“Awesome!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Pig Uptown

You added Flying Pig Uptown to your Saves list
Flying Pig Uptown
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Vossiusstraat 46-47, 1071 AJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #30 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed in. Staff are really cool and friendly, and always happy to help out. Really chilled out, safe and clean and also has a really cool bar and smoking area downstairs, perfect for making friends! The only thing that lets it down is the wifi, don't appear to get it in the rooms and can be unreliable in the common rooms. However definitely staying there when I return to Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I travelled around Europe and this is definitely up there as one of the best hostels. Staff are all really cool and friendly, everywhere is clean, rooms are comfortable and the bar is super cheap!! Close to lots of restaurants,shops and tram stops if you want to head to other areas of the city.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Flying_Pig_Uptown, Front Office Manager at Flying Pig Uptown, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you very much for your review! We are happy to hear you had such a great time! We hope to welcome you to our hostel again next time you are heading for Amsterdam! - The Flying Pig Uptown
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was my first hostel experience ever, I had read lots of reviews online and was happy that I listened to all the good reviews for this place. As soon as you walk in the staff greeted my friend and I and told us all about the hostel and tours we were able to go on for free through the hostel. Throughout the stay the staff were so friendly and very helpful as it was our first time to the city. Our bedroom was a mixed bedroom, the room was very clean as the staff cleaned everything daily along with the showers and washrooms. COMFY BEDS AND PILLOWS, we were tempted to take one home! I never had a problem with anything the whole time I was there. The atmosphere is really relaxed and fun, I will definitely come back to this hostel next time I come to Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Flying_Pig_Uptown, Front Office Manager at Flying Pig Uptown, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you very much for leaving such a positive review! It's great to hear you had such a good time! We look forward to the next time you are in Amsterdam! - The Flying Pig Uptown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Me and six friends booked a long weekend to Amsterdam at this hostel after hearing good things from other friends. This was our first hostel experience and I was expecting it to be filthy with bad food and people trying to steal our stuff, but I couldn't have been more wrong!

The hostel was spotlessly clean! The showers were nicer than the showers at my gym and the rooms were clean with nice beds/pillows and pretty big lockers. Breakfast was good! A choice of cereals, toast, boiled eggs, Nutella, jam etc. with tea and orange juice. You can help yourself and eat as much as you like! All the staff were friendly, relaxed and helpful and so were the other people staying at the hostel. It had such a chilled out atmosphere; everyone spoke to each other, got on, shared stories and lighters etc.

We stayed in the 14 person room because it was the cheapest, which I thought might be a problem sharing with strangers etc. but as soon as we got there we made friends with a guy from New Jersey, a guy from Amsterdam and a guy from Reading, who became our tour guides and showed us around the city. I'm usually not a fan of sharing a room/bed/air with people (especially a room full of guys all snoring away) but after a day of endlessly walking and smoking, as soon as my head hit the pillow I was dead to the world and didn't hear any of the other people sharing the room even move. At times I forgot we were even sharing a room and got a bit of a shock when someone suddenly popped up in one of the beds! You need padlocks for lockers and plug adapters but you can buy/hire these from the reception because these guys are awesome and have everything covered. You can even rent towels for 2 euros...

The hostel is a short walk away from the central part of the city with loads of shops, restaurants, bars, coffee shops etc to choose from. The hostel provide you with free maps and theres loads of discount flyers in the reception/stairs. Walking isn't a problem in Amsterdam because there is always so much to look at on your journey! Just make sure you're wearing a good pair of shoes. Traffic is pretty crazy - we were gonna rent bikes but cyclists seem so fast and angry (they have their own little bike lanes and you have to press the button and wait for the red man just to cross the bike lane) so we gave the bikes a miss this time!

As you can see from my photos, the art work in the hostel is crazy! I loved staring at the walls for hours, we never ran out of things to look at! It was nice to spend a night out in the city and then spend a night just chilling in the hostel with plenty of new people to talk to. If we go back to Amsterdam (which we all hope we will) we would 100% come back to this hostel and I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here if they want a weekend in Dam! (I could've happily stayed there for weeks, months, my whole life)

Overall awesome stay and we are thankful to all the people at the hostel for making our weekend so stress-free and chilled! I can't think of anything they could've done to make our stay any better!

Room Tip: 14 person room is cheapest, comfy beds and pillows, noise level depends how lucky you are with the p...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review and sharing your experience with us and other travelers! We are glad you had such a good time! We look forward to welcoming you to our hostel next time you are in Amsterdam! Just one thing to add to your review: The towels are actually free, you get the 2 euro deposit back when you hand in the towel at reception. Thanks again for your review! - The Flying Pig Uptown
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I've never been to Amsterdam nor stayed in a hostel before so this was a first all round for me. I was not disappointed.

It really says something when the mattress in a hostel is more comfortable than the one you actually own in your house. This bed was BEAUTIFUL. My boyfriend and I did shell out for a private room but it was so worth it. After walking endlessly (seriously, endlessly) around the city all day we chilled out in the smoking room (immensely enjoyable atmosphere) before passing out in our room. Every morning (we stayed 3 nights) I woke up feeling renewed, my legs no longer aching, my back as supple as cooked spaghetti. I am longing for this mattress since returning home.
Also although you can definitely hear people opening/closing doors from inside your room, once you're high you just pass out so it's no longer a problem!
The location isn't great if you don't like walking (why are you in Amsterdam then? Go home) but the hostel is right by the park which would have been lovely to sit in if the weather had been a little warmer. The neighborhood feels really safe and relaxed and it's literally a 5 miniute walk from the bus stop.
The staff are really friendly, super helpful and half the time unrecognisable from the guests unless they're wearing a crew shirt. It took me a few days to figure out certain people actually worked there and weren't just randomly popping behind the bar! But whatever you need, they'll get for you.
The facilities were superb. I really didn't know what to expect from a hostel but it was very clean, a constant supply of hot water and plenty of WC'S. Relaxed atmosphere and an endless supple of people to talk to.
Breakfast every morning was fab. Chocolate spread mixed with peanut butter on toast = Snickers toast. YUM.
Really convenient locker hire, adapter hire, bike rental etc.
Overall a very enjoyable stay. I'm already looking to book another stay - I think that says it all!

Room Tip: a private room is more expensive but you get towels included and a TV if you're not planning to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks a lot for your long and positive review! It's great to hear that the bed in our hostel was more comfortable than your own! It's great you already plan to book again next time you're in Amsterdam! We will be ready to welcome you again! - The Flying Pig Uptown
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Met heaps of great people including lovely staff. There were people of all ages and backgrounds. Reasonable breakfast included too. Fun bar area. Right near Rijlksmuseum and Leidseplein (great area for eating out and going out). Only comment would be that at times the wifi was super slow and that if you want to be near red light district or central station then try flying pig downtown instead.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review! We are happy to read that you met so many different great people! We apologize for the fact that the Wi Fi was acting up when you guys were around, we are hoping to improve are Wi Fi overall! We hope you decide to stay with us again next time you're around! - The Flying Pig Uptown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here for three nights mid-week with a friend. Her first hostel experience whereas I've been to lots (both in our mid twenties). This is an excellent hostel - good service, clean rooms, large lockers under bed for all your valuables. Bar open 12 noon til 3am then you can still buy drinks from "reception" (it's the same place) after that. There's an indoor smoking room for "all that's legal in Amsterdam" if that's what you're into. Showers clean, never had to queue. Bar was sociable and breakfast was included in the price (good selection, pretty healthy). Overall an excellent hostel located in a nice, safe-feeling area (we're two females and walked home from town each night).

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your very detailed review! It's awesome for us to hear you guys had a good time and that everything was up to standard! We hope you decide to stay with us next time you are in Amsterdam! - The Flying Pig Uptown

Been to Flying Pig Uptown? Share your experiences!