“It was alright” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Munich, Germany
“It was alright”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

I stayed there in late March for three nights with a friend. The hostel offers complimentary breakfast and the bedding is also free-of-charge. The breakfast was simple, but completely acceptable for the price- toast, jam and also hot drinks (coffee or tea). The hostel was also quite clean and the washrooms were being cleaned regularly. There are lockers available and I think there was the option to buy a padlock at the reception, but it's probably better to take one with you. The location is excellent and the closest streetcar station/ bus station is a five minute walk away. There are free city maps available and you can also get a discount on a boat trip through Amsterdam's canals at the reception. The only thing to criticise are the prices for internet access- 1,50 Euros for a quarter of an hour's access and three euros for one hour. But there's always internet cafés, too.
Oh, and another thing- you are not allowed to cook your own meals in this hostel.
All in all, it's a good, low-budget hostel that I would recommend to anyone travelling to Amsterdam, who is not too keen on comfort, needs a clean place to sleep and would like to stay in the city center.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I got really disoriented when I landed in Amsterdam, to say the least. After spending 3 nights in this Red Light Hotel where I woke up to a rat dancing on my pizza box, decided no more 60E a night. Found this place.

It was cheap on weekends for 4 or 6 person dorm and way higher on weekends. If you were smart, you'd stay during the week and go elsewhere on weekends.

Rooms were basic but clean and you got your own large bin that you could lock which was key. Some had bathrooms some had shared bathrooms, I moved to a few rooms during my 2 week stay which felt like a day.

What is lame is that the internet isn't free and it's expensive for wireless, rip off expensive. Best bet is to just hang in a coffee shop that has free wifi.

if I went back, I'd stay there during the week.

- Rob aka

Room Tip: Ask for a 4 person with ensuite bathroom
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Nice Place (As a Hostel), Close to the central station around 5 mins walk close to the city center 10 mins (Dam Square), Nice accommodation although been in 20 beds dorm. great breakfast and very helpful receptionists.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bedfordshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

A group of 6 of us travelled over to Amsterdam (from UK) for a weekend. We left the accommodation to one of our freinds to sort out. We ended up in this place, and were dissapointed to find we were in a room/dorm of 16 beds.

After getting over the initial shock, we looked around and to be fair the place wasn't bad. It was clean, the bedding we were given was fresh and the bathroom area was also clean. Breakfast was suprisingly good as well.

As I say in the title of this, I wouldn't normally choose to stay in a hostel, but we stayed for 2 nights and there was no trouble at all.

I would recommend it as far as a hostel, but my personal preference would be to pay more money and have a room/bathroom to myself.

I won't stay here again, but I wouldn't put off those folk who are used to Hostels

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Darmstadt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

It´s in a very good location. I booked a room shared with 16 people and no problem at all. The room was huge and I had some privacy. There were also a lot of showers, toilets so you didn´t have to wait for anything.
The breakfast was really really good for a Hostel, even much better than the breakfast in a good hotel. It had fresh juice, toasts, cerals, jam, ham, yogurt, coffee machine with a wide variety of coffees.
The bed was really comfortable and the sheets were clean. As a bad point: there was not internet for free and the prices of 15 min was 1,50.

• Stayed September 2010
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I am surprised this place has such low reviews! I loved my stay here. It was very safe, clean, and comfortable, and I loved the location! There was an amazing eetcafe very nearby which has a stunning patio right on the canal (no barriers, it's like eating on a dock!) and they have wonderful cappucinos! The canal is literally right outside the door and there is a great restaurant called In De Waag nearby which was a weigh house in the medieval era. Really cool. Very nice area, lots of trams nearby. The bed was so comfy that on certain days I didn't even want to get up! Met a fellow Canadian traveller who we hung out with. The desk staff were really helpful. I was giving a paper at an academic conference and I needed my paper printed so I asked them for the nearest internet cafe that had printing as an option. Instead of sending me across town looking for one, the lady printed my paper there for me! They were also great about giving directions, phoning taxis, and making suggestions about restaurants and things to do. Fabulous hostel!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Yes its true you can't blame the mood of guests on the hostel themselves, but I have to say I had the most rudest dorm mates around! I would say hello and not get anything back and everyone was just hardcore not going to say hello or good morning...Hopefully there was a shy convention in town.

Getting to the hostel itself was easy, I loved the walk. Also one of the staff at the front desk was cute and helped me out heaps when I was sleep deprived and in need of wanting to wash my clothes (AHHHHH...now I know why no one wanted to talk to me!). I even washed my clothes without detergent, so she happily gave me more tokens to do another cycle and I could add detergent to the machine.

The breakfast was yes all you can eat, but the funniest thing was right on 9.30am, everything was packed away. 9.30am was when breakfast finished (or whatever time it was, I can't remember)...so too bad if you get there a minute past when breakfast is finished. Also found it a bit weird with the lockers all outside, nonetheless at least things were secure.

Hopefully there's more friendly people if I ever come back and stay in Amsterdam - but I think i found a place that was a lot more closer to the action. It's not a bad place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Been to Stayokay Amsterdam Stadsdoelen? Share your experiences!