“Average European hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2e Helmersstraat 14, 1054 CJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #205 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tulsa
“Average European hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Pros: The room was clean,which is my number one concern when staying in a hotel, and had been updated. I liked the location as we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Breakfast was included.

Cons: There was a horrible sewage smell in the bathroom the entire time we were there. The restaurant/bar across the street made for some loud, late nights which normally would be fine except we had our two children with us.

Would I stay there again? Yes. Like I said, cleanliness goes a long way with me.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I spent 3 nights at this hotel and was very pleased. At check in they were very polite and once in my room found it to be very clean. Breakfast was good and did fill me up. The guy who worked over night was a bit of stiff but he added to the experience.lo

I really enjoyed my stay and found the building very secure. Elevator was in perfect working condition.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Helsingoer, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Hotel is located a few minutes from the centric area on foot. We walked from there to all the interest places of the city. Van Gogh museum is also very close to the hotel. There is a park about 500 meters from the hotel called Vondelpark where you can take your running shoes and exercise, At the hotel you can buy tickets to sail on the canals, you get also city maps, and all kind of tourist information.
The rooms are clean and there are service every day. The breakfast is just fine, not at great deal but good enough with different things to choose from. The only thing I wasn't so happy about is the stairs, the steps were very small and not easy to go up or down, even thou I give it 5 stars for the whole package.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel and staff were excellent we stayed for two nights all the reviews about the owner being grumpy i found untrue he was helpful to us, direct yes but helpful, the breakfast was lovely location was spot on so all and all a pleasent stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

stafford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I travelld to Amsterdam with a friend to watch Chelsea verses Benfica and I needed a place that was cheap but in an easy location to get in to centre of Amsterdam. After our flight we got onto the public transport (bus), which took us five minutes away from the Jupiter hotel. We were going to pay 26 Euros each for a return shuttle to our hotel and a taxi was 45 Euros. The public bus was 4 euros each way and it was quick and I would fully recommend this.
I have read other comments about this hotel and everybody seems to say the hotel owner is miserable but we found him to have a dry sense of humour and we felt welcome. The room was ut very clean and tidy just as we expected. We walked back to bus stop where we found plenty of bars, restaurants and shops. We also jumped onto a tram which cost 7.50 Euros for a 24 hour ticket which took us to central station after a 10 minute journey and this put us in the middle of the city. After our match at night we got back into the city centre and then walked back to the hotel which only took 20 minutes.

I feel that this hotel was ideal for a similar short break which allows you to get around the city easily but I would keep away from taxis as public transport is fantastic and cheap.

Room Tip: low floor saves your legs as the stairs are quite steep
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Clitheroe, Lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Positive: Clean quiet rooms, reasonable breakfast, Good location for Leidesplein
Negative: Not even 2 star! Lift unsafe and broken (although allegedly working); Poor F&F in landings (carpets coming up on steep stairs and bare plaster round door frames); Fire exits non existent; No kettle in room (probably a good thing, given the fire safety issues); Use of CCTV to monitor residents (I dread to think)
The manager of this hotel knows NOTHING about customer service. Arrived (11:30am) we were told by one of the staff that we would be attended to within 5 minutes. 25 minutes later he came to allow us to check in (even though he knew we were there). He then told us he was expecting us to pay by cash. I pointed out out (politely) that the info. supplied by booking.com indicated that the payment method would be card (He went on rudely to explain that should I wish to go and stay somewhere else it will cost much more). I did agree to pay the 4% surcharge and left it at that. We had to wait 20 minutes for a table at breakfast the following morning, with no apology (We were not alone - other residents had the same stand offish approach). My wife and son were trapped in the lift for 2 minutes. My wife parked the bicycle she had hired OUTSIDE the hotel for 2 minutes whilst she picked something up and was asked to move it by him immediately, which she did. I arrived later and, unable to get through the hotel main door with my access card, was forced to take my chances in the lift - It broke without moving. The lights flickered on the panel and I couldn't get out. I forced open the doors and got out of the hotel (it's not possible to gain entry to the stairs without going outside). I found another resident unable to get in. Having tried my card again, we gained entry (to the stairs side of the hotel). I was then confronted by the manager who accused me of "breaking the lift AGAIN". I challenged him as to why he thought I had damaged his lift. It transpired he knows there is a fault and has been sat on the CCTV waiting for people to get stuck so he can manually override the controls. I gently pointed out that he prevent people from using it until it had been professionally fixed at which point he slammed the door behind him in a huff.
If you're after material for a new sitcom, a trainee escapologist or just looking for some kind of masochist thrill I would recommend this hotel very highly indeed.

Room Tip: Marriott just down the road
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family