“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St Christopher's at Winston Hotel

You added St Christopher's at Winston Hotel to your Saves list
St Christopher's at Winston Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Warmoesstraat 129, 1012 JA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #29 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

St Christopher's Inn was our first experience staying in a youth hostel. The stay was perfect and exceeded any expectations, especially for the amazing prices per night! The hostel staff were so friendly and helpful and the hostel itself was modern, clean and perfectly located above a chain of bars called Belushi's! We loved the garden at the back and the balcony that we had outside our room, both locations you were allowed to smoke in. It made our stay in Amsterdam perfect! It was literally 5 minutes from Centraal Station, Dam Square and amazing coffee shops.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Hebrew first
tel aviv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed there with my girlfriend and we wanted to meet people from around the world. We think that the location is excellent, very close to the dam square. The breakfast was very tasty and had alot of Varied food.
The pub is big but we thought that the tables will be big and long so people can sit together and talk with each other, like in other hostels but very good for couples that want to be alone. The pub is often full of people so there isn't a place to sit and smoke for the residents of the hostel.
Room is beautiful and clean. Very good that has a big window in the room but little bit a noise from the street even if you close the window.
If we will come back to Amsterdam and would like to be alone we would stay here again but if we want to meet other people we would search for another place.

Room Tip: If you would like quite ask for a room with no window (don't know if there is any). Wake up earl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had a private room with some interesting art on display. There were a lot of drunken English people on a stag party, but this is Amsterdam so……. Staff are very friendly and helpful and even tried to control the for mentioned drunk Englishmen. The hostel is located in the Red Light District, within easy walking distance of Amsterdam Centraal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had a private single room on the 4th floor with Bob Marley's face taking up one entire wall. It was perfect. So clean, so comfortable, such good value and right where you want to be. I really don't think you will find better. I forgot about breakfast being included so that was an awesome surprise :) The bar and garden area do get really busy and it sounds like they're partying in the hallway outside your door, but staff move everyone inside at 10:30 most nights and then it's super quiet considering you're right in the heart of all the action. I was stoked they had lockers cause they really don't want you checking in until 2pm and I was not about to lug my suitcase around until then. Also the elevator quickly became best friend because of said suitcase. If you want the best you can get in The Dam then stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hostel is in a great location close to all the main sites so that is a massive plus! Our first night was a Saturday and even though we were on the 4th floor it was incredibly loud most of the night. It did quieten down somewhat Sunday and Monday night but was still loud. You can get free ear plugs at reception.

We stayed in a private room with our own bathroom. Some of the rooms are themed and we had the green room- all the walls and ceiling were green- surprised the carpet wasn't green to be honest! The shower was surprisingly decent. The room didn't get much light so there was quite a stale smell all the time so we had to keep the window open as much as possible- the smell was not the smell you would expect from being in Amsterdam!

You get great deals at the bar downstairs and the private room came with towels. There are lockers for your bags if you have a late flight or arrive before check in time but you have to pay. There is nowhere free to leave them.

All in all, great location and once you got used to the noise sleeping is not as much of an issue! Staff were very helpful and the beds were comfortable enough and there was 4 plugs in the room to keep all electronics charged to use the free wi-fi!

Room Tip: Try for a room not on the street side for a chance of a quieter room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a one night layover in August 2013. After reading some of the reviews on here, I was kind of afraid of not being able to get enough sleep due to the noise, as I had a very early flight the next day. However, after booking my reservation, I emailed their staff asking for a room in the back of the hostel where the noise wouldn't be as big of a problem. The manager replied by saying they were unable to reserve specific rooms but left a note for me with the front desk. I got to the hostel a bit early but the staff was really helpful and allowed me to enter my room before the actual check-in time (2PM). I think they took my request into consideration as I barely noticed any noise from the bar or out on the streets but I was also wearing ear plugs. The rooms were very clean by my standards and the washroom was shared amongst ~8 people but we did not have any problems coordinating its usage. The front desk was also very helpful in helping me figure out how to get to the airport early in the morning as well as which sites to visit and what sights to see. Overall, it was worth the buck for such a great location, where you're in the middle of all the action in the craziness that is Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Send an email right after your booking asking for a room in the back of the hostel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Location perfect - central to Red Light District, and beside many coffeeshops.
Very helpful hotel and bar staff.
Great bar and beer garden.
Comfortable rooms. Bathroom wasn't that clean though when we arrived. And rooms aren't that quiet, but we found it ok.
Stayed in a 2-bed private room.
The bar is so good that the best Amsterdam pub crawl comes here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to St Christopher's at Winston Hotel? Share your experiences!