“And I thought Swissotels were REALLY nice...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Beverage!
Ranked #52 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Houston, TX
“And I thought Swissotels were REALLY nice...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

The only other Swissotel I have stayed in is the one in Lima, Peru, and it was beautiful. This one in Amsterdam, not so much.
I'll echo all the comments you read here about the location - it's excellent. Trams 4, 9, 16, 24, and 25 stop right in front of the hotel, and a bunch of others one block behind the hotel. It's a 10 minute walk to Central Station, or the next stop on any of the trams headed north.
The staff has been nice, no complaints there.
The gym is adequate (open 24/7); actually that was one of the reasons I chose the Swissotel was so that I could use the treadmill and not many hotels in Amsterdam seem to have a gym. The three computers with free internet access 24/7 was very nice as well.
I booked my room through Orbitz since they had a $40 off coupon for 3 nights or more, so it was cheaper than the rates being offered directly through Swissotel's website. It was a non-refundable rate, booked the day before arrival - $697 for 5 nights - Monday - Saturday, plus 5% city tax which the hotel will charge me for (I already paid Orbitz the $697). This was a great rate, and would have been even more disappointed if I would have spent more money than this.
The hotel has ZERO character. The hallways looks like a cheap cruiseship. The first room I was given had stains on the toilet, used soap by the sink, and an almost empty water bottle. It was an ugly room, very uninviting and sterile.
I returned to the lobby and was provided a different room right away. This room was clearly a newer, more updated room. It actually had wood, so some contrast in the room and exactly as is shown in the previous reviewer's pictures. Clearly some rooms are much nicer than others decor-wise, however the room was still pretty skimpy.
So if you want some character in your room, don't stay here. Otherwise it was adequate, but did not meet the expectations I had of Swissotel.
The last hotel I stayed at in Amsterdam was a modern B&B called The Weber and I loved it, very cool minimalist place by the Leidseplein. I would stay there again, while I would not at the Swissotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
SLAMS, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 21, 2009
Dear guest from Houston,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. Good to read you appreciated our staff and the location of our hotel, which are indeed two of our strongest features. I was sorry to learn you were not impressed by the decorum of our rooms. Frankly, we were not happy with it anymore either and decided to start a soft renovation last fall, which is still in continuation. The walls will be covered with glowing taupe greys of varying opacity. To add certain coolness to this colour scheme we have added a soothing angel blue. Most furniture will be replaced or upholstered. The characteristic laminate floors in the suites will all be replaced by a brand new up to standard version. The new look and feel will also apply to most public areas. The hotel lobby has already been submitted to a highly anticipated transformation.
I sincerely hope that you will come to check out our new look and feel when returning to Amsterdam. Thank you once again for the review, because it helps us to constantly evaluate our product.

Public Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

We chose the Swissotel primarily for its location and the fact that we can depend on the chain for decent service and rooms. The hotel did not disappoint us there but, as mentioned before, this branch of the chain is a notch below the others when it comes to decor and available services.

The location is very central and you can walk almost everywhere in the city, even the art museums if you are willing to spend the 30-40 minutes. It is across from De Bijenkorf, one of Amsterdam's top department store with an excellent food hall on its top floor - a good choice for some of your meals. The Kalvertstraat shopping street is directly behind the hotel and the Nieuwe Kerk and Royal Palace around the corner. Many of the city's tram lines stop in front of the hotel and most of the rest stop two blocks away near the big Albert Heijn supermarket where you should be able to find almost anything you would need during your visit.

One of our rooms was ready the morning we arrived and we stowed our bags there before heading off to get some brunch before checking back to see if the other room was ready. My room was not clean when we checked back but the desk clerk found me a clean room without any prompting on my part. Most of the rooms overlook 'streets' on the sides of the hotel that are about six feet wide. The only ones overlooking anything but other walls are those on the short sides of the hotel at the back on the Kalvertstraat or the expensive Executive rooms overlooking the Damrak and Dam Square. Windows are double paned and it was surprisingly quiet given how noisy the neighborhood is. The rooms might be described as modern? Very while and blue and somewhat sterile. I did not mind it at all but anyone looking for character will be disappointed. Everything worked well and there was the usual impressive Swissotel espresso machine. The beds were quite comfortable, the TV had English language channels so you could keep abreast of world news and it was easy to keep the room at the desired temperature.

This hotel really has the atmosphere of a small hotel. There is a small work out room and a room with three computers for guests to use on the same floor. The lobby is tiny and the desk staff double as the concierge. One bellman on duty. They were all very good and they gave you the impression that you were staying in a more upscale hotel with very personal service. The restaurant was okay - not great and not horrible.

We paid just over $200 a night for our room and I would definitely return to the Swissotel if I could find rooms at that price again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
SLAMS, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 24, 2009
Thank you for having been our guest lately. I hope you had a pleasant trip back home. Although you didn’t find us ‘as Nice as Your Typical Swissôtel’ I am however very happy to learn you would definitely return to the Swissôtel Amsterdam if you could find rooms at that price again. We are more than happy to welcome you back.

Thank you for writing your very informative review.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

My girlfriend and I recently spent 3 nights at the Swissotel Amsterdam and I could not have been more pleased with both the property and the service. We showed up with no reservation and the lady at the desk was about as good as it gets. She really could not have been more accomidating and helpful, from the minute we checked in until the day we left this women did not hesitate to offer help in any way she could, outstanding staff overall. I could go on about the many things I loved about this hotel; A+ Location, free internet in the Swissotel Office, great gym, charming appearence. While I don't forsee myself traveling to Amsterdam again anytime soon, I will no doubt recommend this hotel to anyone & everyone making the trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear GlobalMarley,

Thank you very much for granting Swissôtel Amsterdam 5 bullets. It is very important for a hotel to produce good reviews as people nowadays will check Tripadvisor first before booking a room. It really is pure joy to read that you couldn’t have been happier you’re your Swissôtel Amsterdam experience. That is what we are ranking for.
I really appreciate you taking the time to write your review and although you don’t foresee yourself returning to Amsterdam shortly I do hope that when the opportunity occurs you will choose Swissôtel Amsterdam.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Located beside Dam Square you won't get more central than this and yet it was quiet so no problem sleeping. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was average size and kept clean. Excellent restaurant attached to it. If I return to Amsterdam I will have no hesitation staying here again.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed in the Swissotel from the 23rd to the 26th October 09 with my boyfriend. I looked it up on Tripadvisor before booking it & was happy with the reviews so i went ahead & booked it.
On first impressions the hotel looks plain & small. On entering the lobby it is small but welcoming. Luigi, the reception was very chatty & welcoming to us. We arrived in the hotel about 10am even though check in isnt until 2pm, they allowed us to check in. The room was smallish compared to what Im used to very clean & tidy. The bed is very comfy. The bathroom is small with a bath & overhead shower. I would of liked a handrail to help get into/out of the bath. Light fittings around the bathroom mirror was very nice.

The hotel is located right next to Dam square & though there was a funfair on the square, noise wasnt a problem. Our room backed out on to a lane way, but we'd no problem with this as we didnt book into the hotel for the view!

Bedsheets/ towels can be changed everyday if you place a card on the bed requesting it, or leave the towels on the floor. On our first morning there though, house cleaner knocked on the door at 9am, which i considered way to early!

The location is excellent, the staff are friendly. The cost of the 3 nights stay was €407 which is a little bit high for considering its location I would stay here again. Its within walking distance of all attractions, ie red light district, canal tours, wax museum etc.

I would definetly stay here again, and wouldnt hestiate in recommending it to my family/friends.

Venlo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

We visited the Swissotel Amsterdam last weekend. We booked a junior suite and this was amazing! We could see the Dam Square from our room and all the attractions of Amsterdam are within a couple of minutes walking.
This hotel offers an excellent service and really has friendly personnel. Even the cook was really friendly and asked several times if he could do anything.
This hotel deserves a good recommendation!

La Mesa, California USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

The only reason I did not give this property a "very good" instead of "good" is it just seemed a bit run down to be a Swissotel...Stains on carpet and curtains, a few cracks in bathroom tiles, just looked a little dated.

However, the location is excellent, just next to Dam Square (our room even had a view of the Square) -- very convenient to all the major attractions in the city and close to the main train station.

The room was large and comfortable -- it was quiet once we managed to get our window shut properly. We got a good deal on hotels.com booking last minute; I'd recommend that and also the Swissotel Web Site had some posted specials.

Not as nice as other Swissotel properties I have stayed in, but excellent location. Wireless Internet was available for a fee; Business Center was free but you had to use their computers. This was a bit of a bummer for a property that is supposed to be aimed at business travelers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Swissotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!