“Friendly, budget accommodation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hortus

You added Hotel Hortus to your Saves list
Hotel Hortus
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plantage Parkln. 8, 1018 SR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #221 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Friendly, budget accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in august with a friend during a trip around Europe. The hotel, or should I say hostel, was very easy to locate and the welcome was friendly. The room we had was small, probably the smallest we experienced during our travels but was clean so no real issues. The breakfast was standard and the best thing about hortus is the location and value for money. Would definitely return!

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

First time in my life that I am writing an online review, but feel I must after the reception we had at this dump, I mean hotel. I had reserved a room for my family, including two young children. The hotel itself has dirty carpets, the rooms look like an after thought and they stink of smoke.
Not the place I want to stay with two young kids. Upon informing the pot bellied american at reception, he took a aggressive and hostile stance immediately. I just wanted to cancel and move on. But no, "sorry, you've booked now, you gotta pay". "Our advertising doesn't say that its not a non-smoking hotel." What tautology - I think he was on something else - maybe twinkie withdrawal? He even objected to my speaking in French with my French wife. I mean, seriously?

In short, this is a huge disappointment, and it was clear to them that this was not the hotel for us - but they could not care less and just wanted to cash the reservation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was worth our cost of twenty euros a night-ish ..this was a last minute deal..wouldn't have been disappointed if we had paid more! Friendly, efficient staff.. Happy to help and chat. Had a brilliant time with friend. Shared a bed and rooms are small but what more do you want!! Breakfast.. Also lovely!! Short walk from centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Crewe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My friend booked this hotel as I normally stay at durty nellys in the red light district and I absolutely loved it here. The staff are really friendly and can not do enough to help you. I will admit it is a little out of the way but everything is a short walk or even shorter tram ride away and well worth it for being able to see wild parrots flying outside your bedroom window. The people who complain about the stairs probably haven't been to Amsterdam before as that is how their houses are built as you used to be taxed on the width of the front of your house so everything was built slim and tall which leads to steep steps but they are more than manageable. i am already planning to go back in April 2013.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel give nice views of botanical gardens
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hortus hostel is located in a green, quiet area of Amsterdam, close to the park with a set of trees and close to the city center. On the ground floor of the hostel, next to the reception there was a spacious dining room which has been equipped with refrigerator, TV, pool table and all the necessary kitchen utensils: forks, cups and spoons. You can buy the necessary products in the store and then prepare your meal by yourself. During my stay there breakfast was included in the price, but was rather modest. My room was located on the top floor, where led quite steep stairs. The room furniture included tiny beds, small TV and a sink where I could brush my teeth. The toilet and shower were outside in the corridor.
Overall, I liked this hotel, as it was clean and in good condition, and moreover it had quite reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The staff here were fantastic, very friendly and upgraded our room to a much larger one with a shower. The room was clean and comfortable. We had late nights while staying here so never got to try out the breakfast :s The location is great. In a nice, quiet area of Amsterdam but only a 10-15minute walk to the city centre. There is a tram stop just around the corner so it easily accessible to the train station. No complaints! Would definately recommend :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hortus? Share your experiences!