“Peerless value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of easyHotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added easyHotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
easyHotel Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   van Ostadestraat 97, 1072 ST Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #212 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa, Canada
“Peerless value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This was our first Easyhotel we stayed in, and it was during our backpacking trip to Europe.

To give you a idea of our opinion, we again stayed in Easyhotels in both Berlin and Budapest the same trip.

Easyhotel as a chain is great for budget travelers like ourselves, the price is pretty phenominal. They say that nothing in life is too good to be true and everything has a catch, and Easyhotel's catch is no secret, it's space.

The rooms are TINY (like hard to turn around in tiny). While you give up space, what you get in return is very clean rooms (like almost like "creepy labratory sterile"). The front desk service is very professional and they are very helpful. The location is great, right near a major tram route, and about 10 to 15 minutes from anything you want to see. There are resturaunts and cafes in the area, and the hotel provides you with discount cards to certain cafes.

Keep in mind, everything at Easyhotel comes at a price, Wifi, hairdryers, luggage storage and room cleaning while you stay there. Not a huge hassle, Wifi can be found at the McDonalds just up the road, hairdryers are 2 euro to rent.

So the price, cleanliness, service, and locations are fantastic.

One thing I did notice, and I really, REALLY did not like, and I think the management needs to address, is when I booked the room, the staff had my confirmation paperwork on hand, and while signing I notice that my FULL credit card number, expiry date AND THE SECURITY CODE was printed, in the clear. This means that they store this info unencrypted and that all the front desk personnel have access to it. VERY unacceptable. NEEDS to be addressed.

Needless to say, once I finished my trip I canceled my card and had another reissued.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same and are pretty good/

449 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
David, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

We booked the Easy Hotel because of the price and listed location next to transit. We found the place to be spotless, almost in pristine condition........ but were surprised to find two widely separated twin (read that as single) beds, when we thought we had a double bed....... meaning the web doesn't explain this very well.

The beds are fixed into and wired into the walls so not moveable together so we made do and our baby was next to one or the other of us (so one of us didn't sleep well).

Next, we found out there is no rooom service, no room cleanup or makeup of beds. No linen changes. No TV, No internet. etc.

I mean, most of this stuff one comes to expect and the site says internet etc.

But here, everything came at an additional price....... TV, $5 for regular programming, another $5 for some movies, and $7.50 for internet........ and that is up until 1PM the next day and it turns off. Want more, pay again for another day............ Pay at night, and it turns off the next day at 1 PM!

Want the room cleaned up? $15.

Want another towel of more? $1 Euro per towel.

It reached the point where I asked the desk what do I do with the trash and is thier a charge to bring it down? (Luckily onlythat was free!!).

Now, I am complaining as the place is secure, the people on staff for the most part are great, helpful, give you maps and directions........... even tell them where you want to go and they go online and print out google instructions, which trolly to take, where to get off, which bus etc).....

But the rooms are small, the bath sink, well, you have never seen something so tiny, must have been custom made........ etc but clean, reliable, secure and friendly.......

Did find the crown there mostly younger people (men), meaning they stared at my wife too much........ I guess manners are more prevalent (but not exclusive) to the older generation.......

So I give it 4 stars......... this must be the new thing coming up and it seems like it will work.

One thing, for better or worse, you pay cash for everything in advance or don't get it. There is really no check out since you have no bill......... so make sure you ahve money if you want anything more than a bed and bar of soap!

Room Tip: Call and ask questions as the advertising is not accurate or easy to understand......
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Just checked out of here today and I am craving a good nights sleep...it was hell staying here

Rooms TINY (and I MEAN tiny) smaller than a standard hostel
Windows dont open just a big pane of glass
blinds dont work, sun comes beaming into room from 6am
Air con doesnt work (lowest setting is 19 degrees...but it reverts back up to 21 during the night)

basically its like sleeping in a greenhouse. I couldnt BREATHE.

Check out is 10am. Not 5 past 10, or 10 past 10. TEN and if you arent out on the dot..youll have a bad tempered cleaning woman at your door scowling at you while you pull on your jeans!!

Apart from that it was clean.

Room Tip: All VERY HOT. And it was only May
Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Tenerife, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

That's it. Comparatively cheap for Amsterdam but rooms are small, baggage box (instead of room) costs 5 euro, no free Wifi, bathroom floor could be cleaner...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kielce
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Hotel met all my expectations as to the standard, though not on a lot of prejudiced people. Easily accessible, close to tram stops. The hotel bed, shower and corner - toilet. Clean, accessible Wash and towels. The room itself rather small, but sufficient for sleeping. In the lobby of deposit lockers available for 5 Euro. Very friendly and helpful reception. Hotel offers discount coupons for breakfast at nearby restaurants. A total shame that they do not provide at least the breakfast - it would be much more convenient. Late check-time - about 3 pm and check-out early - by 10 am. I can only attach themselves to a little comfortable bed.

Nashville, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel the first week of April! The shower overflowed all over the floor in my room!!! My wife and I were in a group of 8 and other couples said thier rooms had slow drains also!!! They had to shut off the shower while it drained. We ask for asistance and housekeeping came up and started jamming a screwdriver down the drain and left numerous towels for the mess!!! All of our clothes got wet!!! To make matters worse, we informed the front desk and were treated like criminals!! We asked for a partial refund and they indicated they had to call the manager! After they spoke with the manager he indicated he needed to see our wet clothes out of our bags!!!!! We showed the front desk and then they said it was our responsibility to shut off the shower!!! Very Rudely!!!! I didn't even get to take a shower before we left!!! Don't stay here!!!! Horrible customer service and a rip off!!!!! My first and last time ever staying at an "Easy Hotel"!!!!! Beware travelers!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!! Horrible customer service and a rip off!!!!! My first and last time ever sta...
Stowmarket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had looked for a while to find a reasonably priced hotel for a 4 night stay in Amsterdam. From significant internet research, there was not a large amount of choice for those on a budget who didn't want to stay in a B&B type set up. I was pleased when I found the easyHotel as I knew what I would be getting. As with all of the 'easy' brand products, the hotel was on the basic side - but with a modern feel. TV and WiFi were extra (that I didn't bother with) but the room was clean and tidy and the hotel well laid out and set up.

The location of the hotel is very close to the very large street market, and there are other shops and facilities close by. It is only a short tram ride to the central station and to the other zoned areas. Hotel reception is very helpful and friendly - and it's also worth knowing you can buy the tram tickets from there.

I picked a disabled room when I booked and if you can I would recommend that - it means you get a larger room and a separate bathroom. I actually had a window which looked into an empty corridor area (along with some other rooms) but this area had a window to outside.

It is a very strange concept for a hotel, as I know not all rooms have windows. There is not a lot of furniture - no wardrobe or dresser, but there is a suitcase storage area under the bed and a place to hang up other items. There is no tea/coffee making facilities in the room but there is a vending machine in the lobby. I took a small travel kettle which I bought off ebay for £6 which did just fine. The room wasn't cleaned, or bin emptied during the stay. That might have been nice, but I know that a full maid service was extra and for such a short stay didn't feel it was worth doing. Like others have said, it's only somewhere to go and sleep - and that part can be done very comfortably.

I would definitely go there again and now that I know how easy the hotel is to get to via tram I would recommend to others too.

Room Tip: Pick a disabled room as they are bigger and have separate bathroom rather than the shower area in th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to easyHotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!