“Impeccable stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Amsterdam

You added Swissotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Swissotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 96, 1012 LP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
17% discount now!
Ranked #49 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Zurich, Switzerland
“Impeccable stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

My husband, toddler (2 years old) and I had a wonderful stay at the Swissotel Amsterdam from May 21-24, 2010. From the moment we checked in to the point we checked out, everything was perfect. The location is unbeatable and all the staff were knowledgeble, friendly and full of friendly advice. True, the rooms were not very big, and the double bed had two mattresses pushed together, but that is common for Europe, so one cannot judge against that. The hotel was within walking distance to most tourist destinations, and we appreciated the central location in relation to the train station (an easy commute from the airport, even with a toddler, large suitcase and stroller). The central location also made it easy to make short stops through the day for the little one to rest (and enjoy the ice cream from McDonald's next door!). The cold juice and water in the lobby were a nice treat too! We can only say that our experience with Swissotels globally has always been positive, and we can always depend on the Swissotel quality. We have no doubt we will stay here again during future visits and look forward to it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
To be ‘impeccable' is more than we can hope for. It really is a great joy to read that you enjoyed your stay that much. Thank you so much for your compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Swissôtel Amsterdam very soon.

Communications Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I spent three days on business in Amsterdam and I can only conclude that this is a great hotel with superb staff. The only disadvantage I can think of is that this hotel does not have its own parking space. However the concierge recommended the parking across the street, which worked fine (but expensive).
Nevertheless very satisfied, and I will surely come back here either for business or on a city trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for bringing up the parking issue. Being right in the middle of the city centre causes some challenges to guests arriving by car. The parking garage opposite the hotel is a safe but pricy option. Since I assume you discussed all options with our concierge I dare say he also mentioned the possibility of Smart Parking. Smart Parking valet service is indeed the cheapest and most convenient way to park your car. It costs EUR 21 per twenty-four hours and it saves you a lot of trouble finding a parking space. A onetime extra charge of EUR 10 applies for bringing the car to the guarded garage in the north of Amsterdam upon arrival. Generally the car stays there during the length of the guest’s stay. Would the guest by any chance need the car during his or her stay the extra charge applies each time the car is brought to the hotel and picked up again. For a 5 night stay – with no intercurrent pickups – this would come to a total of EUR 115. By way of comparison: the parking garage opposite the hotel charges EUR 50 per 24 hours, which would result in a total amount of EUR 250. For parking your car in the street you need a day card and an evening card, which sums up to Eur 45 per 24 hours and eventually EUR 225 for 5 days. In the latter case your car is unguarded.
Thank you very much for your blazing review and granting us 5 stars. We look forward to welcoming you back to Swissôtel Amsterdam

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Amsterdam is a tough place to find a good hotel at a reasonable price. Swissotel seemed good and based on the reviews and photos I'd seen before I went, I hoped for better.

The location is excellent, just off Dam Square and an easy walk to the sites, and you're right in the middle of the action in Amsterdam. The staff was friendly and professional.

The rooms were rather dated and shabby and the whole floor seemed a bit rundown. In contrast to the lobby which is shiny and polished, the rooms are dull and boring. It was clean and quiet but pretty basic accomodation, and for the price (160 euros/night) I expected more.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. Good to read you appreciated our staff and the location of our hotel, which are indeed two of our strongest features. I was sorry to learn you were not impressed by the decorum of our rooms. I dare assume that you stayed in a room which has not been renovated yet. We recently decided to start a soft renovation of our rooms, which is still in continuation. The walls of the new rooms will be covered with glowing taupe greys of varying opacity. To add certain coolness to this colour scheme we have added a soothing angel blue. Most furniture will be replaced or upholstered. The characteristic laminate floors in the suites will all be replaced by a brand new up to standard version. The new look and feel will also apply to most public areas. The hotel lobby has already been submitted to a highly anticipated transformation, as you already mentioned in your review.
I sincerely hope that you will come to check out our new look and feel when returning to Amsterdam. Thank you once again for the review, because it helps us to constantly evaluate our product.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

This hotel is in a brilliant location, as Amsterdam is a fairly compact city you are able to walk everywhere. If arriving by train at the central station, the hotel is a 10-minute walk away. The museums and Anne Frank’s house etc are within easy walking distance of about 15 or alternately get a tram from outside the hotel. The area is very busy, but noise is not a factor, with windows closed and the air con in use. The use of the internet is free to all guests.

The buffet breakfast is priced at a STAGGERING €20, (£16), each, per day ! ! ! This explained why it was very empty. It is far better to find a local place that has a sensible pricing policy ! ! ! The staff are pleasant overall, except ROBERT VAN HENEKE, who gave the impression that you were bothering him with your questions ! ! I thought that was his job ! The hotel is three star premises, despite its 4* claim. The rooms are roomy and adequate, except for the coffee stains that covered two of the walls. In addition to coffee, tea-making facilities, there is a small fridge also. The bedding seem a little two small for the bed and kept slipping off whilst you slept.

I would recommend this hotel to all travellers, but DO NOT buy the extortionate breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for the review. Great to read you loved our location and amenities. Of course I sincerely regret the letdowns, for which I want to offer my apologies. Being treated in a bad way by hotel staff is of course utterly unacceptable. Needless to say we will investigate the matter with the people concerned. Same goes for coffee stains and uncomfortable bedding. All unnecessary and unacceptable. I will definitely raise the matter with the people responsible in order to deservedly justify our four star classification.

Virginia / Tenerife
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

The staff was friendly and quite helpful, the rooms clean and larger than most. The location is ideal, right at Dam Square, which meant we could catch trams in all direction from very close to the hotel. The rate was fairly reasonable for such a well-situated hotel.

We arrived at 4 a.m. (having advised when booking that this would be the case) to find the hotel overbooked and no rooms for us, but they had arranged for rooms for us at the next-door Hotel Amsterdam, at the agreed price, so it was not a problem.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Thank you very much for your positive review. We certainly owe you an apology for not being able to accommodate you upon your arrival. You did not mention the reason but it most probably must have been a room being out of order for technical reasons while being fully booked. I can very well imagine that after a long flight this may put a damper on the start of your holiday. Thankfully we have really good mutual arrangements with the neighbouring hotels in case of overbooking. In your case the Hotel Amsterdam was happy to accommodate you for one night. Although eventually the inconvenience might have been minor we enormously appreciate the way you dealt with the situation and we thank you for returning to Swissôtel Amsterdam the next day.

Swissôtel Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

This is a mix of good and bad - it depends what you're looking for in a hotel, I guess! We had warm, personal and super-efficient service from all of the front desk staff, which made us less likely to notice other things that would otherwise annoy us! Nothing was too much trouble, and they recommended a fantastic restaurant to eat rijstafel, which was probably an unusual request.

I heard there was valet parking, but actually, it is done by an outside agency - the front desk staff call a guy who turns up and takes your car, parking it 7km out of the city. It is certainly cheaper than the parking across the road (50 euros a day, anyone?) but with pick-up fees, special fees, etc, it was still a fair whack. I would recommend unloading your luggage nearby and then parking it round the corner elsewhere instead - we saw parking fees in the 20s per day round the neighbourhood.

The hotel itself is in an unbeatable location. It's clean enough, it has snack machines rather than a minibar which works out well on the budget side of things, it has a restaurant and room service available, it does the job. On the negative side, the bed had a plastic sheet or something straight underneath the normal sheet, which sounded plasticky and didn't make for a good night's sleep - it left a bad impression on me, I have to say. Also, a couple of lightbulbs were out, although equally we were too busy to report them. The staff in the restaurant downstairs couldn't have been less interested, which was a contrast to the hotel staff.

We were happy considering the good price we got through the 30% off Swissotel website deal, and the location and front desk staff are a strong reason to stay again, but as I said, it's a mixed one.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear “Duchess”

Thanks you for the review. After reading it I was happy to conclude that at the end of the day the good things prevailed. Thank you for bringing up the parking issue. Let me start by stressing the fact that eventually the outsourced Smart Parking is indeed the cheapest and most convenient way to park your car. It costs EUR 21 per twenty-four hours and it saves you a lot of trouble finding a parking space. A onetime extra charge of EUR 10 applies for bringing the car to the guarded garage in the north of Amsterdam upon arrival. Generally the car stays there during the length of the guest’s stay. Would the guest by any chance need the car during his or her stay the extra charge applies each time the car is brought to the hotel and picked up again. For a 5 night stay – with no intercurrent pickups – this would come to a total of EUR 115. By way of comparison: the parking garage opposite the hotel charges EUR 50 per 24 hours, which would result in a total amount of EUR 250. For parking your car in the street you need a day card and an evening card, which sums up to Eur 45 per 24 hours and eventually EUR 225 for 5 days. In the latter case your car is unguarded.

I was quite surprised to read about the creaky sound produced by something 'plasticky' underneath your sheet. Upon inquiry from my housekeeping colleagues I dare conclude this must have been the synthetic bottom layer of the mattress pad. If this type of molleton somehow causes any annoying sound, like you put forward in your review, this is of course unacceptable and the molleton needs to be replaced instantly. We need to examine the matter more closely. Thank you very much for bringing it up. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. This also goes for the light bulbs not working. This should have been checked prior to your arrival. Sorry about that too.

A few words concerning the restaurant staff: although Dam Plaza on the ground floor is at first sight presented as the hotel restaurant and serves as our breakfast room it is ‘de facto’ not part of Swissôtel Amsterdam and therefore not managed by us either. This may lead to an occasional divergence of views between the hotel management and the restaurant management considering the service level aimed at. If the commitment displayed by the restaurant staff left something to be desired I want to offer my genuine apologies for that. I will definitely bring up the issue again during our next meeting with the restaurant management.

You pointed out we have a snack machine in the hallway instead of minibar. That is indeed true but goes for our classic rooms on the first and second floor only (we have six floors in total). We had a so called MaxEbar vending machine installed on the first floor. The minibars of the classic rooms are empty but working and can of course be used for storage of refreshments brought in by the guests. The rooms on the remaining floors as well as all junior and senior suites still have a filled minibar.

Now it only remains for me to say thank you for the very useful review. I will pass on your compliments to our front desk staff. I hope you will stay with us again some day soon, like you suggested in your review.

Haugesund
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Me and a friend stayed at Swissotel, Amsterdam during a long weekend in May. We took advantage of their 30% offer for celebrating their 30 years jubilee. I'm glad we did not have to pay full price, because this was disappointing and not what I'm used to from Swissotel. I'm aware that this is a 4 star hotel, but even tough we found it just on the average of what to expect.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Thanks for the review. I regret to learn our hotel somehow did not meet your expectations. I am only sorry you did not specify in your review what actually disappointed you. I understood from your words that you stayed in other Swissôtels before. Compared to our sister hotels, like for instance in Berlin and Istanbul, Swissôtel Amsterdam is a property of rather modest scale. This certainly does not go for the service we provide our guests, which is indisputably upscale. It only remains for me to say that no other hotel – not even in the Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts portfolio – can beat our location right in the middle of the historic city centre. I sincerely hope you have benefited from it to the max.