“Travel broadens the mind !” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Leidseplein Hostel

You added Leidseplein Hostel to your Saves list
Leidseplein Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 79, 1017 PW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #334 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
“Travel broadens the mind !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Last september, I went by train to Amsterdam with my friends for a couple of days.
We just wanted to enjoy the city for the smallest amount of money possible so we took this place. First, we lost ourself on our way to the youth hotel, after a 30-minutes long and boring research, we finally found it : a tiny place next to a coffee shop and a coktail bar, and in front of a nightclub si it was extremely noisy during the whole night ( but sleep isn't a problem if you re a bit drunk).
Besides, the bedrooms and the sanitaries were the basiest possible, at the begining, barely clean, but after midnight, it wasn't a good idea to even DARE to take a shower because of all the dirt. But we had prepared ourself for that : we had paid 15 €/ the night so it wasn't our goal to sleep in a palace. We had planned this trip to visit and go out in the city so, all this bad service's quality wasn't a problem because the only thing we needed was a bed.
If I had to say one good thing about our stay, it would certainly be the vibes : actually we stayed in a 12-persons dormitory and it was really fun ! Everyone talked to everyone and the other customers were polite and self conscious about the other's stuffes.
In conclusion, we can say that your satisfaction depends of your expectations. I recommand this hotel for short travels with friends and for people who won't care a lot about the cleanliness and just wanna have fun !

Room Tip: Don't be scared to took a 12-persons room, even if you don't like to sleep in the same place...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
Tuscania, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hostel was really expensive (I paid less for a really nice hostel in London for 5 days versus 3 days there) and filthy! I took a shower and felt dirtier after the shower rather than before. It is super difficult to find the place, and there were no ladders for the bunk beds. Worst of all, I left a bag there by accident, and they lost it! It took them a week to email me back after I emailed them twice. I would definitely NOT recommend this place. The only good thing about is was that it was near the center of Amsterdam (it was within walking distance) and there were a lot of places to go in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Bamberg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

They totally ripped me off. We we 5 people in a 4-bedroom and everybody paid different prices. I paid more than 74 Euros per night!
What I got for my money:
- simple bread for breakfast without a toaster
- a stinky, hot room (and it was already October) where you couldn´t open the windows
- no ladder for the bunkbeds
- no wardrobe or locker
-dirty bathroom
When my flatemates left, 5 minutes later new people come in- the staff never changed the covers or sheets.. I don´t wanna know how many people use the same dirty covers night by night...
I really recommend the hostel for people who just wanna get stoned and wasted, who don´t care about noise coming from the outside all nigth long and don´t care about dirt and smell. But then maybe you could spend your money for sth cheaper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Rooms were unclean, bathroom was simply appalling. Shower & toilet in same room for 10 people which was filthy and had several inches of standing water at all times. "Breakfast" was a joke with jam, peanut butter and bread. The ´fully equipped´kitchen was a lie. No ovens, stoves, or even a working toaster. The hostel never responded to my email enquiring about a lost item & there were not lockers available (you had to pay 3euros to store your stuff in an unsecure room). The staff were not overly friendly and didn´t help travellers with their stay. Bottom line: it may be the cheapest (even though still appalling expensive), but go somewhere else. Its not worth the few euros you´ll save.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

First of all, Hostel Leidseplein is the worst hostel in the world, any other dump in the Red light district would have been better.the place is almost impossible to find. With only one small sign above the door. It's located above a nightclub ( which makes it impossible to sleep until 6 a.m.) as soon as you come in you get a really bad feeling, everything is ugly and old and the place smells veeeery bad. The staff is very rude and ignorant and they charge waaaay to much for the very poor service you get for it. The rooms are old and ugly as well. The bathroom is old, the shower hardly works and the drain is so bad that the bathroom is always very wet and dirty with hairs everywher. The breakfast includes some mouldy bread with jam or peanut butter... Not even worth waking up for. The staff thinks it normal to come in your room at 7 am without knocking on the door.. One night a guy peed on the floor in our room.. And not to forget the cat who's running around the room (it lives in the hostel and eats your food) one piece of advise DON'T GO THERE it's even worse than you can imagine.. never again

• Stayed August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had a pretty good time at this hostel, even though it took me about an hour to find with my terrible Amsterdam map. Most of my experiences are positive because of the people I met (both guests and staff) and overall I thought the hostel had a pretty chill atmosphere.

The lounge area isn't the best (most of the people sitting in there are people waiting to check-in.check-out and are usually angry) but they have a nice TV, a few computers, and free Wifi. You can also leave some books behind in their "library" (a pile of books/mags on a table) if you're tired of lugging them around. They have a small kitchen area next to the lounge if you want to cook something.

My room was clean during my stay, however the bathroom was pretty nasty and the sink was constantly clogged. Toilet smelled bad, then again I was sharing a room with a half dozen high frat boys. You get what you pay for.

The hostel is in a pretty good location; you can walk to most of the main attractions in less than 20 minutes. You can also take public transit (the hostel is near a tram stop) however you won't need to since most places are in walking distance. If you're here for a quiet stay, good luck. This place is located in party central, and it's always loud outside. But if you're into that, this will be the place for you.

There's lots of bars and coffee shops nearby. Just in case you're worried about stumbling back at night, you won't have to venture too far.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Bed bugs, dirty, smelly.. staff rude! When we saw that the bed linen were dirty reeking of VOMIT odor we asked to change, they said they change only once a week. their motto should be: HYGIENE why right? eww!!!
We slept one night without the duvet covers because we didnt know what to do..and guess what? bed bug bites all over our bodies! and we even heard mice noises all night!
No way to sleep here!!

So in the next morning the rudest ever manager (not Dutch) said he would change us to their sister hostel..
OMG! was even worse! even the staff smelled bad! NIGHTMARE!!
So we asked a refund, We insisted we wanted our money back. but he wouldnt give..(the own manager)!! he ripped us off in 300 euros!! (it was 50 euros each per night)

And no, 50 euro/night in this filthy noisy place is NOT cheap, we've payed 42 euros the night in the STAYOK hostel Vondelpark, which is the freaking Hilton close to this dump..

The sanitary laws should close down this place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Leidseplein Hostel? Share your experiences!