“Location great, everything else poor” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Leidseplein Hostel

You added Leidseplein Hostel to your Saves list
Leidseplein Hostel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 79, 1017 PW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #332 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
“Location great, everything else poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked this hostel as a back up plan in case my other plan fell through, which it did. As such, I hadn't done much research. When I arrived, I was greeted by the strong smell of marijuana floating through the whole place, but I accepted it - when in Amsterdam, I suppose. The carpet was torn and grungy, and the whole place looked like it hadn't been fixed up in about 10 years. There was peeling and terrible wallpaper everywhere. For some reason, there were famous American places in every room, including in our room, in which the Grand Canyon (which is in Arizona) had a huge "Colorado" sign under it.

It was generally quite dirty and smelly, and the bed sheets and duvet looked extremely dubious. The bathroom was terrible, and the water spilled out of the shower, despite our best efforts, into the toilet area, where it was impossible to get rid of.

I experienced the rudest and dumbest fellow 'room mates' out of all those I have met during my travels. Yes, it's a hostel so I didn't expect much, but shouting and turning lights on at 4am is just unnecessary regardless. The staff seemed pretty unreliable and uncaring at the best of times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Good location with a coffee shop downstairs. :) But thats about it.

Unfriendly and greedy staff, run down facilities and smelly, worn matrasses.

Def. ok for a night but go somewhere else if you can....

Stayed August 2012
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Where do we begin. Spent 4 nights here recently and at a first glance the hostel doesnt seem too bad (we weren't expecting much!). Got charged extra when we arrived that we were expecting which you should watch our for. The staff will take every opportunity to walk into your room. The do a supposed 'head count' at about 7am which is not very nice! They do not knock before they come in and we came back one day to find our window left wide open which could easily have been accessed. Take all valuables with you. On the second to last morning one member of staff tried to throw us out because they thought we were checking out, which we then had to root through an unemptied bin to find our receipt (whilst the guy watched) to prove to them we were not leaving till the next day. DIdnt even get an apology for the trouble. WE also kept getting told that we were being disrespectful for using the 10th bed in the room (we were a group of 9) even though we paid for the private room. Location is fab and if you are willing to put up with the staff then it isnt a bad place, however it felt that every time i woke up i was being watched by a creepy guy that stood over us as though it was no big deal.Definitely a last resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night and thank goodness that was all. The hostel was in good location but that is the only good part. The staff were very rude, extremely unhelpful and the rooms were a disgrace. Our toilet had a mouldy whole in the roof and we had no lights in our room. We asked for the lights to be fixed and were accused of being ridiculous. There was a horrible atmosphere in the hostel and the wifi would hardly connect. Out of a total of 8 hostels stayed in, this is by far the worst. I definitely do not recommend this dump!

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Unclean, hole in ceiling, no lights in the room! The wifi would barely connect and the stairs within the hostel were dangerously steep!

after speaking to staff we were told that we were "ridiculous to think there was no lights in the room" for them to then confirm we were intact right and then fail to correct this.
Out of all hostels stayed in throughout a three week trip this was by far the worst we had seen and staff were very unhelpful

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went here for my birthday on Friday and I just came back earlier today and I've been practically dying to come onto Trip Advisor and to write a review on this TERRIBLE hostel. I've never written a review on this type of thing ever and I never have wanted to but I've decided to write this so that I can help people in advance before they think of coming here.
When I first booked it, i knew it was a hostel and I wasn't looking for it to be extremely nice or anything. As long as it was clean etc then It would be fine, just the basic necessities really.
It was four of us girls in our 20's and we had already missed our flight to get to Amsterdam so we slept at the airport and then caught the next plane in the morning. We were already tired and distressed and was looking forward to getting to our hostel.
The location is great but when we arrived to the desk, the man said "what do you want" he was soooooooo rude, i can't even put it into words. The customer service was atrocious and I was so so shocked then i couldn't even speak (I practically numbed up with rage)
He kept getting phone calls and would constantly ignore us in front of our face and we had to repeat at least 5 times what we wanted. He didn't speak to us until half an hour later!
It turned into a bit of an argument and then the manager started shouting at us and being really disrespectful to all us girls. He even came out behind the desk at one point and raised his hand to my cousin. He wasn't professional at all and he didn't listen to us one bit, we couldn't get a word in edgeways.
I would never lie about how bad something is but this was appalling to say the least.
Also a man lost his laptop that he had left with staff and nobody including the staff were trying to help him find it so clearly you can't even trust the staff.
I work in the Catering Industry and I can tell you that customer service is so important, having it can make all the difference.
The place was very dirty with sticky tables that looked like they haven't been cleaned from breakfast or whenever. Personally I would of rather slept in the park to be honest. I didn't want to be somewhere like that and where we are not wanted.
I already paid a lot of money for us to stay there before hand when i booked through the website and they wanted extra money and have taken out more then I should be paying.
They ripped me off and are trying to trick people!
It was so bad that we just told them to keep the money and we ended up staying somewhere else so we wasted nearly a whole day trying to look for another place to sleep because we had to find one in the last minute as we never booked anything else. We were so stressed out carrying our luggage's everywhere!
They really treated us like crap and I'm happy we didn't end up staying there. He also said that if we say in the hostel, that he would put the prices up. What a Jerk!!
There's lots of other hostels or hotels around so don't just settle for this one. Downtown hostel is good and Meeting point which there both in the city center's and are great for having a good time and meeting people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

If you want a BAD experience then this is the place for you!
Don't waste your money. If I could do my time over, I would rather sleep in the street of Amsterdam. I will list the bad things about this hostel.
First of all staff made us wait 2 hours to check in.
Would not accept that we changed our booking a week earlier and made us pay the full amount.
It is expensive
You will not sleep till 6am as it is above a nightclub
Beds were unformfortable and gave me bed bugs
Bathrooms were rarely cleaned
There is a cat that lives in the building and tries to eat your food
It had the steepest staircase in the world, it compares to Everest (trust me, I've climbed it)
The place smelt like your grandmothers underwear!
Your valuables will not be safe, staff are not trust worthy

Room Tip: Don't go!