“Good location, not good service.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam

You added Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nassaukade 387 - 390, 1054AE Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #221 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
“Good location, not good service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The hotel (for us) was in a good location and is a major reason I am giving it an 'average' and not a 'poor' rating. It's a 5min brisk walk to Vondelpark, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and the night life of leidseplein. It is a 10-15min brisk walk to Anne Frank House, Heineken Experience, Dam Square and red light district. The service from most staff was ok, particularly the man who booked our tour for us, but one of the front desk ladies was plain rude and should not have a job - I think she may have forgotten that this is the 'hospitality' industry she works in! My partner rang front desk to ask if there were some scales we could use to weigh our luggage..in a very rough and unhelpful voice she was told "No of course not!" I also rang the front desk and asked if we could swap our bed pillows with thinner ones? Again I got the same treatment and told "No, I have no pillows, all the pillows are the same!".

Sorry but this doesn't cut it i'm afraid! What sort of hotel doesn't have alternative pillows for you, or at least TRY to find you some? In Athens we were staying in a MUCH larger hotel on the 8th floor and I had new pillows within 2 minutes!

Personally, it felt like staying in a hostel to some degree. The rooms are small and narrow with not a lot of space to lay luggage out anywhere. The double bed was against the wall, so one person can't get out of bed without climbing over the other one! It had a small desk and closet with a safe. No fridge at all however! Also lacked power points anywhere near the bed. Walls seemed quite thick, but the floors must be thin because we heard every little footstep from the room above us! The free tea and coffee in the lobby area was probably the best thing about the place to be truly honest.

I am sure you could find this same level of accommodation somewhere else for a lesser price, or better accommodation and service for the same price. We would likely look elsewhere if we returned.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Rory,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As we are constantly striving to improve our service, our guests' experiences and comments are very much appreciated. I am please to hear you liked the location of our hotels with easy acces to most tourist attractions in Amsterdam centre. Your obeservations and experiences with our staff, however, gave me a bit of concern. I would like to apollogise for the lack of hospitality and service you had to encounter. We will discuss your points raised internally, to avoid these kinds of behaviours form happening in the future.

With kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sunapee, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

If you are looking for a well situated hotel near the Rijksmuseum with helpful staff and good rooms - this is it. I would like to write a balanced review and tell you about problems with this place, but I didn't have any. The room I had was a single and small - but certainly clean, with a good bed, and a good small bath. The hotel is on a main street five minutes from a main tram line at Ledesplein - TRAM 1. When you get on the tram at Amsterdam Centraal ask for a ticket to Ledespein - it will cost 2.80 euros and be good for an hour. Check in and out on the tram. You will see what I mean. The hotel staff I dealt with were excellent - an older gentleman checked me in quickly and efficiently. Two younger staff helped me with directions and with my boarding pass for the airline. They were very good and genuinely nice. There's a breakfast bar that I didn't eat at in the hotel - so I can't speak to that. There's free coffee and tea - and internet access when needed. You can stay here with confidence. Cheers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Davesunapee,

Thank you for your review. It is always great to get feed-back on our hotel an hospitality. Nice to hear you liked our tramsystem. In case you would visit our great city again a tip might be to purchase a 24-hour of 48-hour trampas. It allows you to get around Amsterdam very easily. These ticket are also available at our reception.

Kind regards,
glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

stayed for three nights and the hotel was well located for walking to most of the tourist attractions, particularly the museums, vondel park and theatres.
The rooms are small, just about the smallest we have stayed in, but the room was clean and met our basic needs. The staff were helpful and pleasant.
Breakfast can be pre-booked for a small discount on the price and is good value when compared with prices in cafes. plenty of dining options for dinner within a ten to fifteen minute walk from the hotel.
The number 197 bus goes from the airport plaza to a stop within a couple of minutes walk of the hotel, with a bus every fifteen minutes, so no need for expensive transport options to and from airport.
well worth considering this hotel if considering a short break in amsterdam and looking for reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GlasgowHappyscot,

Since our hotel was built out of three former townhouses our standard rooms tend to be a bit smaller than you would see in other European capital cities. For more convenience we also have larger Superior Rooms. In case you would honor us with your next visit to our beautiful city this might be an option for you. Thank you for your feed-back, you are "more than welcome".

Kind regards,
Bogotá
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here in September, I had a single room which I found unusually tiny and basic for a place that cost about 100€ per night.

Walk out the front door and turn left, there is a cute place to have breakfast with outside seating, I didn't try the hotel's breakfast as I didn't think I would be awake in time.

The hotel's website in my opinion makes it look a lot nicer than it actually is. But on the positive side it is very handily located and the staff were without exception, friendly, efficient and top drawer.

I arrived to Amsterdam from Bogotá via Washington and Frankfurt so I booked my room independently. Friends arriving from the UK seemed to get a much better deal including flights from lastminute.com

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
StefaanvdS, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Theatre District Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear JohnnyBogota,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay with us. It is nice to hear you enjoyed our hotel and staff. I have forwarded your kind words to my colleagues. You visited us in a busy period in Amsterdam , where hotels rates tend to rise. Although our single bedded rooms share all facilities like our standard rooms they are more compact.
Karachi, Pakistan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed there for 4 nights in end of Sep, 2013 to attend a conference with 3 guests. Hotel is fine but expensive (183 Euros/ night) copmared to what it offers. Superior rooms are fine but standard rooms are very small and another group of my coulleagues staying in standard rooms left hotel after just one night and moved some where else. Best thing about hotel is 24/7 coffee machine so whenever you are back to room from chilling outside you can have a cup of your favourite coffee. Wifi was free quite fast, staff was freindly and comfortable with english too. If you are staying you must know there is no restaurent so you have top eat outside but Leidsplein being on 5 minutes walk its no problem at all.

Room Tip: Rooms in the corners are facing road and since there are no ACs you have to open tha windows and tha...