“Excelente Hostel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St Christopher's at Winston Hotel

Save Saved
You added St Christopher's at Winston Hotel to your Saves list
St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Warmoesstraat 129, Amsterdam 1012 JA, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #24 of 171 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Ámsterdam, Países Bajos
“Excelente Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had a great time in St Christopher. Great breakfast. Pretty clean and confortable. Also we had a locker so safety is ok and they ask for your entrance key any time you want to go in. From my experiency I deeply recomend this place. Includes towels that they change it every day, confortables beds... Also we meet many other travellers. Best suggestion

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

In general a good place to stay however our 2nd night when at the hotel bar the bar staff were extremely rude. When wanting to complain and ask for a manager, as the barman was sneakily trying to serve water when asking for alcoholic beverages, the staff elsewhere were not interested and advised it was nothing to do with them. The barman then proceeded to get security and kick a lot of people out of the bar. We weren't asked to leave however, we felt extremely uncomfortable in our own accommodation and left to go elsewhere. Really disappointing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have just comeback from this hotel and wouldn't put it high on my list of good hotels.

The layout of the hotel is good in the bar/restaurant area with enough tables and chairs to accommodate a large number of people, and the staff are friendly.

It was the rooms I had varied issues with.

The bathroom was as big as a pantry/larder, I quite literally had my knees touching against the shower screen door during defecation!

The shower door leaked to the extent that a minor flood was started every morning, this may be the reason for all the canals in Amsterdam!!

The sink was too small to handle the water pressure coming from the tap, so it looked like I had urinated myself when I brushed my teeth on the first morning.

The towels provided were too small to fit around a child's doll (I'm assuming this, as I didn't take a doll with me)

My bed had two rather distinctive brown stains on it, which was only noticed on the second day!

If you want a hotel purely to dump your bags in, go out and get obliterated and then comeback and pass out - come here. However, if you want any home comforts at all - Don't

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Very centrally located near the shopping area and red light district. Simple breakfast but enough to get you on your way. Fun, knowledgable, multi-national staff. Bed was comfy with a super cozy down comforter (an upgrade to most hostels which offer just a blanket). Belushi's is a great spot to meet people, with deals on food and drinks.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights as part of my 3 month trip and found it a great hostel. Very clean and staff are extremely helpful. The bar downstairs as like all st christophers is an added bonus. I will be reccomending and returning.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have stayed here twice now, and am definitely going to come again in 2014!
bang in the centre of the action, lush staff, everyone who is there is up for a good time
and it's so nice to have security on the door at night time (even if they didnt let us bring water in hahaha)
Last time I came, we stayed in the end double with a balcony which was heaven, very quiet for sleeping which was nice! only disapointment is you think you'll be staying in an amazingly decorated room, both times my room has been boring haha! but clean, with everything you need so I can not complain!
the food is fantastic, the drink deals are great and you're so close to everything you can not get bored.
If you're up for a laugh this is the place for you!

the winston are very helpful but before coming we encountered a problem, allan the manager finally emailed me and said we would get free welcome drinks...well who is allan all i know is no one at the winston knows him hahaha!
Also in november, we won a facebook competition on their page for a free nights stay for two, but try as we may to contact them it seems they do not want us to book it which is a shame because we are dying to book to come back for a few more nights but keep holding out til someone contacts us about a free nights stay!

BRILLIANT PLACE. the bookings team is poop. but the staff there are all fantastic, work hard and make you feel so comfortable!

P.S BREAKFAST IS GOOD AND YOU GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP (ESPECIALY AFTER A DRINK OR TWO) HAHAHA

DEFINITELY STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed here with a group of 8 friends. It's a very good hostel but only if you are after certain things: a lively bar and lively neighbourhood in Amsterdam, late nights and central location. If you go to Amsterdam wanting to stay in a more relaxing hostel or quieter area, this probably isn't the right place for you.

For us though it was great. The bar has good offers on which make it a relatively cheap option for an expensive city - and the food is also decently priced and good fare for big hangovers. The bar area is large, has a smoking room and plays great music. It was so good that on a Saturday night we ended up there until 3am instead of going elsewhere.

The area is the red light district so you get what you expect. Busy, noisy and a bit seedy. There are nicer neighbourhoods in central Amsterdam but this is very close to the action, 5 minutes to the central station and not a far walk to more pleasant bars and restaurants.

We were put in an 8 bed dorm in a next door building which is usually reserved for women. At first we were a bit annoyed as we weren't in the proper hostel but it worked out really well. Was quieter at night and was very private with a balcony and plenty of room. The room was basic but well heated and the showers were fast and hot. The only gripe is that we had a blocked sink which didn't get fixed until our second day.

Breakfast is standard for this kind of hostel and is only served until 10am, which is a bit restrictive. Have stayed in a few places around the Red Light District and this is by far the best so would consider staying again if with a big group.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Richard P, Manager at St Christopher's at Winston Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Hey guys,

Thanks for letting us know about stay! We had a feeling that you and your group would appreciate the free upgrade and we're glad that it all worked out for you ; ) It's very true that the girl's dorms does have some cool extra amenities, as well as that extra bit of privacy!

Great that you guys made the most of our bar as well. We thinks its great when people manage to get the right balance between seeing what the city has to offer and hanging out with us in our Belushi's bar.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays my friend

Been to St Christopher's at Winston Hotel? Share your experiences!