“no lift working” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2e Helmersstraat 14, 1054 CJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #216 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lisbon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

tl;dr: the owner of the this hotel is a menace, rude, aggressive and he can make your stay really unpleasant.

I had read some other reviews saying that the owner was freaking rude but I thought that such thing would never happen with me because I consider myself a really polite and respectful person, big mistake, If you find too many bad reviews about a hotel, believe them and not the good ones (good ones sometimes can be fake).
Our problems started when we arrived, Mr. Owner, It's how we call him because he refused to say his name, completely ignored every single question we made, he just stuck a list of rules in front of us and with his finger pointed that we should read it then asked for a passport and cash for the payment, because we were not informed that we would have to pay with cash I asked if I could pay by card and instead of respond my question he immediately started shouting that we should know this rule because it was written somewhere and so he would charge extra for that, we apologized and said that we didn't know but we could go to a cash machine to withdraw money, so he kept my passport until I brought the money back. After the pleasant introduction anytime we crossed with him and said something like good morning a unpleasant silence and long starring was the response. Till now you probably think, ok he is just someone who lacks people skills, that was our thought till Sunday afternoon, my friend and I came to our room after a long walk, we enter the room and suddenly someone starts banging the door, I open it and the owner is there, he starts shouting at me because the lift's door was open (the lift is one of those that close its door automatically, but it seemed to be broken because we also had to use the stairs several times). After he stopped shouting I respectfully and calmly apologized and told him that he could not talk to me like that, that I was a guest and expect him to respect me the way I ways respecting him, wile I was talking he closed his fists like he was going to punch me when suddenly my friend came out of the room asking what was wrong, then he went away to the lift to close it's door saying that "I would see that was going to happen" threatening us, we then decided to enter the room and close the door. Because it was too late to find another hotel we decided to sleep there (luggage blocking the door), the next morning we checkout straight away to avoid him.

So I recommend you not to use this hotel, there is plenty of alternatives around that are not a menace.

If you think this is too surreal to be truth, check other reviews, filter by "rating" ascending and have fun.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel is in a great location- 5 minutes from Leidseplein- great for bars restaurants etc.
Rooms clean and decent size- we had 3 quad rooms- 1 double bed and 2 that folded down from what looked like wardrobes. Breakfast was pretty good too.

Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Excellently located towards the city centre, nice surrounding in the Oud West quarter, nice pub just around the corner (De Compaenen), good breakfast, nearly suicidal but typical Dutch stairs in a 19th century building, cheap => Recommendation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was not expecting much of this hotel, but it was easy to find, a few blocks away from the Liedesplein, and the staff was very friendly. The elevator was very small and so was the room, but it served our purposes as a young couple traveling on a budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here as was going to see a concert at the ZIggo Dome with friends. 13-16th December

It was a brilliant location, just a few minutes walk into the lively area of Liedsplien however the street that the hotel is located is nice and quiet so get a great night sleep! It was also about a 5 minute walk to a tram stop if you wanted to hop on the tram and go a bit further.

All the staff were friendly, attentive and welcoming, even helping us with the best way to get to places around Amsterdam.

The room was a triple room and had all the added extras; little bottles of shampoos etc, fresh towels every day and beds made, even a little bag of haribo for each of us as we arrived! We had a private bathroom which was lush..Glass shower, and all tiled with a good hot shower!

The room was always nice and warm which made it even more welcoming after being out in the cold exploring all day! Tv with a selection of channels, we even managed to catch eastenders! Free WiFi if you asked at the desk for the code so useful.

Breakfast was served between 7:30 and 9:30 with continental breakfast serving toasts, cereal, selection of cold meats and juices.

Before arriving I emailed to ask the best way to get there and they replied promptly expressing a number of ways to get there, we are also give a selection of maps to look through

Well worth the money and excellent facilities for what you pay, would definatly stay here again!

Laura, 23, England

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!