This was my first hostel stay but it was nothing out of the ordinary because I've spent lots of time in dorms. There's a lot to like about Stayokay Stadsdoelen, particularly:
1) The location. When all the hotels around you are charging upwards of 200 euros a night, you know you've found a good place. In fact, the hotel is somewhere between all the districts and just far enough from the Red Light district that you don't have to pass through it if you don't want to. It's very close to the train station (15 minute walk), the Museumsplein (20 minute walk), Rembrandplein (5 minute walk), the Dam (10 minute walk), etc. Some rooms have great views over the canal also.
2) The staff were always friendly and dealt with the most mind-numbing questions from guests. Their patience cannot be overestimated.
3) Security/safety are very good. There are lockers next to the rooms and also lockers downstairs that are paid. You don't have to bring your own lock (I didn't), in which case you can use the upstairs lockers. But in general, I didn't get the feeling that things would get stolen here.
4) It was mostly clean, though I imagine that if the hostel was completely full, the bathrooms would need a lot more frequent cleaning than they get (only once per day.)
And the lows,
1) What you book isn't what you get. A 10+ person dorm room is really a 20+ person dorm room, and if you request mixed, you might get it or you might not. The hotel doesn't care. It finds you a bed and that's where you're going to go. In that case, the website is definitely misleading.
2) No power outlets, almost anywhere. No personal lamps by the beds. If you want to charge something, either wait to do it in the lobby or find another place. I found this extremely frustrating and silly when there's free wifi.
3) The breakfast is terrible. I would rather they supplied a decent coffee machine and some juice, instead of the disgusting pieces of meat and old, decaying fruit. I know, free breakfast is great value in a hostel, but it's worth spending a few euros to eat a balanced, decent meal.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for your response!
Report response as inappropriate
Good to know that you enjoyed our wonderful location, the friendly staff and security.
Stayokay Stadsdoelen has large rooms to share or private rooms. On our websites it says 10+ rooms, some are 8 bedded, 12 bedded, 16 bedded or 20 bedded. We try to separate the couples and mixed groups from the only girls or only male travelers. For there own comfort and for the location of our bathrooms. The only male dormitory is next to the only male bathrooms. Did you ask the reception for a smaller rooms, in case of availability we could have moved you to a different room.
We appologize about the sockets, we are aware that people bring in many electronics these days. It is impossible to have more in the room, since it is a monumental building. To compensate we offer the free service to leave the electronics at the reception. We will charge them for you and you can pick them up 24/7.
Sorry to hear the breakfast was not to your liking. It is a typical Dutch breakfast with different kind of bread that you can toast. cereal, fruits, cheese, ham, coffee, thea, orange or applejuice.
We hope you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam!
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.