“Good basic hotel, decent location, small room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nassaukade 387 - 390, 1054AE Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #226 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good basic hotel, decent location, small room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed in June during the world cup.
Hotel is located near Leiden Square (plenty of restaurants and bars), about a 25 minute walk from Central Station.
Hotel staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful.
Rooms were basic and quite small but clean and what you would expect for the price.
To get in at night you have to ring the intercom but there was always someone there to let us in.
Free WiFi worked fine in our rooms. Free tea and coffee in reception lounge.
Ask at reception for an iron and board.
Hotel was quiet as it wasn't directly next to the hustle and bustle so you can get a good night sleep.
Also there is a Lidl just around the corner should you need it.
Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The hotel is quite friendly. Some rooms are very small. Surprising is the missing basic equipment, e.g. electricity plug at the bathroom (it is not possible to use electric shaver, etc.)! Free wifi (but not always working). Free tea, coffee.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Priam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments and will address your points raised. I trust you contacted our staff with regards to the wifi acces. As we have excellent wifi coverage throughout our hotel we are able to assist with adjusting your settings to use this service fully.

With kindest regards,
Stefaan, Hotel Manager
Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is how incredibly quiet it is. If you want a good night sleep, this is your place!

You are also close to many of Amsterdam's main attractions. Staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. The free WIFI is slow, but you have options to upgrade to a faster speed for a few Euros. Free coffee and tea in the lobby throughout the day. We paid the extra few Euros for a deluxe room and I thought it was a great size for a European hotel.
All in all, great value for the money :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

OMG I have never seen such a small hotel room, no room to move and hot and stuffy, just as we'll we only stayed 3 nights. If you're visiting Amsterdam book a 4star, this was meant to be 3star but I would rate it as 2.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed here last month on business and was terribly, terribly disappointed. Much to my dismay, I did not choose to stay in this property, my company did. I checked in to the first room and found a BED BUG (yes, red little creature) crawling on the bed. I immediately went downstairs and told the front desk agent of the situation - showed her a picture and video of the bug and all. I was then moved into a different room, still terrified. A few days into my stay (I was set to stay 8 nights) I noticed red dots all over my skin; I went down to the front desk to check out early (I couldn't possibly stay in this infested establishment any longer) and the front desk agent - same one as the one who moved my room - who pretty much told me there was nothing she could do for me and had to charge me for the night because I was "within the cancellation period." She did not even help me find a laundromat to wash all of my clothing that came in contact with that hell-hole they call a "hotel." The only person that was even the least bit helpful was the Housekeeping Supervisor who at least sympathized with me. Cut to a month later, all the hotel did to redeem themselves was refund me the cancellation fee; that's it. Despite the fact that I paid for my laundry & had to buy an entirely new suitcase.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay here. It is NOT worth the aggravation.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Monica,

We have been in contact with regards to this issue on several occassions. As you are an employee of one off our biggest suppliers I will not react to your review publicly on Tripadvisor.
We have informed your company about your feed back.

With kindest regards,
Stefaan, Hotel Manager
Higher Bebington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My daughter and I spent 4 days in Amsterdam May. We stayed at the Hampshire. Initially we were in a room 021 but I felt this room to be noisy as it was on the lower ground floor and was quite dark in the daylight. I asked Edourd he night porter if we could get an upgrade and we were moved to the top floor the next dy. Edourd is a super member of the team and we had lots of interesting conversations There is free coffee facilities in the lobby but none in the room.

Room Tip: do not go for 021 as it is on lower ground level
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I visited Amsterdam over Easter and booked this hotel as part of a British Airways holiday package. It was the closest decently priced 3 star hotel to central Amsterdam that we could find. When we booked, we found that it was only a tiny bit extra to upgrade from a standard double room to a superior double room, and I think that made a lot of difference. We were on the top floor and had a spacious room with a comfortable bed, writing desk and clean bathroom. There was free tea and coffee making facilities in the dining room area and the staff were friendly. The location, while a bit of a walk from central Amsterdam, is extremely close to several other attractions such as the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum, the Royal Concertgebau and the city park. All in all we were very impressed. It may be worth noting that, on check out, you need to pay the Amsterdam city tax and this is quite substantial. For two people, three nights over Easter it ended up being about €40 or so.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. It was our pleasure to be of service.

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam? Share your experiences!