First the positives. Very good location. Just off the tram station on willemsparkweg. Friendly staff, met Thomas and Tom. Sweet to offer coffee when we came.
The Negatives were more glaring though:
1) The rooms are very cramped. After you keep your suitcase, there is hardly space to move.
2) The beds are ridiculously uncomfortable.
3) While we asked for a double bed and were confirmed so by the website, we got two single beds shafted together.
4) We asked for a 5 am wake up call since we had a train to catch. No call came. I found this really surprising especially since we were assured we will get a call. It may seem like no big deal, but really small, inexpensive hotels in India give you a wake up call, when you ask for it.
5) The flight of stairs to climb in this hotel can be a pain, if you have big luggage. They are supremely narrow stairs. I had asked for help for taking the luggage down in the morning, but since there was nobody about, i brought down one of the suitcases myself. Thankfully, the guard woke up and helped me with the second, without which I would certainly have deemed this a 1 star review.
For the money spent, i felt vastly disappointed. We had spent two days prior to this in a B&B in Amsterdam at a fraction in this price and felt so looked after.
Vinay & Nidhi
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The cosy boutique hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia (formerly Hotel Zandbergen) features 21 restyled modern rooms in soft pastel tones, with large beds, a desk with a brightly coloured HAY chair and a flat-screen TV. Each room has a private bathroom with shower or bath. Some rooms have a balcony or terrace overlooking the garden. We can put a private mini fridge on request in your room, as well as tea and coffee making facilities . Many additional features you can just take yourself from the colourful hallways. For our single (female) travelers , we have created a comfortable and above all safe environment. The hotel itself is in located in a typical Amsterdam listed building from the early 1900s in residential Amsterdam Oud-Zuid and is one of the few independent and privately owned hotels in Amsterdam.The homely LivingRoom with reception service is furnished and decorated with a unique combination of vintage and contemporary pieces of HAY furniture. Here guests can enjoy our continental breakfast. Complimentary tea , coffee and mineral water is waiting for you upon arrival. From the Honesty Bar in the casual setting of the LivingRoom guests can enjoy a Nespresso coffee, soft drinks, beer, wines, savoury and sweet snacks. Many excellent restaurants are located just outside the hotel on the Cornelis Schuytstraat or on the Willemsparkweg.Wi-Fi is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge. Tickets to various attractions in the area you can get at the front desk where you can also rent a bike (and a packed lunch if you like). By the way, dogs are very welcome too.The famous art-packed Museum Quarter is a 10-minute walk away and houses the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum and the Stedelijk Museum. It’s also close to the renown and exclusive shopping area of the P.C. Hooftstraat. The Amsterdam canal area is easily accessible on foot or by public transport. The tranquil Vondelpark and the Leidseplein entertainment area offer an amusing stroll. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zandbergen Hotel Amsterdam