“Best stay of our entire Holland-Belgium trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fita

You added Hotel Fita to your Saves list
Hotel Fita
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Luykenstraat 37, 1071 CL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #12 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
California
“Best stay of our entire Holland-Belgium trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Hotel Fita was the best stay of our trip to The Netherlands and Belgium - 3 hotels, 2 B&Bs and a river cruise. It topped them all. Martjin and Roel (and family) were the #1 reason -- so personable and helpful and welcoming that we felt at home from the moment we arrived. The room was great with a fine bed. We chose Fita because of the TripAdvisor comments and the fact that they have an elevator (a life saver at the end of a 20 hour trip when we were exhausted). Note that there are steps from the sidewalk to the lobby as was usual wherever we went on the trip. Their newly redone dining room was beautiful (mom did the Easter decorations) and the food was terrific. Don't miss the famous homemade pancakes (yes, they are as good as the reviews say) and lots of other goodies. We had a front room (22) with the little balcony. We enjoyed seeing the school children (you can hear them but remember that they do go home) and the neighborhood was so convenient and felt very safe. We walked easily to the museums and canals and shops and restaurants and we aren't walkers. Roel recommended a nearby deli for a quick lunch (Renzo's Deli-great selections) and a nearby restaurant for dinner (Boef - loved it). We really enjoyed both so we returned to them for second meals as well as trying out others on our wanderings. Martjin (see him in the dining room photo) and Roel are very professional and helpful and friendly and the hotel is kept to high standards. They were very responsive to our inquiry and questions when booking. They were even able to accommodate us shortly after our morning arrival. They will be the ONLY place we stay when we return to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Let them know when you book what is important to you - room size, balcony & windows, quiet, etc...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Haifa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a 4-night stay at Hotel Fita, and we highly recommend it! I chose this hotel after looking at the reviews on Tripadvisor, and all the superlatives were correct. First of all when making the reservations by e-mail I received answers to all my questions very swiftly and with great detail, so that I knew what to expect ahead of time, as far as being able to come early and leave our luggage before the room would be ready (our flight landed very early in the morning), and also being able to leave the luggage there after we checked out on the last day, since we had an evening flight. The recommendation to take the airport bus, No. 197 to the hotel was also very helpful, and when leaving we asked to reserve a place on the airport shuttle bus, more expensive but also very convenient.
As for the stay in the hotel itself, I can't praise it enough. The family who runs this hotel (Ria and her two sons, Roel and Martijn) were always cheerful and helpful, and made us feel welcome and important from the very first moment. The room was fantastic: our room was on the top floor and it was very large, clean and sunny, with all the perks one could want: a kettle and coffee/tea-making supplies, a Nespresso machine, an iron and ironing board, TV, etc. The bathroom was enormous compared to others we've been in in European hotels, and everything was spotless. Another plus about this hotel is that is has an elevator (lift), which is quite rare in Amsterdam and very good to have after coming back from a long day of walking around the city. Breakfasts were delicious, especially the pancakes made on the spot!
A slight drawback for some might be the childrens' playground right outside, which tends to get noisy during the day, but if you're out all day it doesn't matter, and on the weekend it's quiet.
The hotel is within walking distance of the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum, and we bought our tickets for these 2 museums at the hotel, to avoid having to stand on line to buy tickets: a great advantage! It's also walking distance to the Concertgebouw concert hall and some good restaurants, and very convenient to use the trams to the city center, right around the corner.
All in all, we highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the front of the hotel to avoid the noise from the hostel in the back. If no r...
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Stayed here from April 26 with my daughter. I chose the hotel based on its proximity to museums we wanted to see. An inquiry led to a series of friendly and helpful emails between me and Martijn and he was most helpful on best way to reach the hotel by airport bus (#197) and other details. Since it was evening when we arrived at Schipol,we had a bit of difficulty upon getting down from the bus: is it left or right of the street, but managed to find the hotel eventually. Check-in was a breeze and Martijn gave us a good recommendation to a restaurant , and upon request was able to supply us with 2 tickets to Rijksmuseum immediately. (Tip: best get advance tickets to skip the long lines, specially buy online tickets for Anne Frank's Haus)! We had a small room but it was very clean, comforting and right on the restaurant's floor. Breakfast was a delight and we had the famous pancake and it was yummy!! Overall, I would highly recommend Hotel Fita to visitors wishing a quiet, upscale stay in Amsterdam in the Museum area. My daughter and I would be walking till midnight and somehow, we weren't afraid. The area felt so safe and just asked the locals if we were on the right direction and since the Dutch speak perfect English that was no problem, Hotel Fita is run by family members who are very friendly, accommodating and professional in their approach. I would definitely stay here again! Thank you to the family specially to Martijin!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This place exceeded my expectations. Before I go on, this hotel is not for people who want to be in the party area or who want to be by the red light district or come home at 2 am or later. What Hotel Fita is - a charming, family run hotel, on a quite and beautiful street in one of the best neighborhoods in Amsterdam. The area where this hotel is located is very upscale. You feel like you are living in Amsterdam at this hotel. The neighborhood is a cross between San Francisco (without hills), Back Bay in Boston and The Old Town area of Chicago.

I am a single traveler, female,who felt more than safe in this location. Other great things about this location, has a great big park (like Central Park in NYC) where you can run, has a grocery store around the corner for snacks, blocks from all the museums and the US Embassy (in case you need to go there), and right by all the public transport. Although it is by the transportation, I easily walked everywhere in the city. My feet were tired but it is the best way to experience its beauty. My favorite canal walk was from the hotel to the Anne Frank House. It is so beautiful and there are all kinds of little art, craft and clothing stores locally owned. I also took the Blue boat canal tour which is right by the hotel. I took the outdoor boat which I recommend since you can get better pictures and it can fit into the small canals. For 15 Euro, it was well worth it! Another tip is to walk south along the right side of the park, there a big mansions there!

My tip for Amsterdam, is to get all your tickets for the museums in advance via the internet, especially the Anne Frank House. There is also a 30 minute explanation in English you can reserve on line. The Fita sells tickets to the Van Gough museum. This museum is amazing and has many other artist on display including Monet. I suggest going later in the day to miss the crowds. I read alot about the Holand Pass and the Amsterdam pass. I would skip these and buy the tickets for the places you want to go.

I went to Keukenhof. I suggest if you are under 60, save your money. This is a tourist trap.

Finally, I stayed in a single. The room was very small but does have a tv, espesso machine and a good shower. I saw the larger rooms and they are much larger but they do have two single beds pushed together as may people have commented.

Best way to get to hotel from the airport is bus 197. Exit the airport and stand on the side closest to the terminal. The stop is one of the beginning ones, B3 or so. Look at the monitor and if it says 197 you are in the right place. It costs 4 euro and way faster than the train. Email hotel for the name of the stop.

All and all Amsterdam was amazing and Hotel Fita too!

Room Tip: if possible a room not facing the school. The kids dont start til 9 am so it really doesnt matter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Roel, Martjin and Ria were very welcoming and so accomodating that they did not require any collateral for the room. They were extremely attentive and cheerful when serving breakfast, and the pancakes were as good as reviews had led us to expect. The hotel was meticulously well maintained, and very quiet, unlike the hotel across the street, which looked like a zoo. Our room was huge and bright, but one related quibble: the TV was too small for the size of the room.

Padua, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I stay at Fita Hotel once every two year for business purposes. So I am quite regular. This year we were welcomed by the new owners of the hotel. Excellent family, very friendly and helpful. They managed to exceed my expections. The hotel is in excellent position in the museum area, close also to Leidse Plein (restaurant area) and shops everywhere around. Plus there are plenty of chances to travekl around Amsterdam thanks to two tram stops just round the corner. Very quite at night, it allows me to relax after a tough business day. The breakfast is outstanding in quality (pancakes made right on the spot, crispy bacon, delicious scrambled eggs, warm croissants and pastries, home-made jam.... just wow!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I just stayed for 4 nights at the Hotel Fita--what a wonderful experience! Roel, Martijn and Ria were a top notch team who seemed to have every detail covered. They have anticipated any guests needs and provided it in a very professional, yet friendly, way. Our room, #14, was large and spotlessly clean. Windows on 2 sides of the room made it bright and cheerful. The furnishings and decorating seemed very new. The bathroom was large with a great tub/shower. Breakfast, as everyone has said, was fabulous. Hard working Roel stopped and spent as much time as we wanted answering our questions and telling us about the hotel. Although what we saw of the hotel is lovely and looks very new, he told us of his plans to improve it even more (is this possible?) I would highly recommend Hotel Fita to anyone--I can't imagine a nicer place!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Fita? Share your experiences!