“Nice Hotel right on a tram line” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia to your Saves list
Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Willemsparkweg 205, 1071 HB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Zandbergen)   |
Ranked #45 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Holliston, Massachusetts
“Nice Hotel right on a tram line”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good location...very good breakfasts...delicious croissants (from Belgium)! Room was small, but clean. Reasonably priced. (There's a discount on-line if you book directly with them.) Front desk people were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Room on the back side are quieter than rooms in the front overlooking the main street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Broxburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We found the people friendly and helpful, the hotel is very convenient for visiting places of interest being within walking distance of many and on a good tram route. The room was OK, basic but clean but the steep stairs would be a problem for some people. The breakfast was enough and coffee was available at any time. We would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago and the experience was so horrible that I had to now look up the hotel and review it -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. First, the good: The hotel itself is conveniently located and reasonably priced. The rooms were clean, albeit dated. I recall that it had free wifi at the time as well. The bad: There is very little extras with these rooms. There is no elevator and most rooms are up many flights of stairs. There was no bellhop or assistant at the time to help carry bags to the room -- you're on your own lugging your suitcases up many stairs. The hotel also has no amenities. Zero. The ugly: The front desk staff and staff in general at the hotel are curt, abrupt, and rude. Moreover, I stayed here with my then girlfriend and they issued us ONE keycard. (What hotel even DOES that these days??) One night, my girlfriend met up with some friends and I went back to the hotel solo to discover the front door LOCKED. Upon ringing the bell, whoever was on duty refused to let me in! (Even though I could show identification that I was a guest in their hotel!!!). Nor would they simply go to the room and deliver to me my personal belongings. I had to find another hotel to sleep in that night and, in the morning, collected my things and checked out. The front desk (owner, I believe) gave me a modest (and curt, as usual) apology. But, it was too late for a lame apologies. I would never recommend this hotel to my family or friends, or anyone else I know and respect. Stay away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I liked this hotel until the day of checkout. The night before I had come down to reception and asked for a 12midday late checkout. She said ofcourse no problem. The next morning I came down to settle my bill the man on duty had such a pretentious attitude and said "shame that is the room we are waiting on". He then said that checkout was at 11am and didn't honor my late checkout agreement. This staff member needs to remember to treat all guests the same manner on checkin and checkout. I paid such an expensive rate and stayed for four nights and I felt really annoyed by the way I was treated on checkout. The room was ok. Tiny bathroom with no division between the toilet or the shower. The floor would be so wet and I would have to place two bathroom mats on the floor to soak up the water. The toilet would be drenched after my shower and I would need to wipe over the sink and shower. I could hardly move in the shower it was so small and I am a petite lady. The ladies on duty were always friendly. The hotel did my laundry and the ladies folded it nicely. The breakfast was ok croissants, fruit, coffee, tea, cereal and so on. I'm vegetarian so it worked for me. I personally think it is an ok hotel and I would have stayed again but that male receptionist really annoyed me. It is a shame that he has different standards for interacting with customers.

• Stayed September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

After a bad experience at another hotel nearby, we found the Zandbergen by accident, while walking to find another hotel. Zandbergen's price was cheaper and included breakfast, and a discount over the weekend.

It is a small 3 star hotel on the #2 tram line to central Amsterdam, with the Riijksmuseum in sight, and walking distance. Good eating nearby.

The Manager Henk is also the owner and takes pride in his Hotel with a very good continental breakfast, and helpful tips to guests to ensure they enjoy their stay.
A free computer is in the lobby and WiFi is free also.

While seemingly of minor nature, they even provided top quality toilet paper as opposed to the usual cheap rubbish in many hotels.

Rooms were clean and tidy; we had no complaints whatsoever.
We had problems with some travel arrangements and had to ring home to Australia several times, and were given a discounted call cost.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed for 18 days {8-25 June/2012}

This hotel would get a 5 out of 5 if not for the poor reliability of the wireless Internet. This was a problem for us because we plan and book visits to attractions, verify transportation reservations, plan our day, etc., via Internet.

Other than the Internet, this hotel met or exceeded all of our expectations. It is clean and well located in a safe area, with the tram #2 to Central Station located just outside the door. The owner and staff are extremely friendly. The owner is a wealth of information on Amsterdam and The Netherlands, and there he and his staff do everything possible to make your stay enjoyable. Because of the duration of our stay, our room was upgraded to a studio apartment with a mini stove, a fridge, microwave, etc. Breakfast is served between 7:30 and 10:00 daily and offers a nice variety of bread, cheese, cereals, coffee, tea, etc. We felt very comfortable and cozy, and there was nothing we asked for that was too much. The personal and friendly touch is something that is missing from most major hotel chains. Hotel Zandbergen has managed to retain it. We enjoyed our stay, and we will return again. We highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Try to get the suite -- if you are staying longer thn a week, ask and you likely will get upgraded i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Really amazing location, steps from the tram stop and a few blocks from the Van Gogh museum. There is no elevator so if you take a lot of luggage like we did, be ready to lug your bags up steep stairs. No fault of the Hotel, it's the type of construction which provides this hotel with its charm. Wireless Internet worked just fine, even though there were three of us using it in our room and breakfast was quite complete, though the coffee had to be made by the staff each time you wanted a cup. Beautiful area to go out for a walk. Just a few steps from the entrance of a major park with postcard like vistas. The staff was amazing, very helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the 1st floor if you have many bags, as you'll have to carry them up and down the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia? Share your experiences!