“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Euphemia Hotel

You added Euphemia Hotel to your Saves list
Euphemia Hotel
Fokke Simonszstraat 1-9, 1017 TD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #231 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Hostel seemed fine after staying in hostels for 5 weeks, location was good friendly staff... But if you looking for somewhere without BEDBUGS this is not the place. A disappointing end to our travels.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Turkish first
Worldwide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked here because there was not much else in amsterdam around queens day. I wish we booked somewhere else the ONLY good thing about this hostel is the two young and helpful guys who work at the desk. Other then that this place is a joke, it was 45 euros a night per person for a private room, in a terrible location, also they add a 5.5% city tax when you arrive, is that legal? They also have a credit card fee of 15% none of which they tell you on the website. You cant shower with the door open because the smoke alarm goes off, oh and they say they will charge you 500 euro if you set it off. What a joke. The only good thing about this hotel is the staff(two young men), I wouldnt stay here again, and I wouldnt recommend anyone else to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I found Euphemia hotel through a search on Lonely Planet's website. This was for my first trip to Amsterdam, and from what I could tell from my research based on amenities and location, it became the first viable option I found, but I didn't book it immediately because I wanted to compare availability and prices elsewhere. After looking up all the hostels that my friends and other travel sites recommended, I ended up booking with Euphemia solely because it was suddenly the only hostel available for two beds on the night of Saturday May 4th (Amsterdam's Remembrance and Liberation Day weekend, as well as a football game), and we did not want to move hostels mid-way through our 5 day trip. It was only slightly more expensive than other hostels on some (not all) of the other nights, and we wanted to avoid the super-large 10-people rooms.

My friend arrived the night before me and had a 6-dorm room on the second floor to himself. He had no complaints. When I arrived, I was greeted very kindly and informatively by what I assume was a senior manager/owner. We were fairly warned that articles have easily been stolen in the rooms (even just a phone charger), and we paid for a locker deposit. I was concerned that our reservation was somewhat complicated, but once I arrived I was assigned a bed in the same room that my friend had been in the night before and we weren't required to change rooms during our stay.

The bunkbeds and furniture were simple, but comfortable. The mattresses were covered in an embroidered pattern and this made them seem old, but they were comfortable and I slept well. I didn't find my sheets to be dirty or smelly at all, but I did see a hair on the pillow on the bed above mine. The lighting in the bedroom was poor for using the mirror for your face, but the bedside lights were bright and functional and the window was big. The lockers were metal and free-standing. I felt they were secure but after meeting someone who had a stronger looking locker broken into at a DIFFERENT hostel, I would advise that you bring locks for your suitcase/bags as an extra precaution anyway.

As we chose a non-ensuite room to minimize cost, the bathroom was down the hall and was separated into one toilet for men and one for women, and one shower. We had a sink in our room, which was unexpected and nice. Although the bathrooms were not always prestinely scrubbed clean, the toilets were never out of order or unstocked, smelly, or unsanitary, and I found the shower pleasant and functional because it was well tiled, there was a ledge and a stool and hooks for clothes, the water pressure was normal and temperature was easy to manage, and most of all, there was lots of beautiful natural light. It is my assumption that all the floors had a central bathroom like this but we never ventured past my room and the bathroom. Wifi reception was excellent in our room (first room on the second floor). We also had a large window that opened and allowed us some breeze, and we had thick fleece blankets in our lockers that could have been used if we were cold, but we weren't.

We made two friends in our room that stayed the same duration of time as us and they both also liked the hostel and said they would return. The best thing about this hostel was that it was in a really great location, it was quiet, it was simple, and the staff were more than eager to help - I was lent scissors and a steak knife and allowed to use the fridge to store some food, use the sink to rinse a mug, etc. We were given thorough and good advice on the tours, they had lots of coupons and brochures and tips on comparison shopping etc.

If you're looking for a hotel, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a simple room that you don't spend much time in, then you'll have no complaints staying here. The walk to the central part of Amsterdam takes you across the three main canals and past the flower market, and through some nice neighbourhood streets if you aim for Rembrantplein, but you can also walk to Vondelpark, the heineken brewery and the museumplein in moments unlike other hostels right downtown. There are two cafes right around the corner as well, Mellow Yellow being my favourite in all of the city.

The only negatives are that it doesn't have a good social or lounging area apart from some small tables and chairs on the main floor, but we never really intended to spend time lounging around in the hostel, and we made friends in our room so we could chat and lounge there. If you plan in advance, their rates are reasonable. Of course, I can't vouch for the other floors but even though there is construction for a subway station going on outside, we could only hear songbirds in the morning as our window opened into a backyard/courtyard.

I almost forgot to write a review which might explain the lack of positive reviews you see here, and maybe we got lucky, but I can say for certain we're not the only ones who would stay here again!

Room Tip: If you get a room with a window facing north it will open onto the backyard/courtyard. The stairs ar...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had a lot of the same issues mentioned. I'm not sure of the legality of the tax that they are adding. No other hotels do this in Amsterdam to my knowledge as tax is typically included in Europe. The owner and manager were very rude and combative to the point that I thought that they would leap over the counter and strangle me for bringing this up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Good location but very basic!Not clean, not quiet.Cold rooms.Lots of stairs.Expensive for a budget hostel.The photos in the website looked nice, but the room was very different!
Absolutely regret staying there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

go elsewhere. 1 bathroom for 50 people per floor? Dirty, Gross, disgusting. Go ANYWHERE but here. The ONLY thing this place has going for it is it's in a good location. I should have slept on the street corner instead. I have stayed all over Latin America in hostels, for 1/4 of this price, so I expected a semi-nice hostel with a few shared bathrooms, decent rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Not a bad little place. Very friendly staff and clean rooms. I stayed about a week in a mixed dorm room. Comfortable. Budget style of travel. Tram stop right outside makes it very easy to get around. A nice walk of about ten or fifteen minutes will get you down into the central part of town. a five minute walk to Heineken Brewery. Wi fi in the reception was good but patchier on upper levels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Euphemia Hotel? Share your experiences!