“What a stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atlas Hotel

Save Saved
You added Atlas Hotel to your Saves list
Atlas Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Eeghenstraat 64, 1071 GK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #189 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“What a stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I arrived at the Atlas Hotel in mid March with a terrible headache and four-day old cold. Though I hadn’t requested one, I asked the reception staff for a quiet room, preferably facing the garden and away from the front side of the hotel. Though I sensed the hotel was busy (which from the lovely breakfast the next days, I saw it was), the staff was extremely accommodating and flexible. They gave me a room, which was PERFECT! It faced the garden, and was quiet. I managed to get three wonderful nights of sleep and saw myself recovering over my time in Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hebrew first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family and I spent 5 days at TheAtlas hotel in Amsterdam. It was our first stay there and also our first visit to Amsterdam. The hotel's ambiance and Manageress made our stay outstanding. The full continental breakfast, charming rooms made us feel at home. The location and helpful, friendly management and staff made it very easy to get to where we needed to go. The hotel is where I will stay during any future visits to Amsterdam as it close to the most wonderful museums, a must visit for all. Thank you Atlas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am a big fan of art, and wanted a hotel in the centre, which was close to the museums. Atlas is very central, and has a beautiful ambience. It is reflective of Amsterdam's art scene. The staff are kind and helpful. As an art aficionado, I found it extra helpful that the hotel had its own Van Gogh tickets! I managed to skip the long queue! I strongly recommend you stay here!

Room Tip: Any room is good. I quite liked my room on the ground floor, overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel is ideally located in the Museum District of Amsterdam, within walking distance to all the main tourist areas. They have bikes for rental, and a buffet breakfast each morning. The staff are friendly and helpful and full of recommendations. The rooms are small, but more than sufficient. My only negative would be the poor insulation between the rooms. There seemed to be someone coming and going at all hours of the night on the floor above us as doors were constantly opening and closing and baths/showers were running. Bring a pair of earplugs and you'll be fine! The location which backs onto the park is ideal for strolls and bike rides.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Atlas hotel for us was the ideal small hotel with high quaility rooms and service of the management and staff created the best Hospitality during our recent stay.
Location was wonderful, at the dorr step of all the museums and the park and high class designer shops.
We loved every minute we spent at the hotel with most comfortable rooms and caring manageres.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at the Atlas Hotel, maybe 15 times in the late 1980's throughout the mid 90's. This gem of a hotel was beautiful, warm and a constant delight to stay at. It now seems to be part of a chain "Hampshire Hospitality" and the state of the hotel is certainly not what it was. Everything is rundown and worn out- the toilet ran, the facets leak, the wallpaper is torn. The place is really in sad shape. More significantly they seem to have gutted the once charming rooms and revamped it to squeeze in more rooms. What they left put was any soundproofing between rooms. You can hear every sneeze that happens in the next room. My son was placed in a room in the basement. The smell of mildew was overpowering and nothing electrical worked in his room- no lights worked. They changed his room after one sleepless night. Kind of weird and frankly inexcusable customer service. It doesn't seem like anyone is doing maintaince in this hotel. The front desk workers were indifferent to downright unhelpful. They seem to have been instructed to do as little as possible in terms of general hotel service. I had train tickets to Paris and asked the front desk if they could please check the train sched. to confirm my timing, I did not have a computer with me. The woman said that she didn't know how to get to the train sched. via computer. Really? I asked a gent to please make a dinner reservation for me at a local Dutch restaurant. He told me that he could, but that he'd have to charge me .50 Eruo to do so. Really?
I used to recommend this hotel to everyone as one of the hidden jewels of Amserdam. Sadly, I will never do this again........

Room Tip: If you MUST stay here, be sure to NOT get a basement room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlas Hotel? Share your experiences!