“Do not stay here !” 1 of 5 stars

Leidsekade 91, 1017 PN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #281 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Do not stay here !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2006

This hotel was a damp, dirty, smelly hovel. We explored other hotels but decided to pay extra and stay at Hotel Maas because it offered us a "canal view" room. It looked clean, tidy and well located on-line.

The bathroom smelt awful and was covered in mould. The curtains were stained brown from smoke and the cheap laminate flooring looked like it had not been washed for weeks.

Service was poor and on check out they added exhorbitant taxes and then wanted to charge us an extra €45 to pay by credit card.

Avoid it!

• Stayed November 2005

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

Dont stay here. This hotel is terrible. They would bang on my door at 8:45 am to clean my room and if we were not awake, no service, towels, etc. At the breakfast, a staff member pulled a plate from in front of a guest who was trying to get a piece of bread at exactly 9 am because breakfast was over at 9am. He literally took it from in front of the guest. Then he stared at everyone until they finished eating. Terrible.

• Stayed September 2004
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

Huge stairs, 3 of us staying in 4 bed room, cramped and pretty uncomfortable. There was a metal grate on the window - below street level, everyone can see in, we called it 'the dungeon'. Cute guys working on front desk most of time - only bonus. Wasnt as cheap as i thought it was going to be. My advice, splash out and go for the Americano Hotel next door!

Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

I booked this room 6 weeks in advance and requested a room with a canal view. This was not the first hotel that I had contacted; not many hotels in Amsterdam will let you book a single night, oddly. Our room was an interior room, and the man at the desk said the rooms with views were booked. I told him that was too bad! We could literally touch all 4 walls from the bed, and the walls were very thin. The bathroom was the width of the toilet, and no more. We are thin people and had to maneuver around the curve of the sink bowl in order to sit on the toilet. Bending over the sink caused my rear end to hang out of the bathroom. It was very small. The good part is that the room was clean and was located close to the museums, and was on a quiet street with a canal. And the staff was very polite. I paid about $250 USD, though. A week later I stayed at the Victoria, right across from Centraal Station and paid only about $200 USD for a VERY nice hotel!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2005

I booked the canal view room with waterbed and jacuzzi as a surprise 40th birthday present for my husband. After receiving the booking confirmation from Bookings, I e-mailed the hotel direct to advise them that I had specifically made this booking for these features, particularly the waterbed as I wanted to make his 40th special.

Three days later (and only 3 days before we were due to arrive), I had still not received any confirmation from the hotel so I e-mailed them again then rang them direct (from the UK), only to be told that no such room was available as 'no booking had been received'. I advised them that I had the booking confirmation in front of me, and asked why they had not contacted me 3 days earlier on receipt of my original e-mail, and what would have happened had we just arrived? They merely said that they 'would have found us something, HOPEFULLY'!

After contacting Bookings, they were extremely annoyed with the hotel as they had STILL not received notice that the rooms they were still advertising were unavailable. The hotel then rang me back and offered a room at the rear of the hotel (NO canal view), NO water bed and NO jacuzzi although we could have a free breakfast,as though this was some sort of compensation! Needless to say, I immediately cancelled and frantically made alternative arrangements.

SO BEWARE!!! Do not assume that a confirmation booking will actually get you a room at all, let alone the one you've booked!

macclesfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2005

Our stay at the hotel proved to be worthwhile and I would definetly reccomend returning in the near future. The hotel itself is in a prime location with lots of bars, coffee shops and restaurants with bags of entertainment to enjoy!
The hotel is in a central part of the city which you would expect to have alot of noise, however no noise could be heard from our room at all. The rooms were of a reasonable size, complete with comfortable beds and a decent sized wardrobe and drawers. The bathroom was exceptionally clean and modern with a sink, toilet and power shower with an inbuilt radio! There were however the downsides to the hotel in the fact that there was no safe( which was stated in the summary of room) and the mini fridge didn't work. Also if you want breakfast you have to either pay extra on top of the price for your room or eat out. The hotel also charges you 10 euros tax on top of your room cost (which isn't stated in the summary). The hotel has very, very steep stairs leading upto the reception area from the main road and isn't ideal for older people, (there is however, a lift upto hotel rooms)
We went to see a local comedy show around the corner from the hotel in the square called 'Boom Chicago', which is based on American humor and improvised sketches which involves the audience throughout the show;a must see!
The hotel itself stands on one of the many canals overlooking the canal bike hire, which again is another worthwhile activity to partake in.
Other fun and exciting activities to do nearby are: Vondelpark (a short walk from the hotel), Heineken Experience, Flower market and the candlelit canal boat cruise.

• Stayed August 2005
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

I stayed at Hotel Maas during the long August 15 week-end. Despite all very attractive comments posted on the Hotel website, my wife and I were very disappointed. We'd chosen a double room with canal view. The cleaning of the room and the bathroom was very poor, plus lots of broken furnitures in the bath room. The room was very noisy and we had the impression to sleep with our neighbours....Very liitle room for the price.
I don't recommend this hotel but rather the American Hotel just next door.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Maas Hotel? Share your experiences!