“steep stairs like a canal house” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Abba

You added Hotel Abba to your Saves list
Hotel Abba
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Overtoom 118-122, 1054 HM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #212 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Drexel Hill, Pa
“steep stairs like a canal house”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This attractively priced Amsterdam hotel has a tram stop located conveniently in front of the hotel. The tram finally stops running at 1AM and so the noise level on the front side of the hotel decreases. We had a room on the 4th floor front side, 4 flights of very steep stairs and the room was rather hot for Amsterdam. The breakfast was good but in case you miss breakfast, the Albert Hein convenience store is right below and is open at 8AM.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the back of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Before arriving at Abba, I knew it's a one star hotel. The surprise is that is more then that, it was the most clean, comfortable one star hotel I've ever stayed.I give him 3 stars. We had a room with bathroom, balcony, double bed. Very clean and quiet. They changed towels every day. Breakfast is decent, you'll have bacon, cheese, salami, eggs, cereals, fruits and good coffee or natural juice. I love it.
If I have to come back to Amsterdam, I'll choose Abba. You have 2 km to the center(Red District) and 500 m to Leideseplane. There is a tram stop just in front of the hotel (take tram 1 to the center) and a supermarket.
And of course the Big Boss, Clemence the cat :)

• Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel is located just opposite a tram stop which made it extremely convenient to move around. Leidseplein is just one stop away and Vondelpark is less than 5 mins walking distance. There is also a supermarket just below the hotel.

The complimentary breakfast although the same everyday is quite good and filling. However the hotel only allows you to check in post 3pm and all rooms are located at the top of at least 2 flights of narrow stairs. They do however let you keep your luggage in a storage room, but refrain from keeping valuables there.

The rooms however are clean and have an en suite bathroom. Wifi in the hotel is also quite good.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with friends
Essex, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2015

I was originally going to give this hotel a good rating - I was really impressed with the standard of the hotel by the price. The room wasn't too small, and was a really great distance from the centre. Although there were two beds pushed together to make for a double bed, my boyfriend and I found ourselves falling through the middle several times, since both beds were on wheels! It was pretty funny but we wouldn't do it again. The thing that let down my stay so much was that when I checked out, I had walked to the centre and realised I'd left a few things in a drawer in the wardrobe back at the hotel. We walked back to the hotel, and my boyfriend asked at reception for the key. The room had been cleaned and the drawer was empty, and the cleaner claimed that she didn't find anything. I couldn't believe she could lie like that! It's a good thing I was going home, so I could have some clean underwear since they'd been taken! At breakfast, there was hardly anything to choose from, so if you're looking to stay here for the breakfast perk, it really isn't worth it. The wifi isn't very good on the top floor, but it wasn't the worst either. It was really loud hearing next door's music, but we didn't complain so I don't see the hotel as to blame for that. I'm more just disappointed with my stuff being taken to be honest.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Clogies, Manager at Hotel Abba, responded to this review, June 22, 2015
Dear Tigerlily W,

We are sorry to hear about this!
There seems to have been some sort of miscommunication, or our cleaner might not have known that one of our other cleaners had found your items. We are sure she did not lie to you in order to keep your underwear and that this was a misunderstanding.
We have checked all the lost and found items again and think that we have found your belongings. Would it be possible for you to send us an e-mail ( info@hotelabba.nl ) so that we can verify it is yours and get your belongings back to you?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

With kind regards,
Sorcha
Hotel Abba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2015

It's quite decent price considering general hotel/hostel price in Amsterdam. Room and facilities are kind of clean and staffs are nice. But the building itself is old, so you can actually hear other people's sound. If you are looking for the place where you can take a rest without any bothering noise, this is not the right place.

Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Khabarovsk Krai, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2015

I'm surprised reviews that said the hotel is "nasty". Inexpensive rooms (I had single room with private facilities), hotel is located near the center (Leidseplein, museums, Vondelpark), tram/bus/night bus stops nearby, and supermarket on the 1st floor (supermarket does not accept Visa cards, only cash and MasterCard).
Free wifi in the room: my phone with old Android can not connect to the net, but netbook worked fine, nevertheless.
There is no elevator in the hotel (only steep stairs), so keep that in mind if you have a lot of luggage.
Girl at reception was very friendly, gave me a lot of advice about tourist attractions and night transfer to airport.
Very good choice for budget travel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo