“Excellent budget hotel. Ideal for solo travellers.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of easyHotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added easyHotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
easyHotel Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   van Ostadestraat 97, Amsterdam 1072 ST, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #208 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London
“Excellent budget hotel. Ideal for solo travellers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Amsterdam has a real shortage of affordable accomodation that isn't seedy and/or downright dirty. Unless you are a backpacker or student who is happy to tolerate uncleaned rooms, dodgy toilets and generally uncomfortable surroundings; expect to pay at least 100 Euro a night on your room. And I'm probably low-balling there, to be honest.

But what about the average traveller that just wants a convenient and clean place to rest his or her head without busting the holiday budget? For that, options are limited in Holland's capital city. However, EasyHotel is an exception to that rule. It's not in the city center, but it's pretty darn close to it. EasyHotel is located in the trendy De Pijp neighborhood. In fact, you might even prefer De Pijp to the "Centrum". The neighborhood has its own impressive array of restaurants, bars, attractions and parks. (It also has some of Amsterdam's better coffeshops, if that's your thing.)

Clean, convenient, affordable and comfortable. This place is somewhat of a gem, actually.

Other reviewers have correctly pointed out how small the rooms are and that you're expected to pay for extras. All of that is true and could be a deal-breaker for those on extended stays or who are part of a large party. Considering what you get for the nightly base price, however, I honestly don't think the room size and extra costs are an issue. And for solo travellers, it shouldn't be a nuiscane at all.

I also found service to be very good and quite friendly. For example, I overslept on check-out day, but wasn't charged for late check out. My locker fee for temporary bag storage was also waived for no reason other than the front desk guy seemed to want to helpful and kind. Others have said that the front-desk service wasn't great. I was lucky and didn't encounter any of that, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility if you get a bad person on a bad day. Your mileage there may vary. Just treat whoever is working the front desk with kid gloves and be extra polite. You're likely to see reciprocation.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Danny v, General Manager at easyHotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear LondonMax1122,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The easyHotel concept is to be basic but comfertable for a low price and we are glad that, this was indeed the experience you had.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at easyHotel Amsterdam in the near future.

With Kind Regards,

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
Mikkeli
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The location - 2 km from City, not so bad walk.
Cleanless - very good.
Shower and bed - best of our trip
Quit, clean,quit cheap, good service and not so bad location - recommented.
We had an internal room which was small but ok.

Room Tip: AN internal room was fine.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ansu69,

Thank you for your nice summeary of to the point marks that describe easyHotel Amsterdam.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel was basic but very CLEAN. I stayed for just one night with a friend. It was perfect. Lots of hotels in Amsterdam are not this clean.
If you are staying for more than a few days it might not meet your needs as there is no closet or dressers. But for a night or two..... perfect!
They do charge you extra for wi-fi Tv early/late check-in/out. They also charge to hold your bags. So it is no frills to say the least.

I'll be resting my head there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Heidihoonthego,

Thank you for your feedback at Tripadvisor.

We'll looking foreward to welcome you back soon, resting your head...

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

It met my expectations. Yes the twin room (415, level 4/top floor, facing the street) was tiny but use of space was good and it was quiet. Generally clean but my only major reservation was the dust! Obviously it had been cleaned but must have been left empty for a while. I was in Amsterdam for a few days to look for an apartment and so I was travelling around the city and the suburbs by tram and train, and I found the location fine for getting to a tram stop or the central station (use tram 16 or 24 for the central station). Actually I really liked the location, in the fairly trendy Oude Pijp, hence it's also within easy walking distance of the famous Albert Cuypstraat market. I paid for wifi (€7.50 per day) which was fast and invaluable for my search and use of a locker on the final day (€5). I knew all such services would be extra before I booked so I came prepared to pay- though if you didn't know this I can imagine it might be annoying. However, the cafe just round the corner (Banketbakkerij Kwekkeboom) has free wifi and you can use the discount card (10% off in this cafe) that the hotel gives you when you first check in. The staff in the hotel were neither unfriendly or extremely welcoming, just ok, but I never really asked them anything. I think it depends who's on the desk at the time. So to sum up, I would recommend this hotel if you're happy with the minimum level of services and paying for the extras (making up the room, cleaning, fresh towels are also paid-for extras by the way, but I didn't need any of these during my stay). If you can get the cheapest rate, I doubt you'll find better in Amsterdam without going to a hostel. Have fun in Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Visit the Banketbakkerij Kwekkeboom cafe round the corner for free wifi and 10% discount :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear the_real_miu,

Thank you for your time to leave a extensive respons at Tripadvisor. Other travelers can use your honest review very much I think.

Please book again and we will be pleased to welcome you back again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms and showers. Bed very good. The room was smaller than I thought. Not for room parties, only for sleeping. Worth the money, though. I would prefer little more space. Receptionist were helpful and friendly.

Dear jsajsa,

Thank you for your review at Tripadvisor.

We are gled you enjoyed your stay so much and we like to welcome you back very soon!!

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

It took us over two hours to find this hotel, it is not located on the main tram line as indicated, but rather round the corner. The staff were not very friendly to us, and we were grunted at in acknowledgement from the blond lady at the desk with the tattoo of writings on her wrist.

The room was like a prison cell, it was very small & claustrophobic, and we could not open the window :( After about 20 mins we had to get out as we were getting a bit stir crazy. We arrived back later at night, and we arranged to pay the extra money for satellite tv. It cost €7.50 and we paid with a €20. We were then given €2.50 in change. I pointed out that this was €10 short, and the lady insisted I had only given her €10. I demanded that she check her till, but she blanked me and started browsing the web on her computer ignoring me completely. I did not wish to cause any further scene, and angrily took my losses. Be very wary of giving them money, as this girl seemed to be scamming me.

We rented bikes on the Sunday in order to traverse the city, and as we were setting off, as soon as I stepped out the door, I was blasted with a wave of marihuana smoke by other residents from the hotel who were using the front door as a smoking area early in the morning, including a doppelganger of Robert Downey JR who blew a huge cloud of dope smoke in my face.

On the Sunday night, our TV stopped working, and after going to sleep, we were interrupted by drunk men banging on our door, who had got the wrong room. On the Monday morning, we were yet again interrupted in the morning by the maid who insisted we had to leave the room to book out, even though we were booked for two more days! I had to go to reception to sort out this error, and the maid and receptionist neither apologised, instead smirking and finding it funny.

To, it's credit, the hotel is served well by a bakery, Dirk the Drogist store next door where you can buy headache remedies, as you will need these after staying here. There is a very handy dump store across the road which sells camping gear, in case you have to leave the hotel in a hurry, and a 24 hour liquor seller where you can drown your sorrows at having picked such a crazy place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Danny v, General Manager at easyHotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Lo P,

Thank you for sharing your finding during your stay at easyHotel Amsterdam.

We are very sorry to hear that you didn't like your stay and had some bad experiences. We like to offer you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We will discuss your remarks with our team to upgrade our service.

We really hope, we may welcome you back, so we can prove the service in a way you may expect from us.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

For starters do not attempt to walk here, especially after visiting a coffee shop, it is around 40 minutes walk away! Put it this way, we saw a LOT of Amsterdam by foot. The number 25 tram does stop just outside though but the trams stop fairly early. Avoid taxis as they are around 40 euros but the cycle- rickshaws are brilliant and cost 20 euros from the red light district. The room itself was very small and the beds were minuscule which is annoying when you expected a double and ended up with twin beds, the shower was great though. The desk staff were friendly enough apart from one woman who shortchanged me by 10 euros when I got change for the vending machine and refused to countenance the idea that she may have been wrong. The surrounding area though remote has a 24 hour shop round the corner manned by a rather surly chap and a decent supermarket. Probably would not stay here again due to the location and single beds but for a business sleepover it would suffice.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Clare T,

Thanks you for taking the time to complete a survey at Tripadvisor.

I apologies you've been shortchanged! I will discuss this issue with our receptionists to avoid any future errors.

Many thanks for the tips mentioned, other travellers can use...

We hope to welcome you back soon, because booking a double bedroom is possible as well!

Danny van Spall

Been to easyHotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!