“doesn't deserve all the bad reviews! you get what you pay for !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Belfort Hotel

Save Saved
You added Belfort Hotel to your Saves list
Belfort Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Surinameplein 53, 1058 GN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #339 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“doesn't deserve all the bad reviews! you get what you pay for !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

my partner and I arrived at the belfort on 20th June 2013 we were staying 3 nights until 23rd June. initially when we saw the outside of the hotel and the previous reviews read on here we were concerned however we were pleasantly surprised. the girl on reception was bright and pleasant and directed us to our room 223. our room was small compact and basic but very clean and pleasant. bed was comfortable and bathroom clean apart from the crack in the bath. only complaints about the room was that it became very hot at times during the night and that there weren't many electrical sockets. breakfast was nice and fresh croissants, bread, buns and cereal etc. only comment about the breakfast was the member of staff who looked constantly miserable and slightly unapproachable behind the bar. as for location the distance from town didn't bother us. the number 1 and 17 trams run regularly (1 is quickest) also we were given good advice from reception to get a 72 hr pass for €16.50 which was very good. overall this hotel good for the money paid and pleasant even though it could do with updating slightly but I would return again.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

The room smelled of a public toilet. It was dirty. The mirror on the wardrobe was broken and stuck together with duck tape. There were holes in the bed linen. Breakfast was poor. Tables were not clean and you had to clear them yourself as in a hostel. Staff not helpful and the hotel was on a very noisy junction. I would rather camp in a tent in the rain than visit this place again. It was awful!

• Stayed April 2013
Kuopio, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

never, ever! breakfast was poor, coffee was horrible, room smelled.. paperthin walls, you could hear your neighbour fart. dirty and filthy. drafty and cold. nearly spoiled my whole stay in Amsterdam. Tram stop near.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Arriving at hotel to check in the reception staff were rude, didnt speak and very vauge with room direction. The room its self was terrible small cramped and damp. The plaster was falling off the walls, ceiling panels covered in mould and damp, windows didnt open and curtains didnt close properly not good especially as our room was on ground floor. The shower room was disgusting looked like it hadnt been cleaned in months and when i complained the girl on reception didnt seem at all surprised or sorry, they did come and make an effort to clean it when we went out but not to a satisfactory level. Right on a main road with paper thin walls left us with a very noisy stay and little sleep. I have no idea when this hotel got its 3 star rating ive stayed in nicer hostels. Speaking to the locals we discovered we could stay in a hotel called Eden right in city centre for the same price, much nicer and clean! AVOID this hotel at all costs i wouldnt send my dog to stay there.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is not a 3 star hotel it should be listed somewhere between Hostel and Hotel. I stayed here with my wife last weekend, I booked it through easyjet so I will be a lot more careful in future. It is situated a good brisk 30 minute walk from the edge of the town centre. The bedroom walls are so thin you can hear everything said in the next room. The stair carpet is threadbare and most of the floors creak as you walk along. The majority of guests during our stay were men, I only saw two other women there in three days and they didn't look happy. The Chinese reception staff were helpful and polite but the woman in the breakfast room is a piece of work. The outside of the building tells you all you need to know before you walk through the front door. Even the cab driver didn't look happy at leaving us there and although he didn't run it down he couldn't find anything good to say either. It is handy for the airport but I imagine so are all the others. The breakfast is plentiful (for continental) but I couldn't say how fresh it was, it could have been the same stuff coming out each morning. The coffee is stewed in an urn all morning, I say coffee because I can't think it was anything else. we had a double bed with single bed bedding. the traffic noise coming through the window (which was closed) drives you mad after a while and you have to get out. The bar could be 24 hour but I never saw anyone in it, the only reason to drink there would be to forget where you were. I feel I should finish on a positive, Amsterdam was lovely.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Belfort Hotel? Share your experiences!