“Would the real Basil Fawlty please stand up” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2e Helmersstraat 14, 1054 CJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #220 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Clitheroe, Lancashire
“Would the real Basil Fawlty please stand up”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Positive: Clean quiet rooms, reasonable breakfast, Good location for Leidesplein
Negative: Not even 2 star! Lift unsafe and broken (although allegedly working); Poor F&F in landings (carpets coming up on steep stairs and bare plaster round door frames); Fire exits non existent; No kettle in room (probably a good thing, given the fire safety issues); Use of CCTV to monitor residents (I dread to think)
The manager of this hotel knows NOTHING about customer service. Arrived (11:30am) we were told by one of the staff that we would be attended to within 5 minutes. 25 minutes later he came to allow us to check in (even though he knew we were there). He then told us he was expecting us to pay by cash. I pointed out out (politely) that the info. supplied by booking.com indicated that the payment method would be card (He went on rudely to explain that should I wish to go and stay somewhere else it will cost much more). I did agree to pay the 4% surcharge and left it at that. We had to wait 20 minutes for a table at breakfast the following morning, with no apology (We were not alone - other residents had the same stand offish approach). My wife and son were trapped in the lift for 2 minutes. My wife parked the bicycle she had hired OUTSIDE the hotel for 2 minutes whilst she picked something up and was asked to move it by him immediately, which she did. I arrived later and, unable to get through the hotel main door with my access card, was forced to take my chances in the lift - It broke without moving. The lights flickered on the panel and I couldn't get out. I forced open the doors and got out of the hotel (it's not possible to gain entry to the stairs without going outside). I found another resident unable to get in. Having tried my card again, we gained entry (to the stairs side of the hotel). I was then confronted by the manager who accused me of "breaking the lift AGAIN". I challenged him as to why he thought I had damaged his lift. It transpired he knows there is a fault and has been sat on the CCTV waiting for people to get stuck so he can manually override the controls. I gently pointed out that he prevent people from using it until it had been professionally fixed at which point he slammed the door behind him in a huff.
If you're after material for a new sitcom, a trainee escapologist or just looking for some kind of masochist thrill I would recommend this hotel very highly indeed.

Room Tip: Marriott just down the road
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Hotel PLUSES are its location, its really worth its price and the breakfasts are good ones! It is located on a quiet street, my room overooked the front of the street but I did not suffer from any noise. On a tram 1 one can get to the tram stop and with some 2-3 minutes walk , you are here. We saw at least three grocery shops in the area. My single room was on the 3rd floor neat, clean; I did not expect it to be much more as I read the room description. Breakfast was a very good continental one, good coffee, and pastry! Wifi signal was not stable but it could be due to simult. use by the guests that cuased signal going down.
But be ready to read carefully the payment conditions, as it turned out if you pay by credit card you are charged 4% fee. On our third day of the stay, the manager asked to make the payment in cash. It was ever first time in my travel practice, usually you credit card is scanned by hotel upon check-in, and when checking out you pay the bill. We decided not to argue but settled the bill by credit card. So when making a reservation read carefully what is stated in the payment conditions!
And I would agree to other tripadvisor reviews of the management and receptionist :-)

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor with elevator!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Very nice hotel and nice hosts. Close to the city center and accessible to many restaurants and clubs. Transportation close by but still very walkable to most attractions. Was able to leave luggage even though the room was not ready yet

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lisbon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

tl;dr: the owner of the this hotel is a menace, rude, aggressive and he can make your stay really unpleasant.

I had read some other reviews saying that the owner was freaking rude but I thought that such thing would never happen with me because I consider myself a really polite and respectful person, big mistake, If you find too many bad reviews about a hotel, believe them and not the good ones (good ones sometimes can be fake).
Our problems started when we arrived, Mr. Owner, It's how we call him because he refused to say his name, completely ignored every single question we made, he just stuck a list of rules in front of us and with his finger pointed that we should read it then asked for a passport and cash for the payment, because we were not informed that we would have to pay with cash I asked if I could pay by card and instead of respond my question he immediately started shouting that we should know this rule because it was written somewhere and so he would charge extra for that, we apologized and said that we didn't know but we could go to a cash machine to withdraw money, so he kept my passport until I brought the money back. After the pleasant introduction anytime we crossed with him and said something like good morning a unpleasant silence and long starring was the response. Till now you probably think, ok he is just someone who lacks people skills, that was our thought till Sunday afternoon, my friend and I came to our room after a long walk, we enter the room and suddenly someone starts banging the door, I open it and the owner is there, he starts shouting at me because the lift's door was open (the lift is one of those that close its door automatically, but it seemed to be broken because we also had to use the stairs several times). After he stopped shouting I respectfully and calmly apologized and told him that he could not talk to me like that, that I was a guest and expect him to respect me the way I ways respecting him, wile I was talking he closed his fists like he was going to punch me when suddenly my friend came out of the room asking what was wrong, then he went away to the lift to close it's door saying that "I would see that was going to happen" threatening us, we then decided to enter the room and close the door. Because it was too late to find another hotel we decided to sleep there (luggage blocking the door), the next morning we checkout straight away to avoid him.

So I recommend you not to use this hotel, there is plenty of alternatives around that are not a menace.

If you think this is too surreal to be truth, check other reviews, filter by "rating" ascending and have fun.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel is in a great location- 5 minutes from Leidseplein- great for bars restaurants etc.
Rooms clean and decent size- we had 3 quad rooms- 1 double bed and 2 that folded down from what looked like wardrobes. Breakfast was pretty good too.

Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Excellently located towards the city centre, nice surrounding in the Oud West quarter, nice pub just around the corner (De Compaenen), good breakfast, nearly suicidal but typical Dutch stairs in a 19th century building, cheap => Recommendation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!