“Comfortable, Clean, Cheap and Conveniently located” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Abba

You added Hotel Abba to your Saves list
Hotel Abba
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Overtoom 118-122, 1054 HM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #213 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Mumbai
“Comfortable, Clean, Cheap and Conveniently located”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel is located just opposite a tram stop which made it extremely convenient to move around. Leidseplein is just one stop away and Vondelpark is less than 5 mins walking distance. There is also a supermarket just below the hotel.

The complimentary breakfast although the same everyday is quite good and filling. However the hotel only allows you to check in post 3pm and all rooms are located at the top of at least 2 flights of narrow stairs. They do however let you keep your luggage in a storage room, but refrain from keeping valuables there.

The rooms however are clean and have an en suite bathroom. Wifi in the hotel is also quite good.

Stayed June 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Essex, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was originally going to give this hotel a good rating - I was really impressed with the standard of the hotel by the price. The room wasn't too small, and was a really great distance from the centre. Although there were two beds pushed together to make for a double bed, my boyfriend and I found ourselves falling through the middle several times, since both beds were on wheels! It was pretty funny but we wouldn't do it again. The thing that let down my stay so much was that when I checked out, I had walked to the centre and realised I'd left a few things in a drawer in the wardrobe back at the hotel. We walked back to the hotel, and my boyfriend asked at reception for the key. The room had been cleaned and the drawer was empty, and the cleaner claimed that she didn't find anything. I couldn't believe she could lie like that! It's a good thing I was going home, so I could have some clean underwear since they'd been taken! At breakfast, there was hardly anything to choose from, so if you're looking to stay here for the breakfast perk, it really isn't worth it. The wifi isn't very good on the top floor, but it wasn't the worst either. It was really loud hearing next door's music, but we didn't complain so I don't see the hotel as to blame for that. I'm more just disappointed with my stuff being taken to be honest.

• Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
Clogies, Manager at Hotel Abba, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Tigerlily W,

We are sorry to hear about this!
There seems to have been some sort of miscommunication, or our cleaner might not have known that one of our other cleaners had found your items. We are sure she did not lie to you in order to keep your underwear and that this was a misunderstanding.
We have checked all the lost and found items again and think that we have found your belongings. Would it be possible for you to send us an e-mail ( info@hotelabba.nl ) so that we can verify it is yours and get your belongings back to you?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

With kind regards,
Sorcha
Hotel Abba
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's quite decent price considering general hotel/hostel price in Amsterdam. Room and facilities are kind of clean and staffs are nice. But the building itself is old, so you can actually hear other people's sound. If you are looking for the place where you can take a rest without any bothering noise, this is not the right place.

Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Khabarovsk Krai, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2015

I'm surprised reviews that said the hotel is "nasty". Inexpensive rooms (I had single room with private facilities), hotel is located near the center (Leidseplein, museums, Vondelpark), tram/bus/night bus stops nearby, and supermarket on the 1st floor (supermarket does not accept Visa cards, only cash and MasterCard).
Free wifi in the room: my phone with old Android can not connect to the net, but netbook worked fine, nevertheless.
There is no elevator in the hotel (only steep stairs), so keep that in mind if you have a lot of luggage.
Girl at reception was very friendly, gave me a lot of advice about tourist attractions and night transfer to airport.
Very good choice for budget travel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Riga, Latvia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2015

The guy at the front desk seemed cool, let us leave our luggage as they couldn't let us check in earlier than 3 pm.. We came back after 3 pm and went to our room.. Those steep stairs are annoying, and our room smelled like pee soooo bad! Nasty! Even opened windows didn't help! The shared bathroom and shower was ok, no problem with that, there were 3 different rooms on our floor, in the evening it smelled like weed so bad! Not sure if that was worth the price! Breakfast was ok and the other front desk guy let us use the printer to print our tickets. Other than that - if you book this place, try to stay out as much as possible.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Coimbra, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2015

We know this is a 1 star hotel so one can never compare it to 3, 4 or 5. Still, somethings are unacceptable like: no cleaning of rooms (I suppose there isn't enough staff to do all tasks so they just push the sheets of the beds up and I want to believe they change towels) and reception does no effort to make any changes (they just say "no" or "not possible bye"). Rooms close to the road are noisy because of the tram line (this is the first time I complain about the noise outsider in a low star hotel).
However, and because it is a 1 star hotel it is the best option for who just wants a place to sleep, take a shower and be close to everything. This hotel has a lot of advantages such as:
- Excellent location: tram stop is just on the exit/entrance of the hotel and takes you to the city center, dam, central station, flower market, and is near Rijks and Van Gogh's museum. You can go everywhere from there (even by foot). It's also near many restaurants, convenience stores, banks and grossery shops;
- Breakfast: good alternatives and good food for a 1 star hotel (even for many 3 stars hotels);
- Free wi-fi: very fast and all over the hotel (even in the tram stop you can have a bit of wireless);
- No curfew (you always keep the keys and can go into your room).

It's not a hotel for romance or for old or handycaped people. This is the right hotel for who wants to stay a few days, don't want to spend much and doesn't care with confort.

Room Tip: Location, wi-fi, attractions