“Not what I was expecting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Leidseplein Hostel

You added Leidseplein Hostel to your Saves list
Leidseplein Hostel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 79, 1017 PW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #330 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Not what I was expecting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Liked: The location (many restaurants and easy to get around)

Disliked: This hostel is not what it appears to be, for you don't get what you pay for! To start off the staff are very average with assisting people. The only person who made an effort to great people was the manager. The "locker room" doesnt seem to be very safe, as it was left open. I recommend keeping your valuables with you! The common room isn't really a common room, making it harder to befriend people. The rooms them selfs are bearable, but the bunk beds have no hand rails or ladders. The bathroom is grotty and appears to be unhignic, the towels are 1.50 euro each. The wifi is ok but drops out now and then. The so called breakfast is just plain white bread with either peanut butter or jam with tea or coffee. I most defiantly would not recommend staying here, because I am certain you could find much much better in Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Good location near restaurants parks and tram line to central station. Rude and unhelpful staff. Good wifi. Rooms not thourghly cleaned, window sills were disgusting inficates a general unclenlisness everywhere. Would never go near this place again. Rip off.

• Stayed July 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this hotel via expedia. After I read the review here I decided to cancel my booking with this hotel. The cancellation was made two weeks ahead of the cancellation policy but somehow this hotel still charged me for the first night of my booking. I have been calling expedia to resolve this issue for a week but each time expedia told me that they were not able to speak to the hotel manager who is in charge of all transactions. For almost a week now I have been calling expedia every day and each time they replied the same that the hotel manager would be available in the afternoon but when i called expedia in late afternoon they constantly told me they were unable to speak to the hotel manager. I have no idea what kind of hostel they are running...its day light robbery!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

See where the other reviews are coming from but it wasnt really that bad.
It did have a great location and i thought it was clean enough.
Dont bother with brekkie if you are afraid of bread mould and hope you get a room on the quiet side of hostel

Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked this hostel as a back up plan in case my other plan fell through, which it did. As such, I hadn't done much research. When I arrived, I was greeted by the strong smell of marijuana floating through the whole place, but I accepted it - when in Amsterdam, I suppose. The carpet was torn and grungy, and the whole place looked like it hadn't been fixed up in about 10 years. There was peeling and terrible wallpaper everywhere. For some reason, there were famous American places in every room, including in our room, in which the Grand Canyon (which is in Arizona) had a huge "Colorado" sign under it.

It was generally quite dirty and smelly, and the bed sheets and duvet looked extremely dubious. The bathroom was terrible, and the water spilled out of the shower, despite our best efforts, into the toilet area, where it was impossible to get rid of.

I experienced the rudest and dumbest fellow 'room mates' out of all those I have met during my travels. Yes, it's a hostel so I didn't expect much, but shouting and turning lights on at 4am is just unnecessary regardless. The staff seemed pretty unreliable and uncaring at the best of times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Good location with a coffee shop downstairs. :) But thats about it.

Unfriendly and greedy staff, run down facilities and smelly, worn matrasses.

Def. ok for a night but go somewhere else if you can....

Stayed August 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Where do we begin. Spent 4 nights here recently and at a first glance the hostel doesnt seem too bad (we weren't expecting much!). Got charged extra when we arrived that we were expecting which you should watch our for. The staff will take every opportunity to walk into your room. The do a supposed 'head count' at about 7am which is not very nice! They do not knock before they come in and we came back one day to find our window left wide open which could easily have been accessed. Take all valuables with you. On the second to last morning one member of staff tried to throw us out because they thought we were checking out, which we then had to root through an unemptied bin to find our receipt (whilst the guy watched) to prove to them we were not leaving till the next day. DIdnt even get an apology for the trouble. WE also kept getting told that we were being disrespectful for using the 10th bed in the room (we were a group of 9) even though we paid for the private room. Location is fab and if you are willing to put up with the staff then it isnt a bad place, however it felt that every time i woke up i was being watched by a creepy guy that stood over us as though it was no big deal.Definitely a last resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Leidseplein Hostel? Share your experiences!