“AVOID AS THE PLAGUE! Mice, Bed Bugs and Puke in the duvet!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Leidseplein Hostel

Save Saved
You added Leidseplein Hostel to your Saves list
Leidseplein Hostel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 79, 1017 PW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #333 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dublin, Ireland
“AVOID AS THE PLAGUE! Mice, Bed Bugs and Puke in the duvet!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Bed bugs, dirty, smelly.. staff rude! When we saw that the bed linen were dirty reeking of VOMIT odor we asked to change, they said they change only once a week. their motto should be: HYGIENE why right? eww!!!
We slept one night without the duvet covers because we didnt know what to do..and guess what? bed bug bites all over our bodies! and we even heard mice noises all night!
No way to sleep here!!

So in the next morning the rudest ever manager (not Dutch) said he would change us to their sister hostel..
OMG! was even worse! even the staff smelled bad! NIGHTMARE!!
So we asked a refund, We insisted we wanted our money back. but he wouldnt give..(the own manager)!! he ripped us off in 300 euros!! (it was 50 euros each per night)

And no, 50 euro/night in this filthy noisy place is NOT cheap, we've payed 42 euros the night in the STAYOK hostel Vondelpark, which is the freaking Hilton close to this dump..

The sanitary laws should close down this place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Okay, so we booked this as a group of 6 boys for a holiday. we arrived at the door which was poorly signed, and rang the doorbell, after waiting 5 minutes and the door being opened by a GUEST we went upstairs. When we arrived there was a bald man with glasses on the computer and he didn't even acknowledge us. We told him we had a booking and he told us to sit down. After waiting over half an hour we discussed looking around for a better alternative, to which the bald mans ears perked up and he came over and said we could check in ( after paying the £300+ fee). We asked him to view the rooms before paying and he insisted we paid first. We started to walk to the door and he ran infront of us and blocked the door. He said he would call the police, which we replied we were law students, he then tried calling his friends down to stop us leaving. He also took my friends EUIC. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

First of all, this is a cheap hostel so I was not expecting much but I got even less. It's location is great and the rooms (I stayed in an 8 bed dorm) were fine although grimy. The problem with this hostel is the staff. I stayed for two nights ,on the second day a new person was moved into our room at the expense of someone who was still staying at the hostel. Expect to be juggled around for no reason if you are a single traveller.

This would have been fine and not affected me except the person who was moved into our dorm waited until everyone fell asleep before stealing my bag. This man checked in with no baggage, no clothing and simply lazed around the hostel all day eyeing up valuables. If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd believe the staff know more about this than they are letting on. When I reported my bag stolen the advice of the staff was that "This has never happened before", "We cannot do anything", "The CCTV has not been working for a month" and "We cannot call the police you must go to the police station."

If you are considering this hostel be extra vigilant.

Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place should be closed down - its 2013 and this is like a place out of the war. The service is horrendous. We paid £900 for 2nights in a 8man room - begged for a Fan and they laughed at us. Beds and pillows arent good enough for prisons. Forced us to pay cash as well - must be a tax dodge there!

Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed 2 nights solo in this hostel and it wasn't that bad. I was sceptical because of the reviews but my stay was pleasant.

The downsides:
- rooms are very hot and noisy (its in the city centre so bring earplugs)
- No lockers
- a bit dirty
- beds are quite short in length

The upsides:
- Location! Very close to everything
- Price - very cheap
- staff were fairly helpful
- the wifi in my room worked well (on level 1)

Because of the lack of lockers in the room i carried my valuables with me most of the time which was a little annoying but ok. This might be different if you're travelling in a group. Besides a bit of grime it was fine - you can't expect anything fantastic for this price and I enjoyed myself.
I would stay here again for sure if I was short on money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Liked: The location (many restaurants and easy to get around)

Disliked: This hostel is not what it appears to be, for you don't get what you pay for! To start off the staff are very average with assisting people. The only person who made an effort to great people was the manager. The "locker room" doesnt seem to be very safe, as it was left open. I recommend keeping your valuables with you! The common room isn't really a common room, making it harder to befriend people. The rooms them selfs are bearable, but the bunk beds have no hand rails or ladders. The bathroom is grotty and appears to be unhignic, the towels are 1.50 euro each. The wifi is ok but drops out now and then. The so called breakfast is just plain white bread with either peanut butter or jam with tea or coffee. I most defiantly would not recommend staying here, because I am certain you could find much much better in Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Good location near restaurants parks and tram line to central station. Rude and unhelpful staff. Good wifi. Rooms not thourghly cleaned, window sills were disgusting inficates a general unclenlisness everywhere. Would never go near this place again. Rip off.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Leidseplein Hostel? Share your experiences!