“Great location and price but no wi-fi and weird noises!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #65 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bagshot, United Kingdom
“Great location and price but no wi-fi and weird noises!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have to say the hotel and rooms are very clean but I was interrupted every night by noise. The first night was a bizarre howling noise when the door was closed. I called to reception to see if someone could come and listen but they were busy checking in a group and would be with me shortly. 1 hour and a half later still no one had been up or even called. I went down to reception only to be told it's wind and it happens sometimes, I walked past all the rooms on my floor and not one had the same howling noise that mine did! It was awful. I went and bought earplugs for the next night. I was then woken up by a weird buzzing noise. It was very loud and happened at completely random times all through the night. I did not have a good nights sleep at all during my stay of three nights. I will say you don't hear the trains though!
The hotel is in an extremely good location for the airport and Amsterdam Centraal station. I think the UK could learn a thing or too about public transport!
The breakfast is good but nothing hot is available apart from drinks. It did become annoying that there was nowhere to buy a decent dinner in the hotel but we did know this before we booked.
My other complaint is the wi-fi. It didn't work. This was one of the main attractions of the hotel! So frustrating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jasmineint,

Thank you for you review and honest feedback. I am happy to read that you noticed the cleanliness of our hotel. Something we work for very hard every day.

During the last week we did have some problems with our connectivity, and even though it does not help you at this moment, I am happy to inform you that these have been resolved. I am sorry to read that we were not able to assist you with noise that was in your room. Would it be possible to contact me directly via gm.amsop@hiex.nl so I can check the room myself?

Again thank you for your time and I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel.

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Everything in the city was booked months ahead for a convention, so for one day prior to a cruise we had to stay out here. It is on the train line from the airport, so is very convenient to get to and it is also the end of a tram line that takes you into the city. So it's very convenient, even though not central.

The local area is a wasteland of railway tracks and apart from a small snack bar there is nothing in the vicinity, and the hotel only serves breakfast.

The rooms were typical Holiday Inn Express at about four times the North American price. It was even more expensive than the much higher class Movenpick hotel in central Amsterdam we stayed in previously. Perhaps they were charging more because of the convention.

The room was clean, quiet and a reasonable size, but had virtually no storage space at all. Didn't worry us because we were living out of our suitcases for one night. Service was friendly and the breakfast was very good - the best feature of the stay.

Maybe they don't always charge almost US$400 a night (including breakfast and free wifi), but if they do, stay here only if you have run out of other alternatives.

Room Tip: All rooms look out over railway tracks! But ours was very quiet.
Dear What,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with us via TripAdvisor. It is always nice to read that both the service provided and breakfast served were very much to your liking. As you mention there where some large city wide events during your time of stay which affected the city's hotel pricing.

I do hope that during your next trip to the Netherlands we may welcome you again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my partner and the hotel was excellent ! all the staff were very friendly and the reception staff were very helpful . I had requested a bottle of champagne in our room befor we arrived and when we got there it was just how i expected it . we stayed in room 716 and the room was very clean and quiete . Overall we had a perfect stay and i would definitely be back .

Many thanks again

Dear S W,

I am very happy to read your feedback, thank you for your kind words!

Please rest assure this will be shared with the team.

Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is clean, efficient and convenient. This is not the place for charm or old world ambience, but if you are looking for value, its best attribute is the accessibility to tram train and bus which is incredibly convenient.

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor to get away from the traffic hum, or ask for one not facing the station...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GM_HI_Express, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear mitzi-meow,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the location of the hotel.

Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is not located in downtown Amsterdam but is located on both the railway line and bus routes. On the railway you have the airport, a few stops later the hotel and a few stops later downtown Amsterdam. We choose to access the hotel not by railway but by bus from Central Station in Amsterdam so we could use our 24 hour bus and tram pass which saved us a few Euros. The hotel is excellent. We arrived early hoping to only leave our suitcases and was immediately given our room several hours ahead of check in time. This is a modern, efficient hotel. Much more than a 3 star hotel. Breakfast was excellent as were the available choices and seating. Internet worked like a charm. You can even email them your boarding pass or museum e-ticket and they will print them for you. The major drawback is that there are limited choices for dinner as there are no restaurants at the hotel or in the vicinity. You have delivery which didn't appeal to us or travel back into the center of Amsterdam where the choices are endless. This is what we choose to do again utilizing our 24 hour bus pass. Security and cleanliness are paramount here. We would definitely return.

Dear GusandTerry,

Thank your sharing your recent experiences with us through Tripadvisor. It is very nice to read you had such a lovely tim staying with us enjoying our free WiFi and free Continental Breakfast. I am happy to learn that my colleagues have been able to assist you by printing your documents and that you felt safe whilst being with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I spend 4 nights at this hotel as my husband attended the European Cardiology Congress Aug 30-Sep 04 and I was not disappointed. The hotel looks new and it is well maintained. The room was very clean (small as normal in Europe) but everything worked perfectly. The breakfast buffet was awesome, I loved the fact that there were vegetables (fresh cucumber & tomato) and fruits other than just scramble eggs. Internet was included and it worked perfectly. The location is a bit far from downtown, but with the beautiful views from the bus you could not complain, I took bus 48 right outside the hotel and that one would take me up to Central Station maybe 20 or 15 minutes away. We arrived very early maybe around 10am and they gave us a room maybe an hour later, we really appreciate that as we were tired. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Amsterdam. If you take the train rather than the bus, it is only one stop to Central Station.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Vannylo82,

Thank you for your feedback. The hotel is indeed located between Schiphol Airport and Amsterdam Central Station, with multiple means of public transport to travel back and forth.

I am glad you enjoyed our free continental breakfast.

Paul

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was looking for a hotel close to to Amsterdam Centraal Station but since none were available my company booked me into this hotel. Initially disappointed, I read the on line reviews and decided to give it a go. I was not disappointed. The hotel is clean, comfortable and quiet. Hotel staff were very helpful. Buses and trams run on a frequent basis into Amsterdam and I enjoyed a couple of days sightseeing. I then travelled by train to Oss which is south of Amsterdam and the closely located station made this an easy journey. Having observed the busy and chaotic Amsterdam Centraal station, I was glad to depart from the smaller and easier to navigate Sloterdijk station. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Women that like their hair products (shampoo and conditioner) might be advised to bring travel size products though the provided body wash does in a pinch. Bring body lotion too if you need that!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jane H,

Thank you for the time you have taken to share your experiences with others through TripAdvisor. It is very nice to read that you were happy with the hotel that was booked for you. The location looks a bit off, but as you have written we are very centrally located.

Again, thank you for your kind works and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel.
Paul

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station

Been to Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Sloterdijk Station? Share your experiences!