“you have give it a chance!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht

Save Saved
You added Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 1015, 1017 KN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #178 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
california
“you have give it a chance!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ok, you cant judge a place at first glance, the lobby was pretty good looking for the age of the place, the staff was great, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay a good one . now getting to the room when we walked in the room I stopped and no way! since on our trip through Germany and staying at 4 star hotels this place was hmmm lets see very basic the carpet was not as clean as it should be but I must say after being out all night and coming back to sleep I had the best nights sleep there and the view from the room was beautiful. the location is good for walking to most main attraction's just watch out for the bicycles.

Room Tip: the room on the top floor facing west was the best view for sunsets an the street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 5 nights at the Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht at the beginning of this month and I couldn't be happier with my stay.

The room we were initially given (208) was directly next to the lift (which is surprisingly quiet and smooth and DOES have an inner closing door despite what the sign says. Also, the stairs aren't anywhere near as bad as most other places in Amsterdam) and a bit underwhelming compared to the pictures. I politely asked to be moved and straight away we were transferred to room 204 which is gorgeous, massive and overlooking the courtyard.

The staff are incredibly friendly and so so helpful. On one of the days I asked the lady at reception about free things to do in Amsterdam and she gave me 2 maps, told me pretty much everything she could think of and then spent 5 minutes looking things up on the internet for me!
This is above and beyond what I expect from hotel staff.

The bed was delightful. Very soft and comfortable. We both slept very well for the entire trip.

My only issues would be my partner getting what appear to be a lot of bed bug bites, however I am completely bite free. If they are bed bug bites, I would say they came from a pillow he took down from a cupboard rather than the mattress, or the sheets and pillows on the bed which were changed daily.

I recommend this hotel if you can find a reasonable room rate. If we'd had to pay full price, I wouldn't be as impressed as I am. We got a good deal through Booking.com.

Room Tip: The lift isn't actually that loud but room 204 is massive and absolutely gorgeous with views ove...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a small cosy hotel in a great location. It was walking distance to most of the places we wanted to visit - Ann Frank Museum etc. It is right on the Prinsengracht Canal and it was nice leaving the hotel every morning and stepping out next to the canal.

When you enter the hotel, you first have to go down a small flight of stairs (a hassle if you have a number of large bags!) then push a door open into a small reception area. The reception area leads into a small dining area where buffet breakfast is served every morning. The dining room is well presented; the breakfast was simple but good - bacon and eggs, toast, cereal etc.

I think we were fortunate with our room allocation - rather than staying in the main building, we were roomed in a small flat ("granny flat") in the back garden. It consisted of 2 rooms (one QB, 2 singles) sharing a bathroom. It suited our family - couple with 2 young kids - perfectly! The rooms were simply furnished and warm (a blessing on those cold winter nights!) but not very well lit and rather dirty. There was dust swirling in the corners of the rooms and under the tables but if you shut your eyes to them, the accommodation was fine!

Service was good; staff behind the counter were generally helpful with directions etc.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay. For the price we paid, I think we got a fair deal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Prinsengracht hotel website promises much more than they give for real. The hotel is outdated, small room, electricity is dangerous, shower and toilet must be replaced and a bad bed. It looks very cheap. No 3-stars value for your money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We've booked this hotel as they were offering rooms canal view and apparently nice and for 310 euro a night we got a room in the basement , under the stair closed to the toilets and the elevator ... the room was 6 square meters ( my husband has measured it) . The bathroom was horrible and without window or air system and the humidity was so hight the all the room stinked.

When we've asked to change room the person at the reception said that ours was a "standard" room..

I highy suggest to avoid this hotel or to accept it only in case of emergency making sure that the rate they ask you is not more than 90 euro at night.. which is the maximum value for what you get...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The rooms are small and I did experience the bathroom as inadequately small.
The bed mattress is made from plane material and does not offer the support I need.
The great thing about this hotel is its location; its not in the noisy part of Amsterdam. That's just around the corners in almost almost any direction.
Last but not least; the staff is just very nice and that makes it just a little more personal.
When you're on a budget and not too demanding with respect to hotel facilities this hotel can be an excellent choice for you.
I had to pay a lot during a busy period in Amsterdam and then it is just not making the rating this hotel probably deserves.

Room Tip: Get a garden room, quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The staff is very kind and helpful,the rooms are quiet and clean,the location(Prinsengracht,hello!) is beautiful and you can reach all the "hot spots" simply by walking!
I will surely come back next time I'm in the city!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Prinsengracht? Share your experiences!