“I wanted to like this place more than I did” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fita

Save Saved
You added Hotel Fita to your Saves list
Hotel Fita
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Luykenstraat 37, Amsterdam 1071 CL, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #7 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
phoenix
“I wanted to like this place more than I did”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Maybe I expected too much. It is, after all, a TripAdvisor and Rick Steves' recommended hotel. Unfortunately, there were just too many things that went arwy.
Let's start with the good things about the Hotel Fita.
Location, location, location. The hotel is on a quiet street one short block from the Van Gogh and Stedelijk Museums. The tram line that takes you to the historic center and the Centraal train station runs along the street where those museums are, so traveling to and from the hotel is very easy. One block in the opposite direction is the Rodeo Drive of Amsterdam, so if you have a lot of money to spend on high end fashion, you're in the right place.
Friendly staff. Really friendly and helpful with directions and pancakes.
Sleep. The bed in my room was really comfortable and the room temperature was perfect from beginning to end.

Okay. Let's get to the not-so-good about the Hotel Fita.
Cleanliness. My room seemed pretty clean at first. But then I noticed that the tea kettle in the closet, helpfully pointed out to me by the proprietor when I checked in, was dirty. So much for making tea in my room. I guess they expect guests to only use the Nespresso machine. But then why keep the assortment of instant coffee and tea under the night stand? Next, the bathroom seemed pretty clean, except for the shower. It looks like it was forgotten during a recent renovation. There's a lot of hard water spots and build-up and the floor mat was dirty. On my second day at the hotel, I returned from a day of sightseeing to find a pink kitchen towel on my suitcase. Apparently, it was left over from the cleaning service, which the proprietor said was new. Hmm. OK. I had three nights there so I figured that it would get better. It didn't. The next day, I noticed that the cleaning crew didn't clean the water glass or tea cup. So, needless to say, I didn't use the Nespresso machine or drink the water in the room again.
Hot water. I didn't have it my first morning at the hotel. As soon as I got up, I tried to take a shower but couldn't get any hot water, only a lot of noisy pipes and freezing H2O. I gave up and went down to breakfast where the proprietor informed me that he heard the noise the pipes made when I tried taking a shower and so he went and repaired the boiler. Thankfully, by the time I finished breakfast, the hot water had returned and I didn't have this problem the remaining two nights of my stay.

Finally, the hit and miss of the Hotel Fita.
Breakfast. The hotel has a large and varied breakfast buffet. There are freshly made scrambled eggs and bacon, an assortment of breads and danishes, cereals, cheeses, fruit, juices, and coffees. The bread is fresh. I know this because I awoke to the smell of baking bread every morning, three floors up from where the kitchen is. Dutch pancakes are available upon request and the staff is happy to make them for guests. Unfortunately, however, I noticed that there were some gnats flying around the cheese. They were there all three mornings I was at the Hotel Fita. Needless to say, I didn't eat the cheese.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

1,168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel and it was perfect. We selected the Hotel Fita based on Tripadvisor reviews- thanks to our fellow reviewers. The location was great right near major museums and the Concertgebow. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious-good coffee, wonderful eggs and very yummy Dutch pancakes. It was easy to take the tram to other parts of town.

Lafayette, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel is very well run, in a great and quiet location only one block from the museumplein and the van gogh, riiksmuseum, and stedelik museums. I strongly recommend it as well as the young man who owns and runs the hotel. He is hardworking, very helpful and a good guy. No complaints here....

Room Tip: I was in the back, and it was very quiet. The hotel is on a quiet residential street so i dont think...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Fita for three nights in the beginning of November. The hotel could not be better located near the Van Gough museum and Rijksmuseum. Walking distance to a ton of great restaurants and public transportation. Bus 197 to and from the Schiphol Airport is super convenient and only two blocks away from the hotel.

The staff at the hotel could not have been nicer and more helpful with advice on anything from what time is best to see certain sites to advice on restaurants. Our room was very large and clean and the beds were comfortable. Free wifi was awesome, worked reliably and was nice and fast, which can be a problem with hotel wifi sometimes.

To us, the breakfast was one of the major standouts of the hotel. The Dutch pancakes, scrambled eggs, coffee were my favorites, but everything was excellent every single day.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Fita this past weekend and couldn't be happier. Only 25 rooms but full of charm and quality service. The young staff, led by Roel, could not have been more friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were great especially the "Dutch Pancakes" and they all went out of their way to make sure we knew where to go and how to get there. I'd go back to Amsterdam just to stay here again!

Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Hotel Fita is excellently placed for Amsterdam's art galleries & concert hall & yet a relatively short walk into the centre. It is a friendly, comfortable hotel, whose staff are helpful and enthusiastic. On arrival we were greeted with a helpful introduction of the city by the receptionist, shown individually to our rooms and then provided with a glass of bubbly. The rooms were comfortable and the breakfast excellent. We would recommend Hotel Fita to anyone, especially those who wish to be close to the city's cultural centre.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a small bed and breakfast hotel just a few minutes walk from the Vincent van Gogh museum and the recently re-opened (after 10 years of renovation) Rijksmuseum. I had room 10 which is a lovely large light and airy room at the front corner of the first floor. The only drawback with this room is that it is next to reception and the front door so there is a bit of noise from people coming and going, ringing the front door bell etc. I arrived at 7:30 am after a 30 hour journey from New Zealand to find Amsterdam 2 degrees and foggy. The hotel was all shut up and there was no answer when I rang the bell but someone came after 10 minutes. Ok, check in is not officially till 1pm but I thought the welcome could have been a bit warmer. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would come back again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Fita? Share your experiences!