“Excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Western Finland
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

We just arrived from Amsterdam and Swissotel. If we ever go to Amsterdam again, we choose this hotel again with pleasure.
Unfortunately there was a lot of noise during night time. There was some construction work on street, but this wasn't hotels fault.
The service was excellent. Every staff member we met was so polite and helpful.
Location... it couldn't be better.
The hotel was very clean and the rooms are really cosy(we stayed at classic and junior suite 2+2 nights).
We would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SwissAms, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 15, 2010
Dear guests from Finland,

thank you for granting us the maximum score. That's a very generous gesture given the fact that you experienced noise pollution during the night. Like you already said it was beyond the hotel's control but nonetheless we want to apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you ever so much for recommending our hotel. It is very important for a hotel to produce good reviews as most people nowadays will first check Tripadvisor before booking a room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Swissôtel Amsterdam anyday soon.

Swissôtel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

There are positives about this hotel the primary one is location. Very central or within a short walk (10-15mins) of most other places of interest. There are regular trams that stop nearby. The reception and welcome was fine. Then the problems started. I had booked a twin room - the room was intimate (small) - 121. You could not open the bathroom door if the room door was open or if anybody was standing at the door: I was away with a group of friends. The twin beds were joined together so we had to do a bit of re-arranging the furniture to separate the beds and relocate the night stand. The floor underneath the bed was ffilthy. The view was of a side wall of another building maybe about 5-6 away. The room was dark. We unpacked and then met up with one of our group who said our room was like a suite compared to their "shoe box". His room was even smaller (128). The three of us decided to go to the bar for a drink: we ordered 3 large Heineken beers and they were delivered promptly together with a bowl of nuts. We joked about the size of the rooms then we saw the mice. YES the mice. Two of them joyfully playing running around under the table about 15 feet away. This was in the bar/breakfast /dining area:beside the kitchen. I reported it. Oh my God. The Dutch may be laid back but they were not too fussed about these rodents. Eventually a bar man went into the kitchen and came out wearing gloves and looked around the area that I had pointed out. The beer was quickly finished and we left. No explanation no comment no report. It struck me that we may not have been the first to report this. Our deal did not include breakfast so we did not go back to this area. We did not have another drink in the hotel. The room was quiet because it was not to the front of the hotel but was very warm so we opened the window which allowed every noise in. The bed was comfortable and I slept well both nights though the noise from the alleyway to the side iwas intrusive .
The hotel does not have free wif-fi access but 2hr can be bought for 6 euro:it must however be used up all at the same time. The gym was good as was the business centre.The check-out was ok. the room cost £132per night there is definitely better facilities and value elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Thank you very much for your review. Let me first start by apologizing for the fact that the floor underneath the bed was not clean. This is unacceptable and I have reported it to the people responsible for the cleanliness of the rooms. Concerning your remark on the size of the room: It is actually the general lack of space in the old town of Amsterdam that weighs heavily on the average hotel room size. Even in upscale 5-star hotels you will not find the room size you are familiar with in less densely populated metropolitan areas. Because the greater part of our hotel is constructed in a historical early nineteenth office building it was impossible to let all rooms have the same size. I understand that when travelling with a group of friends this might cause some inconvenience. I sincerely apologize for this. As goes for the climate control in the room. As I learned from your comments the temperature in the room with the windows shut was too high. All our rooms have individually controllable climate control. I dare assume that you first tried to adjust the air-conditioning yourself. If for some reason the climate in your room was not to your likings I wish you had contacted our front office staff. It is everybody’s most important job here in Swissôtel Amsterdam to handle guest complaints on the spot. We want every guest to leave satisfied. Although we really appreciate people taking the time to leave their comments on Tripadvisor (even bad comments) it always leaves us frustrated to know that we might have done something about the issues brought up.
Although it is a challenge to any property operating in any old world historical city centre, there is no excuse for mice dancing on the floor before a guest’s eyes. I totally agree with you that an excuse from the restaurant staff would have been quite appropriate. I have taken the matter up with our F&B manager. Please accept my apologies for the unpleasant experience.
Thank you for your comments on our internet policy. We are aware of the fact that there are other hotels out there that offer free LAN connections, but only too often the actual internet costs are passed on to the room rate. I will however definitely bring up your suggestion during our next evaluation on this topic.
Let me leave you by saying that I was really glad that you slept well throughout your stay with us and that I hope to welcome you and your friends back any day soon. And you have to admit: There never was a dull moment in Fawlty Towers …

Communications Manager
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

This was the perfect hotel for a stay downtown. It is right in the middle of everything going on and close to the red light district. It was also easy to get to and from the hotel by tram from the train station.

My room was small but typical for Europe. The decor was nice and the room was a perfect tranquil break from the chaos outside.

The front desk staff was increbily helpful and friendly. I had an issue with my power converter and they went out of their way to help me find one that belonged to the hotel that I could use.

If you are looking for a comfortable hotel in the middle of everything this would be a perfect option.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
SLAMS, Communications Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Dear Mateo303

Thank you ever so much for your positive review. It would be so easy to get back home and just go on with your life without taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate you actually did. It means really much to us that our guests leave satisfied. We hope of course to welcome you back soon.

Communications Manager
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Despite its great location hotel did not offer anything remarkable. It was below standards and definitely far below my expectations as far as the service and the cleanliness of the room was concerned. Being given a room where it was overlooking the busiest street and the noisiest tram station ever possible despite being arrived quite late at night for one night stay wasnt really clever, we couldnt sleep at all.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us in August last year. Although we at Swissôtel Amsterdam are well aware of the fact that being located in the middle of the city centre makes completely banning outside noise practically impossible, I am still surprised to learn you had a sleepless night because of noise pollution. We invested quite some resources in sound-proofing our front side rooms and – as we learned from previous guest reviews – with success. The last tram leaves at 12:15 which makes me particularly curious about what caused most noise.

I am genuinely sorry to read the hotel did not meet your expectations. I only wish I knew which part of our service and cleanliness left something to be desired in order to be able to discuss it with the people responsible and actually do something about it. That is why reviews on Tripadvisor are very important for us, because they give us the chance to keep on improving our product.

Public Relations Manager
Swissôtel Amsterdam
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We've just returned from Amsterdam and greatly enjoyed staying at Swissotel, Amsterdam. The staff were excellent, most helpful and very professional. Reception staff smiled and greeted us everytime we passed by reception and provided prompt, accurate information about transport, etc. Our room was very comfortable, good cleanliness standard. Breakfast provision was excellent and the staff again very helpful. One particular young man looked after us extremely well and made us feel most welcome at breakfast every morning. We would definitely return to this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

This was our first time in Amsterdam and we were delighted that we chose Swissotel. We cannot praise your staff high enough for our stay. From the moment we arrived and met Diego at front desk we were given all the advice and help we asked for and in a caring and professional manner.
The hotel is ideally situated right in Dam square and is very close to the station and canals.
Our room was perfect and the standard of cleanliness was very high.
We own a hotel ourselves in England and we are very aware of standards (and the fact that you can't please everyone all the time!).
We are both looking forward to our next visit already.
A special mention to Luigi (concierge) who was so helpful to us and is a perfect representative for the hotel.
Thanks Luigi and thank you Swissotel.
Mark and Kim.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

I returned last week from the Swissotel in Amsterdam. Whilst I did feel that in general the staff tried to be polite and said the right things - they were less than adequate when things went wrong - polite but totally unhelpful.

I arrived in the evening and was put in a room that was incredibly noisy on the 1st floor. It was also extremely hot even though the windows were open (the heating system seems to be faulty in some rooms) - I had to close the window because of the street noise, and went immediately to ask reception for another room due to the noise. They said they were full - I went back to the interenet and tried to book another room of the same price - there was availability - at the least, they had nicer rooms available I discovered the next day.

That night I struggled to sleep between the noise and the heat - I used earplugs. The next night the heat was so bad, and I could not open the windows. The air conditioning was broken - they must have known this which is why the windows were open when I arrived. So I was in an incredibly loud room (on the street), with a faulty heating system that just kept heating it to get hotter and hotter. I called an attendant just before 6am to try and sort it - he said there seemed to be a problem with 3 other rooms - this was the 4th now - (I later discovered there were more). There was nothing he could do but bring me a ridiculously large and roaring fan that was worse than the noise outside. He said to speak to the manager the next day. I finally fell asleep at around 6.30am and woke at 11.

I spoke to the manager. She was polite but offered no compensation for my two nights of poor sleep. No upgrade, no free breakfast (after I slept through breakfast), just a half bottle of wine and some chips appeared in my room I noticed. She simply moved me to another room and checked that I was okay with it. I said yes - it was the same size - facing a brick wall. I opened the window, this time to be greeted to the noise of a loud boiler, and guess what, the air conditioning in this room wasn't working either - it boiled up. I only had one more night so grinned and beared it.

The room service food was very average for the price (though not extotionate) - the pasta was poor, the sirloin adequate though a little burnt for medium rare - the portions were always too small though. The worst was when I phoned during the night menu and got through to reception (who double as room service it seems) to be told there was no ice cream left- so I had a cup of soup - he seemed a little curt that I had asked for food past 22:30 at night (though the late night menu is on display). I only did this because my original meal was not big enough - and I am not a big eater.

The location is excellent and so is the business centre. The staff are generally very pleasant - but alas my stay here was unpleasant due to the faulty heating systems and noise of the hotel. This could have been amended with some sort of compensation or sincere apology - neither came (nor was asked for) - I have a slight gut instinct with this, perhaps I'm wrong, but I do not think this hotel cared too much for me because I am in my mid twenties - maybe if I was older with a family - they would have compensated or done something to make up for putting me in a totally uninhabitable room for two out of my three night stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
SLAMS, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
Thank you for your review. Let me start by expressing my concern about the challenges you faced while trying to control the temperature in your room. Since our airconditioning system is a brand new one and has only been installed last year I assume the issue has not so much to do with malfunctioning as it has with miscommunication. Our climate control system is an open system, which continuously pumps fresh filtered air from
outside into the building. Depending on the outside temperature the air is either heated or chilled. When the outside temperature drops under 15°C/59°F the climate control machine will automatically start heating the water running through the closed network of tubes in order to warm up the air. When the outside temparature rises above 15°C/59°F the machine will start chilling the water producing the opposite efect. During your stay it was freezing rather fiercely outside, which must have caused the system to turn on the heater. This does however NOT mean, that your have no control over your room temperature anymore. It is at all times possible to turn off the heater, which will prevent the system from heating your air supply. Turning off the heater will not stop the system providing your room with fresh air. The only thing it will not do is chill the air. It goes without saying I sincerely regret that somehow this has not been clear or communicated properly. I want to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused to you.

When in the front part of the hotel opening the window means letting in the huzzle and buzzle of Dam Square. Being right in the middle of the city centre has made us decide to invest heavily in sound proofing. The rooms at the sides of the building are a bit quieter with the windows open, but have a less exciting view, like you brought up in your review. Once again: with an airconditioning system functioning properly opening rooms should not be necessary. If our means of communication have left something to desire I want to offer my apologies for that.

I will send a direct message to your Tripadvisor mailbox shortly in which I will invite you to send us your details in order to see if there is anything we can do to compensate the inconvenience.

PR Manager

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!