I stayed there with my family in April 2014 for 5 nights on our first visit to Amsterdam. From Schiphol Airport, we took NS train towards Amsterdam Centraal,
Sloterdijk Station is the second stop (Schiphol, Laylelaan and Sloterdijk) and takes around 10 minutes. At Sloterdijk, go to Stationhall (main floor of the station),
take the bus/tram exit for the hotel which is on the left if facing the main door of the Sloterdijk station. The extrance was from the back of the hotel, probably
because of the major development works near the station. Take the lift to reception which is at Level 1. We were greeted very well by the reception staff who spoke
perfect English and also told us about the transport links from the hotel and issued as a map of Amsterdam. I asked if I can get extra entry fob (key for the room) for
my wife which was issued to me immediately. The room was on the 7th floor with the view of the road and wind farms. Excellent room and a king size double bed was what
we got. Nice toilet with good shower. Room also has tea making facility, a single sofa and LCD telly with BBC. Being next to the station and development work going in
the area, we did hear some noises but it wasn't loud and didn't bother us at all.
I also asked for a child cot which was present in the room but it won't lock properly from one side and that there was no pillow or duvet for child. I asked the
reception to check the cot and if they can provide pillow and blanket. I was told that they will check the cot and provide the pillow and blanket but nothing was
checked or provided until I asked again the second day. On that occassion, I was given a pillow for the child but they said that they don't have child sized duvet. I
asked if I can have several large towel which can be used as blanket which was then provided. I had to ask the reception again the following day to check the cot as it
doesn't lock from one end and finally it got replaced.
Other issue I had was the cleaning service in the room. Although the hotel was very clean and tidy, the room cleaning service was not great. They won't wash the tea
cups, not even replenish the tea/coffee bags. On several occassion they didn't even pick up the pillow that was dropped on the floor. One day, carpet in our room
wasn't even vaccummed as the rubbish was still on the floor.
Hotel provides breakfast from 6:30 to 10:30 which IMHO was abundent which included cereals, croissants, buns, meats, jam, cheese, butter, fruits, bread, juices, tea,
coffee and milk. Although I think there should be a little more variety for vegeterians such as Hash Browns, Baked Beans, etc. The hotel has large and bright breakfast
room, although it might ocassionally get busy but the staff was excellent and always present to help. There is a koisk inside the hotel which had microwave food, which
you can buy for around Euro 4.50 (which is Halal too).
The hotel has free wifi which provides good internet connectivity. They had issue with the internet on one day but that was identified quickly and it was fixed within
hours. The best thing is that they provide KPN internet at hotel, which works across Netherlands as you get KPN wifi almost everywhere in Netherlands (I used it in
Hague as well). So no extra internet cost :)
Hotel is very well located with excellent transport link, not far at all from the city centre and bus 48 can take you there in 20 mins or Amsterdam Centraal is the
next station if using train. Tram 12 take you to the other side on the city towards Vodelpark.
- Excellent location
- Good transport
- Overall clean
- Nice staff
- Good size bed
- Better bedding should be provided for children
- Most importantly, room cleaning service needs to be improved
Overall, we had a good stay and I would definitely recommend it to someone visiting Amsterdam for the first time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - Sloterdijk Station is now open!The hotel is ideally located on top of one of the main train stations of Amsterdam. With great connections from the Airport terminal building by train (every few minutes in 8 minutes door to door) and excellent onward connections within 5 minutes to Amsterdam Central Station (50 times an hour by either train, metro, tram and bus) it has never been so easy to enjoy Amsterdam without worrying to much about your budget. The train on your doorstep will bring you into the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam city centre within 5 minutes where you can enjoy famous sites like the Dam square, Anne Frank House, Portuguese Synagogue, Van Gogh Museum, famous canals (grachten), Rijksmuseum, canal boat rides, Begijnenhof, red light district, Bijenkorf, shopping, sightseeing and clubbing at your convenience. With spacious, well-furnished rooms offering great bedding and walk in shower and modern equipment like LCD TVs with satellite TV, free Wi-Fi (in the whole hotel), free coffee/tea facilities and free Continental breakfast, this hotel is your best central point to start your journey into so many main destinations like Amsterdam, Haarlem, The Hague, etc in the Netherlands. Next to the parking spaces at the hotel our guests will also find special low-cost parking facilities next to the hotel and the train station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.