“Great location. Hotel was not so great.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht

You added Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 1015, 1017 KN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #162 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Great location. Hotel was not so great.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had opted for this hotel based on some positive reviews I had read on trip advisor but was completely underwhelmed by my stay. The room was adeqate but I was surprised to find the two small pillows on the bed were stained, the large pillow was dusty as were the light fittings (they were thick with dust). There was the odd small brown stain on the walls and in the bath room a hole under the sink filled in with what looked like plastic bags. There was a menu advertised but on the first day when I enquired they said they didn't have any food and on the second, they said the sandwhich toaster wasn't working. I've actually had that before in hotels and it's a bit insulting. How isn't the sandwich toaster working? Blown fuse? The location is very handy but a canal side hotel in central Amsterdam could and should try a lot harder. Fairly disappointing. Aside from the great location, I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
e s, Eigenaar at Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear guest,

we are sorry to hear that your stay was not to your expectations. We have spoken to our cleaning staff and we will look after this. This is also not our standard. For the meals, indeed when you were in our hotel the toast machine was not working but we have bought a new one also we have changed our small dinner meals.
Next time when you visist us we would like you to offer you a free dinner in our restaurant and a complimentary upgrade for your room.
Thank you very much for this review which we used to improve our service level.

With kindest regards
Ed Schreurs
manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Langenthal, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Booked this hotel because it looked like a nice little boutique hotel on the internet. What a mistake that was! But first something positive - the reason this gets two stars is the location, which is absolutely excellent. Now the ugly part - we got a small out of date room with a bathroom so old and dirty (mold, rust) that I wouldn't offer it to guests at my home; I would be too embarassed. If you are looking for a cheap hotel in a good location and don't care how it looks, or smells, go ahead. Everyone else: Avoid this.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

No frills, just a room with a bed in a good location.

Stayed in a wing room. The way these are situated are, two single rooms (think university dorm size), a shared door between the two and a washroom in one of the rooms, so someone will have to be open with sharing their space for the other to go to the washroom.

Common practice, they give you a physical key and you give it to them when you return.
There's a common room safe shared between the two rooms.

No fridge or dresser, there is a tall clothes hanger, table with monitor and a couple power outlets. That's about it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
e s, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear David,

Thank you for your review. We hope to see you again as our guest in The Hampshire Prinsengracht Hotel.

We hope the Twin room was what you had expected.

Best regards
E. Schreurs
Johannesburg, SA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I spent 3 nights at this hotel at the end of October. While my room was small (I was travelling alone on a budget), it was exactly what I had expected based on the information on the website. Given the high cost of hotels in Amsterdam, I feel I got value for money. The hotel is clean and staff are friendly. It may be looking a bit tired, but certainly did not impact how I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We (2 adults and 2 kids of 10 and 7) spent 2 nights at the Hampshire Hotel. We had rented the garden house, which comprises 2 bedrooms (one with double bed, one with 2 singles) and a bathroom. The rooms were spacious and well-equiped, but had a damp atmosphere, and some of the floor boards gave way under weight, suggesting water damage to the underlying construction. Heating worked well though, but the towel dryer in the bathroom could not be turned off, turning the bathroom into a sauna. Otherwise very quiet, and reasonably clean with OK matrasses and pillows. Friendly personnel, but expensive breakfast (12,50 EU pp, kids half price). Location is unbeatable though, with Leidscheplein, Rembrandtplein, Rijksmuseum, van Gogh museum etc. within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ok, you cant judge a place at first glance, the lobby was pretty good looking for the age of the place, the staff was great, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay a good one . now getting to the room when we walked in the room I stopped and no way! since on our trip through Germany and staying at 4 star hotels this place was hmmm lets see very basic the carpet was not as clean as it should be but I must say after being out all night and coming back to sleep I had the best nights sleep there and the view from the room was beautiful. the location is good for walking to most main attraction's just watch out for the bicycles.

Room Tip: the room on the top floor facing west was the best view for sunsets an the street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 5 nights at the Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht at the beginning of this month and I couldn't be happier with my stay.

The room we were initially given (208) was directly next to the lift (which is surprisingly quiet and smooth and DOES have an inner closing door despite what the sign says. Also, the stairs aren't anywhere near as bad as most other places in Amsterdam) and a bit underwhelming compared to the pictures. I politely asked to be moved and straight away we were transferred to room 204 which is gorgeous, massive and overlooking the courtyard.

The staff are incredibly friendly and so so helpful. On one of the days I asked the lady at reception about free things to do in Amsterdam and she gave me 2 maps, told me pretty much everything she could think of and then spent 5 minutes looking things up on the internet for me!
This is above and beyond what I expect from hotel staff.

The bed was delightful. Very soft and comfortable. We both slept very well for the entire trip.

My only issues would be my partner getting what appear to be a lot of bed bug bites, however I am completely bite free. If they are bed bug bites, I would say they came from a pillow he took down from a cupboard rather than the mattress, or the sheets and pillows on the bed which were changed daily.

I recommend this hotel if you can find a reasonable room rate. If we'd had to pay full price, I wouldn't be as impressed as I am. We got a good deal through Booking.com.

Room Tip: The lift isn't actually that loud but room 204 is massive and absolutely gorgeous with views ove...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht? Share your experiences!