“When I go back to Amsterdam I will stay at Hotel Prins Hendrik again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Prins Hendrik

You added Hotel Prins Hendrik to your Saves list
Hotel Prins Hendrik
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 52 - 57, 1012 AC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #184 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“When I go back to Amsterdam I will stay at Hotel Prins Hendrik again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This Hotel is a pleasant Home away from home. Staff very helpful, answered all my questions. And then there is the very excellent coffee, that too is a reason to come back. I arrived by train and sure enough, the Hotel is a short walk away from Amsterdam Central. Travelling by myself, I need a place where I feel safe. Hotel Prins Hendrik is the place I will stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Selkirk, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I chose to spend a couple of days in Amsterdam to break up a long trip from the middle of Canada to Rwanda. This hotel offers an excellent location, central to the train station, Red Light District, exhibitions, etc. - a great base from which to tour the city. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was surprisingly good with a wide array of tasty selections.
The staff were amazingly helpful - I had to finalize my visa for Rwanda while in Amsterdam and they were 100% helpful. Hotel Prins Hendrick is great value for the money and the staff extremely helpful for the traveller.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The service was very good. All the staff were friendly and polite. The fact that breakfast was included was a bonus, it was plentiful and a good selection.
The room was pretty basic but decent. We had a double room and the bed was a really good size and comfortable. The location was great, absolutely excellent. Close to Amsterdam's Centraal Station. Also shops, bars, all amenities, including popular tourist attractions.

The only slightly negative was the fact that our room overlooked the street, therefore very noisy in the nightime. However, this would not prevent us from using this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I wanted to stay at a place near the Amsterdam Central Station. I came across the Hotel Prins Hendrik,on the street with the same name. You can literally see The train station from the hotel lobby and bar. I checked in with (Thomas) the front desk guy. He was great,funny,nice and accommodating. He checked me in swiftly. Which I was glad,I was in need of a shower badly.
I had been out touring the sights and it was a really hot day in Amsterdam that day.
I took the small elevator up to the first floor to my room. I opened the door,and WOE!
The room was filled with the smell of marijuana! (The window was open,so I'm sure that's where the smell was coming from.) There's no Air conditioning ,so I had no choice,but to leave the window open.
Now,mind you,I knew marijuana was legal in Amsterdam . So,I didn't mind,I even found my situation funny.
Anyways, the room was a single with two twin beds,a desk and chair. A T.V. hung from the wall.
An annoying step down then another step up lead to the bathroom.(I kept tripping over the steps.) The bathroom was really clean and looked brand new. A shower and tub combo. A shampoo/body wash dispenser hung in the tub. Near the sink was another soap dispenser for washing up.
The hotel offered a lovely continental breakfast. A typical buffet of sliced meats and cheeses. Fresh fruit,apple,oranges and bananas. Cereal,breads,croissants, Hot tea and coffee.
You can sit by the open door while eating and enjoy views of the Central Station and canal.

The hotel is in a great location,close to the red light district,canals and museums. I took the hop on hop off bus which included a canal cruise. Loved it!
I would recommend this hotel to the casual traveler,that want a clean room , great location and value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Prins Hendrick is reasonably priced and ideally situated. The service was good; breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice, Our room was basic but a good size, with an enormous, comfortable bed, and it overlooked the front of the hotel and the pavement café. The Red Light District is just around the corner and packed with reasonable places to eat.
On the downside, the temperatures were in the high 20's during our 4 day visit to Amsterdam and there was no air conditioning in our room; opening a window was not an option at night as the streets were busy until dawn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice, the last time earlier this year. Would I go back to it? Possibly, and I might suggest it to other visitors, but with one or two caveats. The location is excellent - just across from the Central Station, and the tram and 'bus central stops. The main shopping area is a few minutes walk, so the position cannot be faulted. There is a bar part of the hotel complex which is ideal for people-watching. The restaurant on the other side of the reception is all right if you fancy a meal which is reasonable value, but not a great gastronomic treat. However, with the excellent location, comes the diasadvantage of a certain amount of noise, depending on which room you get. The rooms are generally 'basic', verging on the tired, and although reasonably clean, have a slightly depressing feel to them. The place is good value, if you are not very fussy about having all the frills - it will be hard to find a cheaper place with such a location. If you only want a couple of night's bed and breakfast, then this might suit you well. If you are looking for a bit of pampering, then I suggest you consider going elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I primarily wanted a hotel that was cheap for one night and was close to the Railway station. Both of those are true of the Prins Hendrik.

After what seemed a great start the staff turned out to be vague and their administration was bad enough that someone from "housekeeping" wandered into my room at 1.30am. They left quick enough when I shouted at them. Reception then rang the room phone at 2am to ask who I was as they didn't know.

The rooms are probably best described as "ready for refurbishment" - clean and tidy but worn and unfashionable, and they do not have aircon so were pretty warm - but it was unusually hot in Amsterdam at the time so maybe not their fault. Same with the noise - this is not a quiet hotel, but you won't find one this close to the railway station.

In the morning there was no power, so no light in the bathroom and no hot food or coffee for breakfast.

I appreciate that many of my problems above were not in the control of the hotel but my overall experience was so bad that I can't give more that 1 star.

A small refund would have been a nice gesture that would have gone a long way to up my rating...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Prins Hendrik? Share your experiences!