“Dont even think about it!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Maas Hotel
Leidsekade 91, 1017 PN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #281 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Waterford, Ireland
“Dont even think about it!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

Horrible hotel.... stayed here about 4 years ago...wish i had known about this website then so i would have been warned off...paid abbut 100euro a night (stupidly!!)

the room was like a prison cell...it was tiny and there was a tiny window looking out onto a wall...I wasnt expecting luxury but the room was supposed to have a jacuzi in the bathroom....there was no room to even turn around in the bathroom..actually the bathroom was so small the door for it slid across and didnt swing open because there simply wouldnt have been room for it to do that!!

the location was good...but it doesnt make up for it! we were also charged for something from the minibar even though i told the receptionist that we didnt drink anything and he lied and said they wouldnt charge us!

love amsterdam though!!

• Liked — cant think of anything!!!!!
  • Disliked — everything!!
  • Stayed April 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

We booked this hotel on the basis of the pictures & description which we saw on the web and the fact that it was offered through Easy Book. Needless to say we got an awful shock when we actually arrived. There was graffiti on the exterior walls. The staff were rude. The interior of the hotel smelt damp and musty. The rooms were tiny and the bathrooms were filthy. The morning we were due to leave we got verbally abused by the cleaning staff (one guy) who was shouting at us and telling us to get out of room. Never ever ever again would I even consider staying in this kip of a place. It should be removed from all web sites offering hotel deals in Amsterdam. I could not believe that it was rated three stars. It's not even worth one. Again on checking out, we were charged an exorbitant rate of tax 13% where i think the usual is 5%, and of course had no other option but to pay it as otherwise it would have been charged to our credit card. I would advise in the strongest possible terms to anyone considering this place - DONT

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT GO THERE
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2006

This hotel was a damp, dirty, smelly hovel. We explored other hotels but decided to pay extra and stay at Hotel Maas because it offered us a "canal view" room. It looked clean, tidy and well located on-line.

The bathroom smelt awful and was covered in mould. The curtains were stained brown from smoke and the cheap laminate flooring looked like it had not been washed for weeks.

Service was poor and on check out they added exhorbitant taxes and then wanted to charge us an extra €45 to pay by credit card.

Avoid it!

• Stayed November 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

Dont stay here. This hotel is terrible. They would bang on my door at 8:45 am to clean my room and if we were not awake, no service, towels, etc. At the breakfast, a staff member pulled a plate from in front of a guest who was trying to get a piece of bread at exactly 9 am because breakfast was over at 9am. He literally took it from in front of the guest. Then he stared at everyone until they finished eating. Terrible.

• Stayed September 2004
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

Huge stairs, 3 of us staying in 4 bed room, cramped and pretty uncomfortable. There was a metal grate on the window - below street level, everyone can see in, we called it 'the dungeon'. Cute guys working on front desk most of time - only bonus. Wasnt as cheap as i thought it was going to be. My advice, splash out and go for the Americano Hotel next door!

Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

I booked this room 6 weeks in advance and requested a room with a canal view. This was not the first hotel that I had contacted; not many hotels in Amsterdam will let you book a single night, oddly. Our room was an interior room, and the man at the desk said the rooms with views were booked. I told him that was too bad! We could literally touch all 4 walls from the bed, and the walls were very thin. The bathroom was the width of the toilet, and no more. We are thin people and had to maneuver around the curve of the sink bowl in order to sit on the toilet. Bending over the sink caused my rear end to hang out of the bathroom. It was very small. The good part is that the room was clean and was located close to the museums, and was on a quiet street with a canal. And the staff was very polite. I paid about $250 USD, though. A week later I stayed at the Victoria, right across from Centraal Station and paid only about $200 USD for a VERY nice hotel!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2005

I booked the canal view room with waterbed and jacuzzi as a surprise 40th birthday present for my husband. After receiving the booking confirmation from Bookings, I e-mailed the hotel direct to advise them that I had specifically made this booking for these features, particularly the waterbed as I wanted to make his 40th special.

Three days later (and only 3 days before we were due to arrive), I had still not received any confirmation from the hotel so I e-mailed them again then rang them direct (from the UK), only to be told that no such room was available as 'no booking had been received'. I advised them that I had the booking confirmation in front of me, and asked why they had not contacted me 3 days earlier on receipt of my original e-mail, and what would have happened had we just arrived? They merely said that they 'would have found us something, HOPEFULLY'!

After contacting Bookings, they were extremely annoyed with the hotel as they had STILL not received notice that the rooms they were still advertising were unavailable. The hotel then rang me back and offered a room at the rear of the hotel (NO canal view), NO water bed and NO jacuzzi although we could have a free breakfast,as though this was some sort of compensation! Needless to say, I immediately cancelled and frantically made alternative arrangements.

SO BEWARE!!! Do not assume that a confirmation booking will actually get you a room at all, let alone the one you've booked!

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Maas Hotel? Share your experiences!