We had an average experience with this hotel in Amsterdam.
As everybody knows, it's located on the other side of the river and to reach this hotel you need to get a ferry (free of charge) from the central station. To be honest, I normally don't mind using public transport to reach city centers when I am on holidays but on this case, it was really annoying. The ferry takes ages to reach the hotel and it's always busy. When you miss the ferry, you have to wait 30 minutes for another one, but if you're lucky enough, sometimes 15 minutes. The tip is, be careful with timing, otherwise you will waste a lot of time with that. Be careful with the name of the destination of the ferry, otherwise you mind end up in the wrong place (check hotel page for info).
The neighborhood is very safe and there are some places to eat nearby but we didn't try any of them. By the way, none of them were open till late, so if you want to eat something late night, do at the central station or in the city center.
The botel have a good size window in the rooms and I was a bit worried about the noise. Wen we got inside to the room after checking in, I could clearly hear people next door chatting up (not from the window but by the wall - very thin). Luckily, I couldn't hear a thing later on, as they were quietly at night time otherwise could a nightmare. The downsides in the room were: 1 - The room was small, so not many places to leave your personal stuff; 2 - Curtains not thick and dark enough to avoid brightness early morning.
The bed was comfortable with decent size, the bedding sheets were all very clean, but the only down side would be the pillow, it's very low.
The bathroom is very, very small with good shower pressure. All towels were very clean and changed everyday.
You will have a TV in your room, but I didn't had time to watch, so I don't know if they have a good channel selection.
The staff is polite, fast (check in/out) and the room is very well cleaned.
The WiFi signal was weak and not too fast, but at least it's free!
Breakfast was really, really good, they have bread, cereal, bacon, baked beans, sausage, orange juice, salami, cheese, yogurt and etc.
Overall, this place wouldn't be our fist choice, but if we couldn't find cheaper hotels, we would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Amstel Botel is Amsterdam's floating hotel. Stay in our hotel with unique design in appearance. We are located in the center of Amsterdam just 3 minutes walk from the Central Railway Station and 18 minutes ride from Amsterdam Airport, which offers a splendid opportunity to discover Amsterdam's history, culture and beauty. The Amstel Botel has 175 rooms, smoking and non-smoking rooms available, all with toilet/shower, hot/cold water, safe, AM/FM clock radio, writing desk, telephone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, HostelWorld, Hotel.de, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Amstel Botel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amstel Botel Hotel Amsterdam
- Amstel Botel Alkmaar
- Amstel Botel Hotel Alkmaar
- Botel Amsterdam