“Great Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of RHO Hotel

Save Saved
You added RHO Hotel to your Saves list
RHO Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   NES 05-23, 1012 KC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #120 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Alabama
“Great Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Location, location, location! I’ve stayed at the RHO Hotel several times and like it better than anywhere else I’ve stayed in Amsterdam. It ain’t the Ritz, so don’t bother if that’s what you want. The RHO is at the heartbeat of Amsterdam and is a great place to stay for visiting all the great places the city has to offer. It’s a huge bargain if only because of the location. However, add all the other things the RHO provides and it’s very difficult to beat, for the price. They have a spacious comfortable lobby, helpful and courteous staff, bar, wonderful breakfast with hot food and cold food, clean rooms, wifi, in-room safe, and windows that open. If you want a beer and the bar’s closed, you can buy one in the vending machine! I’ve always had a very comfortable bed and enjoyed a sound night’s sleep while staying there. There are so many great places to visit within easy walking distance! The Albert Heijn grocery market is just a short walk away. Whatever you interests, they’re easily visited from this location. Amsterdam’s public transportation is really good, so it’s easy to get around. I walk from Central Station to the RHO. Once I had a taxi take me because a wheel broke off my suitcase. The taxi driver said, “But sir, the RHO Hotel is just a few blocks away.” After I showed him my suitcase was missing a wheel he understood. I recommend the RHO Hotel to anyone I know visiting Amsterdam. I’ll be staying there again in a couple of months. I took advantage of their 10% discount for booking online on their website 2 months in advance. I’m counting the days!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Pros: good breakfast, staff friendly, wifi access (strange 6 hour password system....), close to Central Station, view of Dam Square from breakfast area

Cons: small rooms, worn, tiny towels, little dirty. Motel 6 furnishings. Very basic for a 3-star and for this price.

Will try someplace else for this $$$ next time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

After reading the review on this site I was hoping the hotel would be good.

We booked a twin room and a suite for a group of us over the weekend. The twin rooms where average and the carpets were a bit old and warn. The bathroom/wet-room smelled really bad and the room was very basic (no tea or coffee making facilities).

The apartment was a little bit better although still very basic with dated furniture and fittings. The balcony that was promised was overlooking an office and was only good for smoking.

With the exception of a couple of people the staff were generally very helpful and did have a good understanding of the area.

The location was fantastic. About 10 steps from Dam Square. Its just a shame the building/hotel was so old and dated.

If you just want a simple hotel and a bed for the night in a good location then go for this. If you want to stay in an apartment I would recommend the greenhouse effect. We stayed there a few years ago and their apartments are a lot newer and nicer and only about 5 mins from here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Arrived while world cup final was being played, stopped for one night, bedroom was large,very clean, and the staff couldnt do enough for us.
Good location on the corner of Dam Square,will definatley stay again,Breakfast served till late morning and was very good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

The only advantage of the Rho hotel is its location, right behind the Dam square. However, rooms were small, basic close to shabby, noisy and without air conditioning. At the reception you are asked to PAY IN ADVANCE for the rooms, which is definitely not a consumer oriented policy. Hotel parking, if available, is expensive (some 38 euros) and close public parking is about 50 euros.
For sure there are better deals in town.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Jakarta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

The location of this hotel is great, just in front of Dam Square, minutes from Central Station. We booked a triple room, and the room was sufficient for the 3 of us. The bed was comfortable. But there was no AC, just a fan. Since we arrived at night and it was cold, it was not a problem to us. However, the shower didn't work. There were 2 taps, one for hot and one for cold, and the cold one didn't work at all. We found out about this late at night so we didn't bother asking the staff to fix it. In the morning we had to leave early for our flight, so we ended up not taking a shower because of this. For the rate we paid, we expected more of this hotel.

We paid for this hotel when we checked-in, which was weird for us, most hotels ask for payments during check-out, but not this one. Anyway, it was not a big problem we just found it weird, like they didn't trust us or something.

The staff...well...they were rude, unfriendly, stuck up, and had the air like they were better than us. When we checked-in, I asked my mother to check-in for us and for some reason, the guy at the reception couldn't find our booking. I told him again that we booked under my mother's name, and he finally found our booking and then told my mother that "You could've told me your name"...like she was annoying him, how rude. The next day after we checked-out we had to leave soon to catch our flight so we asked the receptionist to call a taxi for us. She did and asked us to stay in the lobby and wait for the taxi. About 15 minutes later my mother went out and saw a taxi near the front door of the hotel and thought it was our taxi. So we immediately got out, brought our luggages, and thanked the receptionist. When we got out, the receptionist caught up to us and asked us not to get to into the taxi because it was not the one she called for. And she very rudely told us "You can't ask me to call a taxi for you and then you get in another taxi!" and she stormed off inside. I was baffled and outraged. How were we supposed to know that it was not our taxi?! She didn't explain anything! Anyway, we ended up not getting into the taxi and I went back in to ask her what was the name of the taxi she called for. She didn't tell me the name of the taxi just that usually the taxi driver of the taxi they called for would get into the hotel and let the receptionist know that they've arrived. If we get into a taxi she didn't call for, we could get charged double (which I doubt because we have been in Amsterdam several times and this never happened). And she very rudely said that she didn't care what taxi we got into, that she only did that for us. Well, she could've told us nicely and not rudely like that. I mean she's a receptionist, working in hospitality industry, and should be friendly to their guests at all times! Anyway, around 5 minutes later the correct taxi arrived. Because of this very rude receptionist, I will never ever go back to this hotel despite the great location. The rate isn't great either. Expensive for what we got...broken shower and rude staff. Thank God we only stayed one night...definitely don't stay at this hotel if you don't want to meet rude staff.

• Stayed July 2010
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I booked this whole on some advice from a friend for 5 nights in late June and it was great. Wonderful location literally minutes from Central Station, a few metres away from Dam Square. I booked a single and I knew what to expect a small room but by Amsterdam standards it was very good, the staff was wonderful and always helpful, breakfast was included and was plentiful,the only downside was the wifi which required a password and didnt always work with my Iphone, but there are 2 computers on the ground level available for guests to use. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to RHO Hotel? Share your experiences!