“Didn’t meet expectations, but ok for a weekend trip” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #48 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Didn’t meet expectations, but ok for a weekend trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

You couldn’t wish for a better location. The hotel seemed very nice, however when we entered the room it was a bit disappointing. Although everything was fairly clean, decor was very tired and desperately needed some work. Air conditioning didn’t work properly, so both nights were a bit restless because there was too warm and not much ventilation. View from our standard room was non-existent, all we could see is another 3 walls 1-2 metres away and a big air conditioning unit. Despite all of this, I’ve seen worse before, so overall hotel was ok. It wasn’t exciting and didn’t meet my expectations at all considering all the good reviews I read before, but neither did it ruin my holiday and was ok for a weekend trip. Although, I would not recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Thanks for the review. Let me start by pointing out that we are currently restyling our Classic Rooms. The room you stayed in was obviously a Classic Room, which had not been renovated yet. As for the airconditioning: the system starts cooling the room when the outside temperature is above 14°C/58°F. When it's colder than that, which was obviously the case when you were staying with us, you have the choice either to let the system heat the air that is blown into the room or to turn on the system without heating. The latter will still have the system refresh the air at all times. If you shut down the system you still have the option of opening your window, although this will of course affect the soundproofing. I wish you had asked our staff for assistance, they are always more than willing to assist in order to avoid any unnecessary inconveniences.
I was sorry to learn you did not really approve of the location of your room, especially the view. We are aware of the fact that the views of our Classic Rooms at the far ends of the building are not very spectacular and I apologize for that. We are situated right in the city centre, being the oldest part of Amsterdam, where the historical, mostly medieval buildings are packed together. I hope we have been able to compensate it with our other amenities and services. As you admitted in your review our location stays on the other hand unbeatable.
I am genuinely glad you enjoyed your weekend in Amsterdam and if you ever think of returning to this city again please do reconsider our hotel again if only for checking out our newly refurbished rooms.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Athens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

best location in the heart of Amsterdam
breakfast price is quite expensive
Should put Internet wi fi in the rooms
friendly helpful staff

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Thank you very much for your review. We are aware of the fact that there are other hotels out there that offer free LAN connections, but only too often the actual internet costs are passed on to the room rate. I will however definitely bring up your suggestion during our next evaluation on this topic.

PR Manager Swissôtel Amsterdam
Western Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

We just arrived from Amsterdam and Swissotel. If we ever go to Amsterdam again, we choose this hotel again with pleasure.
Unfortunately there was a lot of noise during night time. There was some construction work on street, but this wasn't hotels fault.
The service was excellent. Every staff member we met was so polite and helpful.
Location... it couldn't be better.
The hotel was very clean and the rooms are really cosy(we stayed at classic and junior suite 2+2 nights).
We would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SwissAms, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 15, 2010
Dear guests from Finland,

thank you for granting us the maximum score. That's a very generous gesture given the fact that you experienced noise pollution during the night. Like you already said it was beyond the hotel's control but nonetheless we want to apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you ever so much for recommending our hotel. It is very important for a hotel to produce good reviews as most people nowadays will first check Tripadvisor before booking a room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Swissôtel Amsterdam anyday soon.

Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

There are positives about this hotel the primary one is location. Very central or within a short walk (10-15mins) of most other places of interest. There are regular trams that stop nearby. The reception and welcome was fine. Then the problems started. I had booked a twin room - the room was intimate (small) - 121. You could not open the bathroom door if the room door was open or if anybody was standing at the door: I was away with a group of friends. The twin beds were joined together so we had to do a bit of re-arranging the furniture to separate the beds and relocate the night stand. The floor underneath the bed was ffilthy. The view was of a side wall of another building maybe about 5-6 away. The room was dark. We unpacked and then met up with one of our group who said our room was like a suite compared to their "shoe box". His room was even smaller (128). The three of us decided to go to the bar for a drink: we ordered 3 large Heineken beers and they were delivered promptly together with a bowl of nuts. We joked about the size of the rooms then we saw the mice. YES the mice. Two of them joyfully playing running around under the table about 15 feet away. This was in the bar/breakfast /dining area:beside the kitchen. I reported it. Oh my God. The Dutch may be laid back but they were not too fussed about these rodents. Eventually a bar man went into the kitchen and came out wearing gloves and looked around the area that I had pointed out. The beer was quickly finished and we left. No explanation no comment no report. It struck me that we may not have been the first to report this. Our deal did not include breakfast so we did not go back to this area. We did not have another drink in the hotel. The room was quiet because it was not to the front of the hotel but was very warm so we opened the window which allowed every noise in. The bed was comfortable and I slept well both nights though the noise from the alleyway to the side iwas intrusive .
The hotel does not have free wif-fi access but 2hr can be bought for 6 euro:it must however be used up all at the same time. The gym was good as was the business centre.The check-out was ok. the room cost £132per night there is definitely better facilities and value elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Thank you very much for your review. Let me first start by apologizing for the fact that the floor underneath the bed was not clean. This is unacceptable and I have reported it to the people responsible for the cleanliness of the rooms. Concerning your remark on the size of the room: It is actually the general lack of space in the old town of Amsterdam that weighs heavily on the average hotel room size. Even in upscale 5-star hotels you will not find the room size you are familiar with in less densely populated metropolitan areas. Because the greater part of our hotel is constructed in a historical early nineteenth office building it was impossible to let all rooms have the same size. I understand that when travelling with a group of friends this might cause some inconvenience. I sincerely apologize for this. As goes for the climate control in the room. As I learned from your comments the temperature in the room with the windows shut was too high. All our rooms have individually controllable climate control. I dare assume that you first tried to adjust the air-conditioning yourself. If for some reason the climate in your room was not to your likings I wish you had contacted our front office staff. It is everybody’s most important job here in Swissôtel Amsterdam to handle guest complaints on the spot. We want every guest to leave satisfied. Although we really appreciate people taking the time to leave their comments on Tripadvisor (even bad comments) it always leaves us frustrated to know that we might have done something about the issues brought up.
Although it is a challenge to any property operating in any old world historical city centre, there is no excuse for mice dancing on the floor before a guest’s eyes. I totally agree with you that an excuse from the restaurant staff would have been quite appropriate. I have taken the matter up with our F&B manager. Please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience.
Thank you for your comments on our internet policy. We are aware of the fact that there are other hotels out there that offer free LAN connections, but only too often the actual internet costs are passed on to the room rate. I will however definitely bring up your suggestion during our next evaluation on this topic.
Let me leave you by saying that I was really glad that you slept well throughout your stay with us and that I hope to welcome you and your friends back any day soon. And you have to admit: There never was a dull moment in Fawlty Towers …

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

This was the perfect hotel for a stay downtown. It is right in the middle of everything going on and close to the red light district. It was also easy to get to and from the hotel by tram from the train station.

My room was small but typical for Europe. The decor was nice and the room was a perfect tranquil break from the chaos outside.

The front desk staff was increbily helpful and friendly. I had an issue with my power converter and they went out of their way to help me find one that belonged to the hotel that I could use.

If you are looking for a comfortable hotel in the middle of everything this would be a perfect option.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Dear Mateo303

Thank you ever so much for your positive review. It would be so easy to get back home and just go on with your life without taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate you actually did. It means really much to us that our guests leave satisfied. We hope of course to welcome you back soon.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Despite its great location hotel did not offer anything remarkable. It was below standards and definitely far below my expectations as far as the service and the cleanliness of the room was concerned. Being given a room where it was overlooking the busiest street and the noisiest tram station ever possible despite being arrived quite late at night for one night stay wasnt really clever, we couldnt sleep at all.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us in August last year. Although we at Swissôtel Amsterdam are well aware of the fact that being located in the middle of the city centre makes completely banning outside noise practically impossible, I am still surprised to learn you had a sleepless night because of noise pollution. We invested quite some resources in sound-proofing our front side rooms and – as we learned from previous guest reviews – with success. The last tram leaves at 12:15 which makes me particularly curious about what caused most noise.

I am genuinely sorry to read the hotel did not meet your expectations. I only wish I knew which part of our service and cleanliness left something to be desired in order to be able to discuss it with the people responsible and actually do something about it. That is why reviews on Tripadvisor are very important for us, because they give us the chance to keep on improving our product.

Public Relations Manager
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We've just returned from Amsterdam and greatly enjoyed staying at Swissotel, Amsterdam. The staff were excellent, most helpful and very professional. Reception staff smiled and greeted us everytime we passed by reception and provided prompt, accurate information about transport, etc. Our room was very comfortable, good cleanliness standard. Breakfast provision was excellent and the staff again very helpful. One particular young man looked after us extremely well and made us feel most welcome at breakfast every morning. We would definitely return to this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!