“Best Central Hotel in Amsterdam!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #45 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Best Central Hotel in Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times now over the last 4 years and it never dissapoints! We always go for the junior suite and you get 5 star accomadation with Fantastic views.This time we got room 507, which is basically a Loft apartment! Loads of space,king size bed, massive flat screen and a fantastic glass fronted bathroom suite with jacuzzi bath and separate shower.We had a great view of Dam Sq and the bustling street below. I would reccomend always booking the junior suite, it's a bit extra but so worth it and has the WoW factor!!

• Stayed December 2010
SLAMS, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you very much for recommending our Junior Suites and for the maximum score of 5 bullets. Great to learn we have never disappointed you so far. We will keep doing our utmost to keep it that way.
Thank you for staying with us 3 times already (!). We look forward to welcoming you at least another three times.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Travelled to Amsterdam with my best friend last weekend. We are not party animals by any means but wanted to stay in the center of town. The location of this hotel made it possible for us to stop and refresh before heading out again. We were surprised with wine & snacks upon arrival since it was a reunion trip. The room overlooked a narrow alley but we weren't there for the view -- the room & bathroom were spacious (as far as European standards are concerned). The beds (2 twin beds, side-by-side) were so comfortable that we didn't even realize we'd slept-in the next morning. Breakfast was a nice spread, hot and cold foods/cereals/fruits/beverages, something for all. I'd recommend this hotel for its location (we didn't even need the tram), cleanliness and value. We were looking to stay in an mid-range place - while this was a no-frills hotel it was a better value than some of the other hotels we were looking at.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Thanks a lot for the lovely review. We do invest quite a lot in sound proofing our rooms. Inevitable when you're located where we are, right at Dam Square. Great to read you enjoyed your stay that much.

Customer Relation
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

There's nothing horribly wrong with this place. It's clean. It's central. But if you are used to staying at other Swissotel properties, at least the ones I've stayed at, this place will definitely be a disappointment. It's really a severe stretch to call this a four star property. The hallways are shabby and the carpet seriously needs to be replaced. It's cleaned regularly but stained and nearly threadbare in places. The rooms are totally generic looking, almost hospital-like. Room size was good, though. The mattresses felt really bad, as if they had put some huge foam rubber on top of the mattress itself. Really cheap. There's really no lobby to speak of. The breakfast room doesn't allow hotel guests having their included breakfast to sit in the nicer area near the windows--that's only for paying customers off the street. The front desk staff knew pretty much nothing about the city. Upon arrival I asked about three different areas of Amsterdam and the front desk clerk pulled out a map, circled one small area and said "They're all right here." Wrong. They were also big on saying "I'm not sure, but you can google it" if they didn't know something, even something quite basic. They were, however, polite. The attitude seemed to be that providing good information about the city isn't their job.I don't think there is a concierge or if there was I wasn't able to find him/her. The location is very very central but be warned: this is the most extremely touristy part of town and you will have to go elsewhere to find restaurants or bars that are not exclusively catering to mostly foreign tourists . Think Times Square. I'm not going back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
SLAMS, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback. Let me start by saying that I am sad to learn we somehow dissappointed you. I can imagine though that, being used to some of our sister hotels, our small scale appearance might be unimpressive. This is of course no excuse for presumed shabbyness, as you put it. Although I think our hotel is far from worn-out, your remarks do confirm our decision to start a renovation of the rooms and the public areas.
The way you described the information supply by our front desk makes me assume that some team members might be in need of some training. We DO have concierges, who know the city inside out, but they are not working during every shift. Thanks for the feedback on this matter.
I'm rather surprised about your comments on the bed in your room. I am not aware of a foam rubber top layer on the mattress but I will surely ask our housekeeping people about it. maybe it's an additional amenity, which had not been removed. I really apologize for the inconvenience.
That goes for all the issues you brought op in your review. We will take your words to heart and will do our best to always improve our product and services.

Guest Relations
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

We have just returned from a weekend at the Swissotel to celebrate our friends and our own wedding anniversary. The check in was quick and easy even though all our rooms were not ready,(early arrival) we were able to leave our luggage secure with the hotel. The rooms were very clean and spacious with a lovely king size bed, we were also very pleasantly surprised to find complimentary wine , nibbles and a lovely card in our room. The staff were very professional and nothing was too much trouble for them. The location was excellent right in the middle of Dam Square. I would higly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Amsterdam. We have been to Amsterdam quite a few times and this is the best hotel we have stayed in. We are already looking forward to going back there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Customer Relations at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you very much for highly recommending our hotel to others. This really means a lot to us. We, the hotel staff, are very eager to know what our guests think of the hotel and the service we offer. Great to learn we did a good job during your stay. we hope to welcome you back some day soon.

Munster,Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

Generally fine with good professional staff. Obviously it has a fanatstic location right in Dam Square. Had checked prices online and they were more expensive when we went in. To be honest we were so desperate to get out of where we were(get lucky guesthouse/bedandnet.com) we just picked the first clean, comfortable hotel we could find.

Rooms were clean and comfortable with nice bathroom (couldn't get heated towel rail to work though) and really deep bath. Bed was really comfortable and big.

Don't think I could justify €219 a night with no breakfast though. Bit OTT

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
SLAMS, General Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Thanks for the review. When the hotel is expected to go fully booked - and it is the rule rather than the exception at Swissôtel Amsterdam - rates can rise reasonably. It is actually best to book well in advance and benefit from the special discounts provided for early bookers. I am genuinely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us that much. Hopefully I will be able to welcome you back to our hotel pretty soon.

Harold J. Kluit
Halifax, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

On check in we were greeted by a member of staff who checked us in and provided awet paper towel to freshen up. Our room was on the top floor (6th) not much of a view from the window, just roofs and the church in the back ground, i would imagine this would be quieter than overlooking the square. The Room was quite compact and so was the bathroom, otherwise clean & comfortable. A large King sized bed fills most of the room, looked like 2 twin bed bases with a king matress on top, my partner commented that herside of the mattress sloped, sure a few weeks of dieting would sort that out!
There is a coffee machine in the room and mini bar which has a few things in but enough room to fill with your own drinks/beer if desired.
One thing i did notice was the walls seemed quite thin as you could here the next rooms phone and the people talking. Maybe a problem for light sleepers like myself.
The Trams stop right outside the hotel to take you to the station or other parts of the town, walking to the station is a leisurely 15mins or so.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
SLAMS, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Thank you very much for the review. Great to read you enjoyed your stay. Thanks also for pointing out some issues, which require some evaluation from our side. It is very important for us to know what our guests REALLY think of the product we're offering, especially the parts that leave something to be desired. We constantly want to improve our product and our service, which is impossible without valuable feedback like yours.
Thanks for staying with us and hopefully we will be able to welcome you once again soon.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I just came back from a three night stay at the Swissotel Amsterdam. I got a great deal through Expedia. The location was central. It was a five minute walk from the station. It is right next to Dam Square. There were two nearby tram stops that took me practically everywhere I needed to be. I bought the 2 day iAmsterdam card and it came with free tram access.

The entire staff was friendly. Everyone had a smile whenever I had question. I arrived very early and they were able to get me into my room ahead of check in time. They have a business center with three computers. I was able to use the internet from there. It can be crowded, but it was free.

Whenever I go back, I will be sure to stay at this Swissotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
SLAMS, Guest Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you very much fro granting us full score. That really means a lot to us. Great to read you will definitely stay with us again during your next visit to Amsterdam. We are of course looking forward to welcoming you back.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!