“Clean hotel, small rooms, breakfast seen better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Atlas Hotel

Save Saved
You added Atlas Hotel to your Saves list
Atlas Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Eeghenstraat 64, 1071 GK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #188 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Clean hotel, small rooms, breakfast seen better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Small, clean hotel.
Nice neigbourhood 12-15 min on tram or bicycle to downtown Amsterdam, close to Van Gogh and other museums. Next to the nice Vondelpark
Rooms quite small. The (free) wifi-service pretty unstable, as the signal is very weak.
Breakfast acceptable, but could easily be better - ambitions seems low.
Nice staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel for the following reasons:

Location is superb, classy neighbourhood with beautiful buildings and local eateries and of course the fantastic Vondelpark.

You can hire a bicycle from the hotel, which means that within minutes, you can be in the centre of town after a brilliant cycle trip through the park and around the city - is there any other way to experience Amsterdam other than the way the locals do it?

The staff were extremely pleasant, helpful and above all responsive.

The rooms were on the whole clean, the beds comfortable & the bathroom spotless.

I have to point out that on my scheduled arrival at 10.30pm (reception closes at 11.00pm), my partner and I were shown to a dismal basement twin room which smelt of either cigarettes or damp or both. We were obviously disgruntled to be given two separate single beds, not least as I am almost 2m tall. It was pointed out to me that in the Terms and Agreements, I had signed up to either a double or twin room and that I should have indicated on booking from in the additional notes section that I only wanted a double. Bit of an easy get out clause on the part of the hotel I guess, but be warned you do need to state exactly what you want in terms of room set up when using an online booking engine. I also suspect that as the hotel was full and we were the last ones to arrive that day, we drew the short straw and ended up with this totally inadequate room.

On the positive side, after making my feelings quite clear at the time to the reception that it was unacceptable & would not stay a second night in the room (not much I could do that night so had to take up the existing room option), we were moved the next day to room 224, a much more agreeable room on the 1st floor with great big windows and lots more space. Thank Heavens as I was not well most of that day and was very glad of the very acceptable standards as I languished in my room all of the afternoon rather than taking in the sights of Amsterdam :(

I can see how guests state that the hotel may appear a bit tired, but to reiterate, everything was clean & comfortable.

I have stayed in the Park Plaza Vondelpark which is just a few minutes up the road, cost roughly the same price and is much more contemporary. But you know what, I would prefer to come back to the Atlas largely due to the very friendly & efficient customer service, the fact that the place just felt more homely and the actual building itself which is a fine period piece.

And bear in mind that all hotels are expensive in Amsterdam so as is always the case, you cannot compare this hotel with a similar priced one elsewhere.

Parking is an absolute nightmare. Hard to find parking spaces in the first place and when you do, super expensive.

After reading the reviews in more detail, specifically the more negative ones, one thing strikes me above all else. People that complain after the event and do not make their feelings known to the management have only themselves to blame. Whilst our arrival after a long drive was an absolute shambles with regards our unacceptable room, I made sure there and then that I communicated how angry I was with our room which meant that the staff could then act upon this and rectify the situation, which they did with the utmost courtesy, efficiency and pleasantness. Well handled, I thought.

And please, tax is tax and maybe a few cents would have ended up going to the hotel. But I do not believe that this is a calculated attempt to con people out of money.

I will most certainly be returning to Amsterdam again I am sure, and I will be staying at the Atlas, again of that I am sure. Just not in a substandard basement room!

Room Tip: Do not take a basement room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I arrived at the Atlas Hotel in mid March with a terrible headache and four-day old cold. Though I hadn’t requested one, I asked the reception staff for a quiet room, preferably facing the garden and away from the front side of the hotel. Though I sensed the hotel was busy (which from the lovely breakfast the next days, I saw it was), the staff was extremely accommodating and flexible. They gave me a room, which was PERFECT! It faced the garden, and was quiet. I managed to get three wonderful nights of sleep and saw myself recovering over my time in Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family and I spent 5 days at TheAtlas hotel in Amsterdam. It was our first stay there and also our first visit to Amsterdam. The hotel's ambiance and Manageress made our stay outstanding. The full continental breakfast, charming rooms made us feel at home. The location and helpful, friendly management and staff made it very easy to get to where we needed to go. The hotel is where I will stay during any future visits to Amsterdam as it close to the most wonderful museums, a must visit for all. Thank you Atlas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am a big fan of art, and wanted a hotel in the centre, which was close to the museums. Atlas is very central, and has a beautiful ambience. It is reflective of Amsterdam's art scene. The staff are kind and helpful. As an art aficionado, I found it extra helpful that the hotel had its own Van Gogh tickets! I managed to skip the long queue! I strongly recommend you stay here!

Room Tip: Any room is good. I quite liked my room on the ground floor, overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel is ideally located in the Museum District of Amsterdam, within walking distance to all the main tourist areas. They have bikes for rental, and a buffet breakfast each morning. The staff are friendly and helpful and full of recommendations. The rooms are small, but more than sufficient. My only negative would be the poor insulation between the rooms. There seemed to be someone coming and going at all hours of the night on the floor above us as doors were constantly opening and closing and baths/showers were running. Bring a pair of earplugs and you'll be fine! The location which backs onto the park is ideal for strolls and bike rides.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlas Hotel? Share your experiences!