“Homely” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Atlas Hotel

You added Atlas Hotel to your Saves list
Atlas Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Eeghenstraat 64, 1071 GK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #210 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Homely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Pros: The staff were very nice. The place is outdated, but it is nice and cosy. TV worked really well. There is a working elevator. A big heater in my room with adjustable heat level. It is not too far from the tram stop.
Cons: My room was very dusty. The shower was small, but there is a bath tub.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hebrew first
Méier, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2015

I´ll write this in English so all can read. My fiancée and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days. Upon arrival in our room we noticed the decor is old and could definitely use redecorating. Wallpaper peeling etc. Bathroom is small, but ok. Showerhead holder broken and stains at the bottom om the showercurtain. Then we noticed stains on the toiletseat. I complained at the reception and later on we received an upgrade. However, they informed us that the toiletseat wasn´t dirty, but just old. I´ve never heard of something getting stains from old age, so it was definitely dirty once and never well cleaned. They also told me they´ve received more complaints regarding the cleanliness, so we weren´t the only ones finding something about the (bath)room filthy.

So, upgraded to a bigger room. Nice gesture. However, the blowdryer in the bathroom was broken and the towel meant for the hands and/or floor of the bathroom had a brown stain! Apparently no one in the hotel checks these kind of things or just doesn't care. I went back the reception and the receptionist went to get cleaner ones. Unfortunately, she noticed one of the towels she was about to give me was also dirty so she had to go back and gave me two clean ones. After taking a shower my towel got ripped, so it was far from hotelstandards as well. I'm not one to complain about small stuff, but every guest deserve clean sheets, clean towels and a clean bathroom. This hotel doesn't seem to care as much as they should.

Oh, also the coffee at breakfast was cold... We read many positive reviews about this hotel before booking, but we definitely left disappointed. Location is great, but does that mean a hotel shouldn't give 100% to make sure each guest can enjoy a spotless stay?

I think the hotel should have done more to accomodate us when I complained after the upgrade, but all we got were apologies.

All in all, I would recommend this establishment only to people who don't care about stains and cleanliness...

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel. The location is perfect for museums, shopping, and sightseeing. Our stay was perfect, room was just perfect and spotless!
They serve a very nice continental breakfast which was included in our room rate so it was complimentary. There is a great cafe near the hotel which is certainly inviting, the servers are engaging and courteous. The service of Atlas here is what makes it special. The close involvement of the owner in managing this property makes the key difference. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 223
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

The only thing still good about the Atlas is its great location. It is tired, shabby, and borderline unhealthy. The towels might make good rags. Everything is worn or broken. My better half reported the hair dryer was broken and was told none of them in the rooms worked! The staff tries to help but the management has run this once reliable place into the ground. If we had not been required to prepay our stay we would have left straight away. I could not wait to get away. It would not take much in the way of investment to turn this around, but I am not giving it much hope. Airbnb will provide many better choices in the same area.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

I have stayed at the Atlas a few times now. It is off the beaten path and is quite a walk from the old quarter. I like the proximity to the museums and away from the noisy touristy canal area. It is quiet and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is close to bus and tram stops so getting around is easy. The rooms are clean but like most hotels in Amsterdam they are older and show wear and tear. They serve breakfast but there are also other options in the area within walking distance. It is next to a large park for walking or jogging. I use this hotel as home base whenever I am in Amsterdam.

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Abingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights. The hotel's in a great spot, right near all the museums and just walking distance from bus and tram stops as well as some really nice places to eat out. Vondelpark is also just right behind it. I chose not to have breakfast included and found cheaper options elsewhere. My room was a good size and had everything I needed and all of the staff were very polite. It was a little noisy at times as the walls are very thin but that wasn't a huge issue.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Wootton Bassett, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

From the outside this authentic dutch building in an attractive area looks stunning. Unfortunately the only well cared for area is the lounge which I am sure is for photographs. We were in a twin room, the beds were only suitable for children. All communal areas need care, kitchen takes up loads of room but no-one cooks, breakfast is a cramped affair. What looks like funky styling in the pictures is actually Brown gloss paint and Formica furniture.

However, it is in a good position and a reasonable price but next time would spend a bit more to have floor space

Room Tip: Don't pick a twin
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Been to Atlas Hotel? Share your experiences!