“Simply Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tourist Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Tourist Inn
You added Tourist Inn to your Saves list
Singel 69, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #218 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, California
“Simply Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

When I look into a hostel, I'm looking for different things than I am when looking for a hotel. Chief among them, does this place create an environment to meet other travelers? And secondary but nonetheless important, is there an electrical outlet next to my bed so I can easily charge my phone securely? Finally, is there a place to safely store any valuables?

So what does this place get right?

1. Location. It's on the outskirts of the red light district, part of a secondary district really, but it puts it close to everything. I didn't use public transpo or a taxi once in my travels through the entire city.

2. Breakfast was free. Nothing great, but I'm always grateful to start my day on a free note.

3. The wifi was reliable and the locker was huge and safe. Two things that help any traveler out.

What wasn't so great?

1. There was no atmosphere to meet people. The lobby is weirdly designed and the hostel itself, while having rooms with 6 beds, is doing nothing to try and create an environment for travelers to meet one another.

2. My room had six beds, six outlets. Great! Right? Except four of the outlets were next to one bed. So that left two outlets for everyone else, which meant I had to carry my charger with me throughout Amsterdam and charge my phone at random stops along the way. This seems like a simple fix, but until it's done, be wary.

3. The bathroom situation was no fun. The bathrooms were outside the rooms, and while I rarely ran into problems, it did seem like a small number of bathrooms per floor.

So the price was the best I could find. The red light district didn't phase me (it was weird to wake up, walk outside, and see a 60 year old prostitute smiling back at you). But there are a few areas they could improve upon and make this place better.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Berridale, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Yes it's cheap and yes the location may be amaaazing but really when a hotel in ANY city advertises that it has parking full details should be given. We were lead to believe that the parking was on site and then when on booking-in were advised that the parking was offsite. No big deal BUT we weren't allowed to drive and park ourselves. This is unacceptable in a country where many vehicles look like they have been in a demolition derby. Don't say parking when you don't have it! We could have sourced an offsite carpark ourselves. Then I would have had the satisfaction and security of parking it myself.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start. I stayed in the building's unfinished outhouse. 2 bed room with shared bathroom, which turned out not to be shared, due to no one else given rooms on our floor, this probably was because the decorators where there 8.30 to 5 every painting the doors, which lay in hallway most of the day times.
Our room had 3 main features, a bed which felt like sleeping on rocks, a sink that dripped on the floor and zero security. When we asked where the safe was, we were assured that it was there and if it wasn't they'd sort it out. In the meantime we could leave our valuables in there "safe", which was under the counter and returned to us later that day by asking for it and being unquestioned. The second day a builder appeared and handed us a safe, which obviously wasn't attached to anything. There was also no way of knowing who had been in the room, as one day our stools had gone missing.
I should also add, the prostitutes in the alley to the back building were a nice touch, the knackered ones no one wanted anymore.
Positives, shower was good, although I had to assemble parts of it, twice.

• Stayed March 2014
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Got twin room to share with my Girlfriend, fair enough, thats what we ordered and I guess there were no doublerooms left. This hotel has two buildings, the separate one is in small and during night pretty scary street, but fair enough. Room was tiny, but nothing I could not live with. Worse thing was ongoing construction site in the part of hotel we lived in, which resulted in being awaken very early morning(7 am). The hotel as itself was very loud and I could clearly hear ppl talking in next room during evening. Electricity was off every now and then, probably because of the construction works on the hotel. Only one tiny shower for whole floor(4 rooms) that got stuck and water started leaking everywhere. Two small toilets, one with annoying 'movement' sensor that goes off as soon as you sit down, so you end up waving at the sensor for a little moment of light. Only spot where you could easily reach wifi was toilet. In the room the signal was very weak and you could not access internet

In overall I was not happy because of the workers there and electricity being off every now and then. I believe however, that for the price, if the work is being done, this can be OK place to sleep.

Breakfast was average. Nothing extra, but satisfying.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed two days on this hotel, and if it weren't because I love Amsterdam, this would have been a horrible experience.
We rented the private room with bathroom, The bathroom was really dirty, hairs, dirt, and the mirror dirty, and the walls of the bathroom it was like someone spread butter all over it, it was greasy and yellowish.
The windows were equally greasy and clearly haven't been washed in a long time, if ever.
We talked to the receptionist and manager (as he was the receptionist the next day) and even though the manager seemed to agree with our complaint, nothing got properly clean for the second night.
The WiFi signal was pretty much nonexistent in our room, impossible to check emails even.
Breakfast is not amazing, it's just ok-average.
The location of this hotel is great, but if you are looking for a clean basic room, you can do way better than this for the price. Maybe the shared rooms are worth the price, but don't pay the extra for the private.
If you are looking for a hostel it's probably not bad, if you need a private room stay away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Rabat, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I loved this place. I had a single room with a very comfortable bed and funky city-scape wallpaper. The hotel staff were really kind, and the breakfast was delicious. The morning music in the breakfast nook was, um, thrilling for such an early hour, but the front desk guy had been up most of the night, so it made sense that he wanted some tunes to see him through until sunrise.

There's a laundry place right around the corner that changes almost nothing. This place is close to everything - maybe a five minute walk to dam square, and probably 10-ish to the train station.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

It's a small hotel but it has a lift, which helped with my many bags, and a reasonable breakfast. The receptionist was really helpfull and gave me a lot of information about the region and about the attractions that I wanted to vist. The room is really, really small and the bathroom is out of the room. The hotel is located in the Red Light District which I thought was pretty cool! The only problem is that many young hosted there arrived during all night drunk and doing much noise including of vomiting in their bathrooms. The apartaments are NOT soundproof.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Tourist Inn? Share your experiences!