Well what can we say about staying at the "wonderful" Amstel Botel? If you look at all of the pictures of the Botel online then what you see in actual fact is a "glossed" up image of the establishment! Situated in the midst of a worksite (which doesn't seem to rest!) it is not very picturesque! - But then again most travellers haven't come to Amsterdam for the panoramic views have they!!
When we arrived, we found out that our rooms were not ready as of yet, and to come back in 2 hours, or spend some time in the bar...which at 10.30am in the morning isn't really an option. When we arrived back at the check in desk two hours later, our rooms were still not ready! After complaining about this, we were told by the "helpful" reception staff that as we were not being helpful then they would not be... After a bit more "gentle" persuasion and pleading from us to they, they told us to sit in the bar and have a drink on them! (Again, after travelling from 4am in the morning, we were a bit tired, it was now 12.30pm!)
When we eventually were let into our rooms, I can only say I was surprised by how well they are presented. We had a "doubleroom" which consisted of a large double bed, but with a thick piece of wood in the middle of it (think of 2 single beds joined together and you get the drift!)It was very clean though very basic.
Don't believe the scary reveiews which say that there is no running hot/cold water as this is quite untrue...though watch out for the pressure in the shower...it is akin to a "jet washer!"
The room is equipped with Television and satelite channels including free "Adult" programmes on channel 31!
The breakfasts are also very nice with a large choice from Continental to Cooked, and to cereals.
The Bar seems to be well equipped also, but don't beleive the closing times t night because Hotel guests are asked to leave half an hour before it closes so that the locals can use it...We were asked to leave by a rather intimitating he/she barmaid/barman.
For the price, it is very adequete though the satff are quite rude and unco-operative....especially Steen!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Amstel Botel is Amsterdam's floating hotel. Stay in our hotel with unique design in appearance. We are located in the center of Amsterdam just 3 minutes walk from the Central Railway Station and 18 minutes ride from Amsterdam Airport, which offers a splendid opportunity to discover Amsterdam's history, culture and beauty. The Amstel Botel has 175 rooms, smoking and non-smoking rooms available, all with toilet/shower, hot/cold water, safe, AM/FM clock radio, writing desk, telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Despegar.com, HostelWorld, HostelBookers, Odigeo, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Amstel Botel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amstel Botel Hotel Amsterdam
- Amstel Botel Alkmaar
- Amstel Botel Hotel Alkmaar
- Botel Amsterdam