“Charming Hotel Run By Charming Couple” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fita

Save Saved
You added Hotel Fita to your Saves list
Hotel Fita
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Luykenstraat 37, 1071 CL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #6 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
San Rafael, California
“Charming Hotel Run By Charming Couple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed with Hans & Loes in their quaint hotel. Very, very clean with top-notch service. As in many of the "family" hotels in Amsterdam and elsewhere in Europe, there are stairs at the front entrance. Hans had us wheel our luggage around to the side entrance and wisked our luggage up to our room via the elevator, so there was no heavy lifting for us. Love the breakfasts and free wi-fi as well. Hans cheerfully arranged to have a private taxi come for us when we were ready to leave for our cruise in Rotterdam. Yes, we took a taxi instead of the train to Rotterdam. A very pleasant ride with a very nice gentleman in his clean automobile that was big enough to handle all of our luggage for a 24 day cruise. It was worth the $120 Euro we had to pay. Thanks Hans & Loes for another delightful stay.

1,179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Whitestone, N.Y.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This wonderful little hotel run by Hans, Lois and Roule provided us with everything we had hoped for: perfect location, attention to our every need, large beautiful room with a balcony, superb breakfasts topped off with Hans' incredible pancakes. If you are looking for a smaller, charming hotel that has your comfort in mind, I recommend Hotel Fita wholeheartedly. Harry Max

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I will echo the sentiment that your feeling about the hotel will depend strongly on what you're looking for. One reviewer said it may not be the place for you if you want "bells & whistles"; indeed I would argue that you might miss some of the standard hotel features.

First off, yes, this is a wonderfully personal hotel and you definitely feel at home with the owners. Hans is a wisecracking guy with a big booming voice and is a delight. HIs wife and the rest of the family/staff are also quite friendly and happy to do what they can to make you happy. They serve up quite a breakfast every day as well. I am a light eater so I didn't partake, but they will apparently cook you eggs and pancakes to order and they also give you a fresh glass of pressed orange juice.

I also liked the location in the Museumplein. Close to what you want and not what you don't, if you don't. And they do your laundry for you for free, same day! Wow.

At the same time, a few things took away from the experience. For me, one thing was that there isn't anyone stationed at the front desk. You have a key to the hotel to come and go as you wish, but the problem is that unlike other hotels, even small boutique ones, you have no one there to whom to say "hey, do you know x, y or z?" Like if you want quick directions to something or want to request something for your room. You can reach them by calling on the phone from your room, but it's kind of a pain to have to go back inside and make a phone call instead of having someone there. Also, my room was a little too utilitarian for my taste. I don't mind a small room at all (see my review for base2stay) but it's not as nice if the furnishings/design are not especially cozy. The bathroom too was a little institutional with wall mounted soap push dispensers and disposable packaged washcloths. My room was also too chilly for me, as it's heated by radiators like you would find in your apartment. I'm used to being able to crank the heat if I'm cold in a hotel.

All in all I my stay was fine but I guess I am not as big a fan as the other reviewers since it's #3 in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Feel like being spoiled? This family-run business will do just that. Upon arrival you are greeted with two lovely glasses of wine and snacks. Our host and hostess provided customer service beyond compare! The hotel is in a great location and we walked to most activities. After a great hot breakfast, Hans and Loes sent us off to enjoy the day with some outstanding site-seeing suggestions. Very homey. Don't forget to check out the rubber ducky in the bathroom.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Believe the good reviews, this place really does have all the qualities described. I can kind of see what some of the more luke-warm descriptions mean as there is a bit of wear and tear about the place, but only of a very minor kind. Our room (the one with a balcony) was lovely, the beds exceptionally comfortable, a huge bathtub as well as a shower which was an unexpected bonus. The breakfasts are truly wonderful, not only the rightly-praised pancakes but the selection of fruit and nuts to go with cereal and yoghurt and the best scrambled eggs I've had in any hotel. The location gives easy access to the canals as well as the museums and getting to the old centre is a reasonable stroll or a quick tram ride. The owners also very kindly pointed out that the 197 bus to the airport was only 4 euros compared with the 14 we'd been about to pay for the hotel shuttle service.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

quiet tree-lined street traditional Amsterdam-style house turned hotel. Staff very helpful and welcoming. Four-day stay relaxing. Food & conversation great!

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Good things about the hotel:
- close to museums, quiet area
- free international calls (including Asia) and internet & wifi, with good connection
- free laundry
- generally nice (welcome drink was available for us as well)
- type A room has Nespresso in it with 4 free capsules to use.

Bad things about the hotel:
- not really central in terms of location, need to take the tram for 20 minutes to reach the core area (i.e. Dam square, centraal station)
- paid extra 30 euros for an extra bed but wasn't arranged when we arrived
- free laundry was provided on the first day. The host told us to just leave our clothes in the laundry basket and leave the basket in the room. They did the laundry for the first day, but didn't do it for the 2nd time. The clothes were just left in the basket untouched.
- international call to certain countries didn't work from the room's telephone. I had to ask for another telephone from the staff to do that. It took a long time.
- They were kind enough to offer museum tickets at the hotel to avoid queuing for tickets at the museum. But they didn't tell us at all that they will charge extra fee for that and added the fee to the bill without mentioning it (I only discovered that long after I paid the bill)
- while the hotel emphasises it is very clean and hygienic, stains on laundry basket, coffee mugs, toilets are often discovered.

Overall, the room is alright. However, charging 200 euros for 3 people per night is way above what it is worth. I would be much better off living in a professional hotel (e.g. Marriott which charges around the same price for 2 double bed per night!)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Fita? Share your experiences!