“Thank you, Tripadvisor members, for great reviews and advice.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia to your Saves list
Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Willemsparkweg 205, 1071 HB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Zandbergen)   |
Ranked #48 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ontario Canada
“Thank you, Tripadvisor members, for great reviews and advice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We checked all the reviews for Amsterdam in January for our April trip. My advice is to book early! We did not make reservations until late February, and by then it was almost too late to get the rooms we wanted. Amsterdam is a very popular destination, especially in the spring, with all the lovely flower gardens in full bloom, and so much going on in the city. Actually if your trip is planned at any time be sure to book early! We originally stayed in the apartment at the front of the hotel, but found it very noisy. Henk immediately moved us to a lovely double room at the back, with balcony (room 5) where the cherry blossom and magnolias were in full bloom. It is a great, safe area, with lots of wonderful small stores within walking distance, great bakeries, organic groceries, etc. Wonderful people, excellent breakfast. Highly recommend. Very steep stairs though for some. Excellent experience!

Room Tip: Front rooms tend to be noisy if you are a light sleeper. Book early! My favorite room was number 5...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my wife for a 5 night break in Amsterdam.We have stayed in hotels in over 30 countries and we have never received better attention, friendliness nor help. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Nothing was too much trouble for Henk and his staff. Henk was very knowledgeable and his advice about anything to do with Amsterdam was second to none.He always took time and trouble to advise you where you might visit and how to get the most out of your day's sightseeing. Henk made you feel as if you were the most important guests ever - a rare talent. One of his staff recommended a number of nearby restaurants and we ate at a very pleasant Italian one (the Sardegna) which was just round the corner from the hotel. Of all the hotels we have ever stayed in we would rate this as the best. It is no exaggeration ; it really is "home from home".

Bratislava
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I was looking for hotel for my bussines trip. This was very good choice. Single room was small, but comfortable and clean. Breakfast was very good. Hotel staff are excelent and helpfull. Tram stop is near the hotel. From central station take tram no. 2.

Be aware of steep stairs, hotel do not have a lift. But staff will help you with your luggage.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Me and a friend stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights as we were traveling around Europe. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They were glad to provide us with information and tips. Breakfast was nice and plentiful with a variety of juices, breads, cereals, meats, etc. The room was very comfortable and clean. We arrived close to Easter so they placed a little bowl full of chocolate easter eggs in the room (nice touch). They provided soap, shampoo/conditioner, and lotion (something I noticed is not standard in many hotels throughout Europe). I found the location to be perfect! Within walking distance to the Van Gogh museum and other attractions, but not too much in the middle of everything. The hotel is in a pretty quiet part of town. We were able to take tram 2 from the train station and arrive right in front of the hotel. The price is very reasonable for Amsterdam and I was told by one of the staff to call them directly to get the best rates. I will definitely be staying here again when I return to Amsterdam. I left this hotel well rested and with a smile on my face. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Maniago, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed at the "Studio", which is a lovely apartment in a separate building.
We had all comforts, the room was perfectly clean, good choice of food at breakfast, and the whole staff was super friendly.
We couldn't have asked for more!

Fredericton, NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel Zandbergen on the advice of a friend who is from the area. We were very pleased with our stay. It's really more of a B&B than a hotel, so do not go expecting anything fancy. There are steep stairs leading to the rooms, as in many European hotels, so keep this in mind. Henk helped us with our bags. All the staff we encountered seemed to genuinely enjoy making their guests' stay as pleasurable as possible. Henk was ever present, speaking to each guest at breakfast in their native language, offering tips and suggestions and making sure everyone's coffee was topped up. Breakfast was plentiful, with cereals, fruit, hard boiled eggs, ham, cheese and a selection of breads, including very tasty, warm croissants.

We stayed in Room 5 which had an expansive balcony overlooking a lovely garden - it's a shame the weather did not permit us to enjoy it much. There were a few kinks - a burn-out bulb on one side of the bed and a some towels missing on days 2 and 3, but to be fair, we did not point these things out to staff and have no doubt they would have been rectified quickly had we done so. We would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend it highly to our friends. It was within easy walking to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, especially if you cut through the Vondelpark (which is a destination in itself), and a short tram ride to Old Amsterdam, with a tram stop just steps from the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 5 was quiet and had a lovely balcony overlooking a garden.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed in a small, single room in September 2011 for a brief, solo visit to Amsterdam whilst between jobs.

As covered before, Hank is just so lovely and friendly. I was quite lazy getting out of bed and missed breakfast both days but he still brought me over some whilst I sat his computer about 11am. When I checked out, he also waived any charges for what I'd drunk out of the minibar.

The B&B is in a nice, neighbourhood location. I wouldn't say it is an amazing location if you are older or don't like walking. The tram stop isn't that far away at all, but unfortunately for me that tram stop was closed when I stayed at Hotel Zandbergen.

My only one small criticism of the B&B is that when I booked with them I asked for directions from the airport (using the trams) and they never did think to tell me that tram line was shut- which meant I got quite lost for an hour or so on my way to check-in.

Other than that though- you can't really fault the place. My room was small but perfectly pleasant and well kept. Comfy bed and good TV. Well stocked mini bar.

You're not staying at a top hotel, this is a family run B&B. But in terms of "you get what you pay for" you absolutely get value for money here. Plus I very much liked the neighbourhood setting, and Hanks music in the mornings!

Room Tip: If you book a single room, you get a single room. So if you want more space- book a bigger room!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel The Neighbour's Magnolia? Share your experiences!