We picked hotel zandbergen on the basis of good tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed.
1. Helpful front office staff. Quick Checkout. You can expect good travel tips from the staff.
2. Location: 2 minutes walk from the tramstop (Tram 2 Cornelius Schuystraat or Tram 16 Emma straat). Quiet, safe neighbourhood. Near the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum.
3. Clean rooms, nice old feel to the hotel. (It is a nicely renovated mansion.)
1. Small bathroom. Bathtub included although tiny.
2. Breakfast: Uninspiring fare but starts you off fine for the day.
1. Steep stairs: We were on the second floor. If you have heavy baggage or find it difficult to take the stairs this might pose a problem since they do not have rooms on the ground floor.
2. No AC: It got quite hot in Amsterdam when we were there in May 2012.
Tips on travel, Airport to the hotel: We took the airport shuttle. We booked the return fare in advance at the airport tourist information (Eur 26 return). This takes you directly to the hotel and picks you up on the day of departure. You have to inform the hotel front desk at least 24 hours prior to departure.
The other option is to take the bus 197, (stop is right outside the airport), get down at stadium plein and catch tram 16 to emma straat (arrives at the same stop where you get down from the bus).
Tips on tourist card: We bought the museumkaart. We found this very useful since we like seeing paintings and this card allows you to visit the same museums multiple times, rijksmuseum and van gogh museum included. The Rijks has a superb collection of Vermeers and Rembrandts and the Van gogh has 3 sumptuous floors of Van Goghs.