“Perfect Budget Hote” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nassaukade 387 - 390, 1054AE Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #227 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Fuerteventura, Spain
“Perfect Budget Hote”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

The best thing of this hotel its its location, it was clean and the check in was efficient and quick, the lift is a bit tiny, but no problem with that. Bearing in mine the arquitecture of the houses in Amsterdam is quiet big, although my room was so tiny, we couldnt really fit the suitcases and us at the same time, my friends room was bigger so I guess that was a matter of luck.
This didnt bother me at all, as We were litterally using the hotel for his purpose when you are on a city break, whick is to sleep and take a shower.
All the other time we were out in the city. They also offer complimentary tea/coffee and water next to the bar, which I think is a nice touch.
This is a nice hotel for a budget holiday, and I would stay here again if I return to Amsterdam, which I will cause I loved the city!!
Just want to go in summer, cause it was so cold!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Since we are located in three former historic townhouses, no room is alike but all have the same facilities. For more comfort (and space) we offer our Superior Rooms, which may be convenient for you in case you revisit us in Summer!

Stefaan, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

The location is great (5-minute walk to Leidseplein and Museumplein). The rooms are clean but simple (no mini fridge or air conditioning). I imagine in the summer it must be a little unpleasant.
Staff was very kind and everybody spoke English.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. The Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District is situated in three former historic townhouses. Altough we are not airconditioned we do have fans in every room for those warmer days in summer.

Hampshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The Hampshire hotel was a complete last minute (literally) booking. Having left a 'hostel' style room refusing to stay in it we finally managed to get the last room on the Easter Weekend. Relieved but loving the location we went to our room. Very basic but clean. The beds were two singles together but very comfortable. The bathroom was in desperate need of replacement with a cracked looking plastic sink and a shower curtain around the old shower. The rooms are very basic and quite tired but clean and central.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. Free tea and coffee in reception and a small bar. The hotel is in a perfect position, by just crossing the road you're in amongst loads of bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: We had a room on floor one but not with a good view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Clare,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I see that you stayed in various hotels in Amsterdam during the Easter weekend. As a valued guest your comments are important to us and your points raised will be handled internally. Thank you for your compliments on our staff, I will be happy to forward your kind words.

Stefaan, Hotel manager
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Definitely a boutique hotel, the rooms were lovely with glassed bathrooms (frosted in places!) and sits right on the edge of Rembrandt square. Plenty of cafés and bars in the square and a short walk to the red light district and other local attractions. Perfect for groups and for couples, we found this hotel to be very well priced and we even got breakfast thrown in

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for your review. From your description of the bathroom I know you stayed at the Hampshire Hotel Rembrand Square and not with us :-). Perhaps when you revisit Amsterdam you would like to stay with us at a stone's throw away from the Leidse Square (Theatre District). You are "More than Welcome".

Kindest regards,
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed in room 112 from 24th-27th march. The room was a perfect size for me and my boyfriend and we both slept very well on all 3 nights. The pillows are weirdly square shaped but were comfortable which is what matters. We arrived half hour before check in which was not a problem and reception staff were very friendly. We had emailed the hotel a week before arriving to get directions from the airport which were extremely easy to follow. The location of the hotel is great and we walked everywhere, however it is very close to the tram stop if walking is not your thing. The only downside to the hotel was not having tea and coffee in the room however you can take it up to your room so it's not too much of a problem. We are planning another trip to Amsterdam and will definatly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Hayley,

Thank you so much for your review. We would love to have you back when you revisit our beautiful city. You are "More than Welcome".

Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I stayed for three nights in January and selected the Hotel based on price and location. Both of which were very good. When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by cold and unreceptive staff who showed little to no interest in their customers. This was disappointing but I didn't think anything more of it. The room was simple, but perfectly adequate for my needs. The shower and bathroom fascilities were good and the TV offered a good selection of channels. My first nights sleep started well, however I was woken early by building work within the hotel. I hadn't been told about this the previous evening, but thought little more about it, assuming a one off. Unfortunately this was not the case. I was subsequently woken up each morning by the work for which the staff offered no apology or remedy. This, combined with the attitude of the staff made the overall experience poor and a disappointment. I would not visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Sir,

I can understandyour dissapointment when reading your review. I personally do not recall speaking to you. I am sure we would have come to a solution. In case you wish to discuss further please send an email to info.theatredistrict@hampshire-hotels.com

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

If you are a couple stop searching for a hotel. This one is what you are looking for.
The rooms were very clean, the bed was perfect, and the breakfast had everything (milk, cereal, bread, croissants, eggs, jam, butter, honey....everything!).

The staff was very cooperative. They helped us find everything and kept the hotel very secure during the night. (although it seemed like the city was preety safe)

Also, the location of the hotel is perfect. We couldn't imagine how close we were to the centre of the city. Leidseplein is two minutes by foot. (also Bulldog coffeshop wich we loved) Since you live in the center of the city, or at least so close to it, you are able to visit everything very fast and easy. You take advantage of each hour of your day and don't have to spend so much time to find your way back to the hotel.

The only "problem" we had was that we could not smoke inside the room and there were not a smoking area besides outside the hotel. But everything else was exactly what we were looking for and even better.

Amsterdam is a great city and I wish everyone a happy FREE vacation!!!
We will visit Hampshire Theatre District again sometime for sure!!!

Room Tip: If you are a smoker ask for a room with a small balcony. Trust me!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Theodora,

Thank you very much fo your review. We appreciate your kind words which I will forward to my staff as well. I understand that a smoking area would be convenient but since we are situated in three authentic former townhouses this simply is not possible. Please visit us again when you return to Amsterdam. You are "More than Welcome".

Stefaan, Hotel Manager

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam? Share your experiences!