The only other Swissotel I have stayed in is the one in Lima, Peru, and it was beautiful. This one in Amsterdam, not so much.
I'll echo all the comments you read here about the location - it's excellent. Trams 4, 9, 16, 24, and 25 stop right in front of the hotel, and a bunch of others one block behind the hotel. It's a 10 minute walk to Central Station, or the next stop on any of the trams headed north.
The staff has been nice, no complaints there.
The gym is adequate (open 24/7); actually that was one of the reasons I chose the Swissotel was so that I could use the treadmill and not many hotels in Amsterdam seem to have a gym. The three computers with free internet access 24/7 was very nice as well.
I booked my room through Orbitz since they had a $40 off coupon for 3 nights or more, so it was cheaper than the rates being offered directly through Swissotel's website. It was a non-refundable rate, booked the day before arrival - $697 for 5 nights - Monday - Saturday, plus 5% city tax which the hotel will charge me for (I already paid Orbitz the $697). This was a great rate, and would have been even more disappointed if I would have spent more money than this.
The hotel has ZERO character. The hallways looks like a cheap cruiseship. The first room I was given had stains on the toilet, used soap by the sink, and an almost empty water bottle. It was an ugly room, very uninviting and sterile.
I returned to the lobby and was provided a different room right away. This room was clearly a newer, more updated room. It actually had wood, so some contrast in the room and exactly as is shown in the previous reviewer's pictures. Clearly some rooms are much nicer than others decor-wise, however the room was still pretty skimpy.
So if you want some character in your room, don't stay here. Otherwise it was adequate, but did not meet the expectations I had of Swissotel.
The last hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam was a modern B&B called The Weber and I loved it, very cool minimalist place by the Leidseplein. I would stay there again, while I would not at the Swissotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissotel Amsterdam boasts the best location in town, right at Dam Square in the heart of the city centre. Being just 20km from Schiphol Airport and a short walk from Central Station, this 4-star hotel offers a perfect base for your stay in Amsterdam. All major sights and attractions are within walking distance. Offering 110 soundproof rooms and suites, Swissotel Amsterdam makes a quiet and comfortable haven amidst a bustling density of high-end shops, restaurants and bars.All rooms include a Nespresso coffee machine and individually controllable climate control. Hotel guests have free access to Swissotel Amsterdam Fitness, featuring state of the art cardio-vascular equipment, and to the Business Centre, providing free internet and office supplies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Swissotel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Swissotel Hotel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Swissotel Hotel
- Swiss Hotel Amsterdam