“Very good experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia to your Saves list
Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Willemsparkweg 205, 1071 HB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Zandbergen)   |
Ranked #48 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
FRANCE
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Conveniently located and clean. Very friendly and competent staff. The upstairs "penthouse" a great deal for four people who want kitchen facilities and privacy, provided they can climb the stairs which may be an obstacle for some. Only negative point but hard to avoid, some noise from airplanes in the a.m. as they arrive in Amsterdam.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hotel Zandbergen was not at all like I pictured it. In large part because we were only in the hotel room for a very short period of time. You see, there was a mixup. We had asked for a "cot", an extra bed, as there was three of us going to stay in the same room. Well "cot" means crib in Europe apparently. And we were three fully grown adults. Due to being fully booked there wasn't many options for us.

Now this is where the Hotel Zandbergen has a gem up it's sleeve. They also operate an apartment next door and for 30euro more a night it could be ours. Being 9pm at night we were open to anything other than sleeping on the floor. So we took them up on the offer. Low and behold we walked into a spacious, two floor, two bedroom, 3 bathroom, 2 spare room, 1 entertainment room, 1 full size kitchen jaw dropping amazing apartment.

We were absolutely speechless the entire time we were there. This place was huge and an amazing treat (besides the weird 70's style wallpaper in one of the bedrooms).

The only bad thing was the main level bedroom had windows that opened onto a rather busy street. You could hear cars til 1am.

I would be open to staying there again let's just say that. :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I would recommend staying slightly further out from the centre of Amsterdam, which I think could be quite noisy, and the area round this hotel is lovely: next to Vondelpark and near lots of good restaurants (Tapa Feliz is highly recommended). It's only 15-20 minutes by tram from Centraal Station; Amsterdam's public transport system is fantastic and I never waited longer than about 5 minutes. Also, it's a small city and you can easily walk to the canals and the museums, etc. The single rooms here are very small, but the bed was comfortable, there was very little noise from other rooms and the breakfast was very good. The owner and his staff are lovely: so friendly and helpful, going out of their way to make life easier: always a good thing.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front will mean noise from the trams, but I found that earplugs sorted this.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Holliston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good location...very good breakfasts...delicious croissants (from Belgium)! Room was small, but clean. Reasonably priced. (There's a discount on-line if you book directly with them.) Front desk people were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Room on the back side are quieter than rooms in the front overlooking the main street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Broxburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We found the people friendly and helpful, the hotel is very convenient for visiting places of interest being within walking distance of many and on a good tram route. The room was OK, basic but clean but the steep stairs would be a problem for some people. The breakfast was enough and coffee was available at any time. We would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago and the experience was so horrible that I had to now look up the hotel and review it -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. First, the good: The hotel itself is conveniently located and reasonably priced. The rooms were clean, albeit dated. I recall that it had free wifi at the time as well. The bad: There is very little extras with these rooms. There is no elevator and most rooms are up many flights of stairs. There was no bellhop or assistant at the time to help carry bags to the room -- you're on your own lugging your suitcases up many stairs. The hotel also has no amenities. Zero. The ugly: The front desk staff and staff in general at the hotel are curt, abrupt, and rude. Moreover, I stayed here with my then girlfriend and they issued us ONE keycard. (What hotel even DOES that these days??) One night, my girlfriend met up with some friends and I went back to the hotel solo to discover the front door LOCKED. Upon ringing the bell, whoever was on duty refused to let me in! (Even though I could show identification that I was a guest in their hotel!!!). Nor would they simply go to the room and deliver to me my personal belongings. I had to find another hotel to sleep in that night and, in the morning, collected my things and checked out. The front desk (owner, I believe) gave me a modest (and curt, as usual) apology. But, it was too late for a lame apologies. I would never recommend this hotel to my family or friends, or anyone else I know and respect. Stay away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I liked this hotel until the day of checkout. The night before I had come down to reception and asked for a 12midday late checkout. She said ofcourse no problem. The next morning I came down to settle my bill the man on duty had such a pretentious attitude and said "shame that is the room we are waiting on". He then said that checkout was at 11am and didn't honor my late checkout agreement. This staff member needs to remember to treat all guests the same manner on checkin and checkout. I paid such an expensive rate and stayed for four nights and I felt really annoyed by the way I was treated on checkout. The room was ok. Tiny bathroom with no division between the toilet or the shower. The floor would be so wet and I would have to place two bathroom mats on the floor to soak up the water. The toilet would be drenched after my shower and I would need to wipe over the sink and shower. I could hardly move in the shower it was so small and I am a petite lady. The ladies on duty were always friendly. The hotel did my laundry and the ladies folded it nicely. The breakfast was ok croissants, fruit, coffee, tea, cereal and so on. I'm vegetarian so it worked for me. I personally think it is an ok hotel and I would have stayed again but that male receptionist really annoyed me. It is a shame that he has different standards for interacting with customers.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia? Share your experiences!