“it is what it says” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vijaya

You added Hotel Vijaya to your Saves list
Hotel Vijaya
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 44, 1012 GE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #257 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“it is what it says”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was a basic hotel but comfortable and clean it is right in the middle of the red light district which is just what we wanted the breakfast was fine and we had a very good trip - i would return to the hotel

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is not a hotel to stay... definitely not with family. Having read the reviews, I was prepared for the worst and the worst happened. I was given a 'double' room with two separate bed (cots!) arranged in a 6 feet by 20 feet room. Can you imagine this? Two small beds placed length-wise touching the wall of the room (corridor!)... so you have two beds touching not by the side but from the head!!! Dirty linen and bathroom. On making repeated requests, the dead-face guy sitting in the reception moved me to another room for that night... here at least we had one double bed. Room was small, no towel given, bathroom was awful. The second day we were asked to go back to the original room. We protested. Didn't help. We had made up our mind to leave the hotel and get another one and forget about the money paid. Then the owners came. From their language I realized they were Indians. I am also from India. Now I requested. After a lot of back and forth, they gave me a room in the basement. The room was suffocating, humid and smelly. We somehow managed to sleep the night and ran the hell out of there the next morning.
I warn you all NOT to stay at this hotel. There are many options in the Red Light District. Choose any other, but not this. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in room one. Window in room was smashed and was fixed with selo tape! Viwe of smoking area in court yard out of our window. 2sets of very steep steps to get to room. Room smelt of damp. Room freezing cold and very noisy due to smashed window and also there is a church at the back that rings its bells 4 times an hour. Hardly slept and could not wait to leave this hotel. Only positive was a good central location.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Beirut, Lebanon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Dirty,smelly(very very smelly),rude personel,very very steep escalators and if you ask for a ground room it is full of smell and humidity!i would not recommend anybody to stay in this hotel unless for a one night stand!

• Stayed October 2013
Groningen, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I spent one HELL of a night here with American friends who had booked it, because it was relatively close to the train station and they had to leave early the next morning. Little did we know what to expect. It was a nightmare in every sense of the word.
Let met tell you this first, anyone who gives this more than 1 o (1 star rating) must either have been hired by this hotel to write that or must have been completely drunk or stoned.
I can find absolutely nothing positive to say about this "hotel" . After having stayed there I even contacted the municipality of Amsterdam and i wanted to file a complaint and wanted them to investigate "hotels" like this. They answered me they knew places like this exist and felt sorry people had to endure this, but that their priority was on closing down illegal bed & breakfast places, which has been the case, they closed dozens and dozens of those since last Summer.
OK, the reception. The anti-social guy behind the reception desk was not interested in new guest and guests wanting to leave. he kept on caling his girlfriend and other people he knew. After about 20 minutes he finally gave in to complaints from both us and the guests wanting to leave and spared a few seconds to either give us a piece of paper to sign and swiftly gave us our key. It is the most rude behaviour I have ever had from someone working at a "hotel". I really think you can not mention this dump a hotel.
The "room". We had booked a double room with 4 beds. As I and my partner arrived first we could check it. It was so unbelievably small, that for 2 people it would be too small already. You had to move one thing to get to another, there was1 bunk bed and 2 small beds, absolutely no room to move around, so you entered the bathroom/toilet cell getting out of your bed. Everything was damp, dirty, it smelled, it looked ugly. There was no fresh air, so it is essential to have the cheap, old & noisy small fan on, put on a chair. It was either that or be completely drained in sweat. Very old and broken windows, if opened you experienced a racket of noise non-stop, especially at night. We went out and returned back shortly before we picked up our American guests, they signed in, left their luggage and were as shocked as we were about the appalling quality of this dump. And they travel all over the world. So we went out for dinner and drinks and arrived back after midnight.
Sleeping. Not possible, it was like a sauna, the small fan did not help, it was noisy, the beds could not be called beds, your backs will hurt tremendously. None of the 4 us slept even 1 minute. It was like hell, torture. Best thing was to lie still and wait for the alarm clock to go off. Glad we did. then showering caused a problem, or even using the bathroom cell for a pee or poo. No airco whatsoever. When we left we opened the window facing the canal and bridge just to give the next customer a bit of fresh air when entering the "room".
Checking out, this time the anti-social guy of the day before was assisted by the Asian hotel-owner who was as rude as his employee. We asked where we could have breakfast, but he like his employee was only busy making phone calls to his relatives and friends. He saw that guests either wanted to leave, hand in their keys etc. After some time convincing we wanted breakfast he just pointed his finger to a part of the reception room, stuffed with dozens of bags and some tables and chairs. We managed to get something. after a lot of difficulty even managed to squeeze an answer out of him to let him tell where we coukd use the downstairs lavatory. Checked out. Free at last.
This site has a rating system of 1 to 5 stars, it should have a negavive rating as well, a minus one. Then this one would get -5, minus 5.
I am a very friendly person. I just want to warn anyone, PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE. It is a disgrace. You will be a wreck the next day. People at this hotel are the most unfriendly and anti-social. Oh yes, another funny thing, they also have an adjacent restaurant, haha. I wonder if they serve fresh or canned cockroaches there.

Room Tip: I doubt whether this hotel has a single good room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Do not go here! This hotel claim to be a 2 star but they should be shut down. Me and my boyfriend are a young couple, were not expecting luxury but this hotel is disgusting. Initially were given room 23 to stay 2 nights. The shower and toilet weren't even attached to our rooms. We had to walk across the corridor and opposite another room where we had our "private" wet room. Our tv did not work, nor did our radiator or our wifi as the signal was not strong enough. There were stains up our walls and on the bed sheets and the shower steam from our wet room was constantly setting off the smoke alarm. After our 1st night we complained first thing and was allocated room 3. Was told to pack up immediately because there were guests on their way for this room however they said they would just give them our old room which would be fine so I'm assuming they would've of cleaned our room 23 for the arrival of the new quests. Room 3 even worse. Bigger but still very unclean. Bed sheets dirty as if somebody had already slept in them. We stripped the sheets to inspect the mattresses and there were hairs all over them. Again, tv not working. This room was classed as a double but had 2 twin beds pushed together. My boyfriend at this point complained and tried to get some money back however they refused and just simply got somebody to come in and change the beds and clean our room while we stood and watched. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I've seen a few comments about bed bugs too!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Vijaya? Share your experiences!